Extended test drive - balleballe

I was wondering if anyone could help me in this situation.

I am interested in purchasing a Kia Optima. Beautiful car but unsure how it drives.

I have a test drive booked this Sunday, but it's likely just a 30 minute drive.

Ideally I would like to have the car for a couple of days as I travel up and down the UK so I can see exactly how it handles every situation and how it is to live with.

If I tell a salesman this - they'll probably just laugh their head off. I've tried to look at car rental companies but none have the kia optima.

Any help would be appreciated

Extended test drive - Happy Blue!

Tell them that you are unable to make any informed decision without a proper test drive over a 48 hour period to assess matters such as long distance comfort and practicality of use in a variety of situations..

If you are prepared to stand firm, then you should get what you want.

Extended test drive - thunderbird

When we bought our Ceed SW the dealer (small independant) let us go alone for 2 hours. Much better than your average test drive and it convinced us the car suited us just fine.

If you want one for 48 hours hiring one may be the only option.

Extended test drive - tony g

(If you are prepared to stand firm, then you should get what you want. )

I doubt it ,it's more likely they would consider your someone looking for a weekend freebie .

If you can find a dealer who has the car you want ,offer to pay a fee to rent the car for two days ,pay the equivalent fee to a similar car from hertz etc .You will need to provide your own insurance . Agree with the dealer that the fee will be deducted if you buy the car from him . That would be a more realistic proposition for both parties .
Extended test drive - RT

Tell them it's a company lease and get Kia UK's help - most manufacturers will organise longer test drives - I've had long weekend test drives from Vauxhall and Subaru.

Ive asked the local dealer about the idea of perhaps renting the car for 48 hours for a fee, but this is not possible.

Funnily enough I am the director of a company so I might go down the route of telling them its a company lease. Im assuming its probably better to go through kia UK rather than approach the dealers themselves?

Extended test drive - skidpan

Im assuming its probably better to go through kia UK rather than approach the dealers themselves?

Dealers sell cars, Kia UK import them. You cannot buy them direct, you have to buy them from a dealer. Kia UK (or whatever they are called) do not have a showroom.

Extended test drive - RT

Dealers sell cars, Kia UK import them. You cannot buy them direct, you have to buy them from a dealer. Kia UK (or whatever they are called) do not have a showroom.

But all manufacturers/importers support their dealer network, particularly on fleet sales - they don't simply wait for dealers to place orders !

Extended test drive - veryoldbear

The trouble is that if he gets too mnay miles put on a brand new car, he's probably going to have to sell it off as an ex-demonstrator ...

Extended test drive - RT

The trouble is that if he gets too mnay miles put on a brand new car, he's probably going to have to sell it off as an ex-demonstrator ...

I can understand an unregistered car on trade plates being very limited on mileage for demos, someone will buy it after the odometer has been zeroed and think they've bought a brand new car with "delivery" mileage.

But for a demonstrator, that's been registered, and usually gets financial support from the manufacturer/importer - there's no reason not to use it for demonstations and then sell it as "nearly new".

Dealer principles often use whichever is their "nicest" demonstrator for the weekend - so why not use them for their intended purpose.

Extended test drive - bathtub tom

I worked for a company that delivered 'demonstrators' to business customers for trial. IIRC they had them for up to a fortnight at a time. The compound had dozens of cars and vans, none of which were more than a couple of months old.

I don't know how you arrange to get hold of one, but it must be possible.

The local dealer I rang had one that was an ex-deemo with around 9k on the clock already. But they're not willing to play ball

Extended test drive - 72 dudes

Might be worth calling Kia Fleet Services on 01932 283943, say it's a company purchase and you want a 48 hour test drive. Checking the website, you can request a 7 day demo, sounds exactly what you want!

I don't think Kia and Hyundai are as geared up for fleets as the "volume" brands.

About 10 years ago while driving company cars, I was always getting 2 and 3 day test drives to help me choose the next one. All the manufacturers were falling over themselves to supply demonstrators, and would deliver them to my office. Most of them seemed to come from a central location near Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire.

I suspect the recession and cost cutting has reduced this type of arrangement.

Edited by 72 dudes on 26/06/2013 at 13:47

Extended test drive - 1litregolfeater

Although an extended test drive might make you feel more comfortable, it probably won't tell you much.

I'd ask to come to test a car that hadn't been started for 48 hours, open the bonnet, and listen while it was started. Listen for any rattles or any whisp of oil from the exhaust, which will soon be disguised by the cat.

Maybe rent it for a week?

Extended test drive - 72 dudes

@1litregolfeater. With fleet based demonstrators, you don't actually buy the car you test drive!

It just gives you an idea of the engine/trim variant you want and how it's going to perform day in, day out.