Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - dazg04
Hi I'm trying to change the front brake pads but the calliper on the passenger side will not retract. The hand brake is off and I have removed the cap on the fluid pot. Is this because the calliper is seized or am I missing something.

Thanks

Darren
Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - bathtub tom

I'm doing the disc pads on my Nissan this weekend. I've a piston retracting tool that makes the job easier, but a G-clamp will do as well.

Whatever you do, don't lever against the disc, you'll probably distort it.

Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - dieseldogg

I believe I recall the Citroen BX had brake caliper pistons that required to be screwed back in.

One thing the otherwise mostly useless Haynes manual got right.

Yes, cos I still got the tool I fabricated from a short length of water pipe to do so.

I never did figger out how or why though.

Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - gordonbennet

C5 handbrake works on the front brakes, a wind in tool will be required, i have done the job on other wind in calipers with water pump pliers when no wind in tool available but you risk trapping or pinching your skin when the grips slip, which they will.

Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - Cyd

I've previously used a pair of thin nosed pliers for this task.

Now I've got one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-NEW-BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-22-34-PIECES-SET-/360643337387?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53f8049cab#ht_2600wt_958
well worth the money.

Citroen c5 estate hdi 2003 - Retracting the front callipers - SteveLee

Yep, you need a wind-in tool. Older Citroen pistons could be wound in using a small electrical screwdriver. driving two notches in the piston.