Replacing 2002 Mondeo - Still Looking - IRC

I'm still looking. As recent petrol Mondeos are like hen's teeth I'm considering a diesel.. Although I'm a low mileage driver 7-8k per year the mix includes a regular 19 miles each way commute. The 19 is a 7 mile urban followed by 12 mile fast motorway run. So as the engine would be warm when I hit the motorway I'm hoping that would be enough to avoid DFF issues.

I test drove a 2.0 TDCi. At £12300 it is as cheap as any petrol examples I've seen. Drove OK. The salesman was unable to show me any service history though as it was allegedly locked in the admin office over the weekend. As the car was a 2012 with 17K on the clock it was due a service on mileage regardless of first reg date. This was a Ford dealer. Wasn't impressed with the small crack in front windscreen or scuffed alloys either. Though at the price for a 2012 car?

Any issues to worry about with a 2.0 TDCi if I find a good one?

I also test drove a 2011 old shape Focus. A 1.8 zetec. I had expected it to be nippy as it had the same 1.8 engine as my old Mondeo in a smaller car. Felt a bit sluggish though. Brakes felt heavy. Only drum at the rear. The steering felt a bit heavy.

I'm still considering an Octavia 1.4 TSE when I can find one to test drive but I'm a bit concerned by various reports of camchain issues. Would a low mileage 1.4 TSi and subsequent annual oil changes at my 8k miles per year reduce the chance of problems.

Replacing 2002 Mondeo - Still Looking - gordonbennet

I suspect the car with the locked away paperwork was an ex renter, nothing wrong with that so long as you know the pifalls and they don't try to palm it off as a normal ex lease car.

Considered an Avensis? lots of petrols around.

Replacing 2002 Mondeo - Still Looking - greenhey

I moved kast year from a 2009 Zetec 2.0 TDCi 140 ps to a 2012 with 163ps.

I had always found the 140 to be an excellent balance of performance and economy,so I had great expectations of the 163.

In fact I don't notice much difference in performance , but it is turning in an mpg about 4 lower than the 140.

Replacing 2002 Mondeo - Still Looking - Avant

That's interesting, Greenhey. I was wondering whether to put the C-Max on my shortlist, and annoyingly to get the 2.0 TDCI with 163 bhp you have to have the Titanium X which has more bells and whistles than I actually need.

Maybe the extra oomph of the 163 is at the top end which one rarely uses, so that the 140 would be fine.

Replacing 2002 Mondeo - Still Looking - unthrottled

Only drum at the rear.

Bonus. Drums on the rear axle are pretty much service free and great partners to proper mechanical handbrakes. Rear disc brakes are best left to to the chavs who paint the calipers British Racing Green for improved performance.