Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - driver a24

Hi I am wanting to turn my v70 into a 7 seater but I just cant seem to find the right conversion pack anywhere all the breakers dont seem to have them and if I do end up finding some then they sre for a pre 2000 v70 and apparently they are completely different. Can any one help? Oh snd does anyone know if a 850 and xc70 reat boot seat fit in a v70? Many thanks.

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - RT

What year is your V70 ?

The XC70 is just a V70 with 4wd, suspension lift and a body kit.

The three generations are 850/V70 (1991-2000), V70/XC70-P2 (2000-2007) and V70/XC70-EUCD (2007-onwards)

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - thunderbird

This will open a huge can of worms for you. Your car was built by the factory as a 5 seater and is thus homologated as that on your V5. Any changes you make will need to be noted on the V5 and will probably need an engineers report to ensure it has been done safely. Seat belt anchorages are usually a major stumbling block in these conversions.

Your insurers will also have a say since the number of seats will change from the original car.

Just buy a 7 seater, its not worth the hassle.

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - Cyd

As an ex Professional Automotive Engineer who spent many years involved with crashworthiness engineering, I have one simple message:

don't do it. Sell the car and buy a 7 seater.

The issues surrounding the crashworthiness of 7 seaters and the safety of the rear passengers are many, varied and complex, particularly when the vehicle is subjected to a rear impact.

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - Minni

But if you only need 6/7 seats only 3-4 times a year and simply love your V70...

Compared to 7 seaters like Zafira is V70's 3rd row seat any less safe than in Zafira where your head is against the rear window?

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - coopshere
If you are prepared to risk the life of your children even for one second let alone 3 or 4 times a year then I'm glad you were never of parent of mine. There are two very good reasons above why you should not do it but the best reason of all is the safety of your passengers.
Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - Minni

I just wanted to know why is it more dangerous than having a Zafira where your head is agains the rear window'?

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - gordonbennet

I'd like to know how we managed to survive before purpose people carriers (yuk) became the must have.

When i was a nipper we didn't have a car so i rode behind me dad on his Velocette and without a crash helmet...he should have been locked up..;)

When i get reincarnated i promise not to jerry bolt 3 child car seats into the rear of an old Rover P6/Cortina/Land Crab as i was guilty of, instead i'll buy a blinking great Toyota Landcruiser Amazon on the drip, the kids'll go hungry and cold as i pay it off but they'll survive road armageddon and tree huggers will hate us.

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - veryoldbear

Hoorah for the Land Crab. That was a great wagon and we had one when the nippers were tiny.

I too did the bolting of the seats ... quite a lot of people at that time just used to cart their small people round on their laps ...

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - Cyd

You may well have the time on your hands to read War and Peace repeatedly 3 or 4 times, but I do not have the time to type it.

How do you expect me to condense a dozen years Auto R&D into a post on here???

30 years ago the deaths on our roads was nearly 3 times what it is now. That's why some of the stuff we got up to back then isn't acceptable now. I used to drive on Road (or Night) Rallies - loved it, but simply not acceptable behaviour on the roads now though it was fully legal at the time.

You can take my advice or leave it. As you wish.

Edited by Cyd{P} on 08/08/2013 at 22:59

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - veryoldbear

It's an interesting point though. The old-style rear facing seats as used by Volvo and the very early Saabs were probably pretty good in the case of normal front-end collisions and even in side collisions. They may well not have been particularly popular as it's difficult for the people in the front to check what is going on right down the back, particularly with regard to seat-belts, general misbehaviour and car sickness.

The rear facing seats may well have been problematic for rear-end shunts both from the point of view of leg injuries and actually getting people out if the tail gate got distorted.

The current "people carrier" third row may be better on a number of counts, but is probably slightly worse in the case of a front-end shunt, particularly if the little blighters undo their seat-belts to play about. And if all the seats are occupied there is very little luggage space left.

Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - tony g
Hi,
Many years ago i had Toyota Camry estates with factory fitted rear facing seats ,as company cars .Mainly because they didn't sell as new cars .

I had young children then but would never let them ride on the rearmost seats .

The reason being ,we took a Camry estate in for repair that had been in a rear end shunt ,The damage wasn't that extensive ,but the effect it could have had on rear passengers would have been horrific .The rear screen had shattered and small pieces of glass had been thrown forward ,into the area the children occupied ,in addition when I tried my seven year old in the seat ,her feet rested on the rear tailgate ,As a result of the impact ,the tailgate had moved forward about two inches !
If you need a car with 7seats ,cars like a zafira with forward facing seats have to be much safer .
Volvo V70 - rear boot conversion seats - Sam49

Were those the Camrys with double rear wipers??

An answer to the origninal question: My family had a couple of Volvo 240 estates over the years. My parents bought them second-hand as 5 seaters but Volvo would install the 7-seat kit, which folded into the existing underfloor compartment. This retro-fit option was one advantage over cars like the Renault Savanna/ Citroen CX/ Pug 504/5 where you had to search out an existing 7 seat model. I'm afraid I was too young to realise the implications on insurance etc! I'm not sure if Volvo still do it, probably not.

I guess safety was compromised compared to todays models but this was a good few years back and at least Volvo provided seatbelts for everyone, which at the time, not all manufacturers did. On big holiday trips we also had the added "protection" of at least 3 bikes on a rack at the back! Those cars herocially lugged us round - they were proper rigs!