Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - wigsy12

I'm looking for a good value, reliable and solid family estate. With a budget of around £5-6k, and annual mileage of around 8,000 miles, I don't know whether or not to go for:

A 4 year old VW Passat 1.6 Diesel with +140K miles on the clock

A 7 year old Mazda 2.0 Diesel with 65K miles on the clock

A 5 year old Skoda Octavia 1.6 with 40K miles on the clock

A 5 year old Ford Mondeo, with 60K miles on the clock

Or am I missing a trick - and should I be looking for something comletely different!?

The trade off for age vs High mileage vs Petrol consumption is too complicated - I'm not sure where to start! Various surveys will all say differing things. This forum was recommended by a friend for the great advice he recieved when purchasing his car. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - RT

At 8,000 miles/year and limited budget, ie middle-aged car, then it has to be a petrol - diesel should be out of the question.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - coopshere
General consensus is that for your annual mileage petrol would be your best bet. However as you are looking at older cars in the main diesel is a possibility. The problems with modern diesels and higher mileage relate to the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). If you can find a diesel engined car without either then you should be OK. There will be others who will disagree with this general view as with any discussion forum. What you will need to do is research these two subjects and decide for yourself whether you think an older diesel with either component is worth the risk of a major outlay later on.
Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - wigsy12
The problems with modern diesels and higher mileage relate to the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF).

Where can you find details of these? I can't find any references to it in the listings. (sorry - it's a whole new world to me!)
Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - coopshere
Wiggy, for information about DPF and DMF problems just do a general Internet search on those subjects and you should see lots of choices to read from. To add a little balance there are some models who seem less prone to problems than others so also search the specific model you are looking for. As you will see, so far there are not many here suggesting that diesels for low mileage use are not a good bet.

As far as petrols are concerned I would also suggest looking at the Toyota Avensis. I have a 2010 model, which is my first ever Toyota, and am very pleased with it. Take a look at the Toyota forums and you won't see many negative posts about them either. I would not recommend the diesel version however as they do get engine problems with the ones in your price range.
Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - gordonbennet

The two petrol cars stand out as obviously better contenders.

Now bear with me a moment and try not to groan aloud, if one were to buy either of those and shopped about they could get either one LPG converted for just over £1k, making them low mileage Diesel fuel efficiency compatible vehicles.

Not saying one should do so, its just that most people think of LPG conversion in simple monetary or payback terms, when in fact if you had originally posted that for an extra £1k you could buy either of the two bottom cars and they would be as fuel economical as the top two it would have been a no brainer.

OK thats me off the LPG soapbox, back to the list.

Passat will have electric handbrake so factor in a £800+ time bomb ticking away should that go wrong, its done 140k so i'd only consider it for throwaway money.

Mazda 6 Diesel???...do a search here and spend hours nay days reading the horror stories of dealer indifference/denial, barge pole job.

Bottom two it is then out of this list.

Consider Avensis estate petrol preferably, and Accord estate petrol or Diesel.

I'd not considered LPG - Thanks for the tip off - I'll look more into it. Thanks also for pointers towards Avensis and Accord - how come the Diesel Accord is a recommendation when other older diesels are a no no?

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - gordonbennet

how come the Diesel Accord is a recommendation when other older diesels are a no no?

Lots of older Diesels are excellent, VW's PD for example and PSA's pre FAP.

Its the later fully electronic stuff thats a bit dubious especially when you chuck a DPF into the mix, Hondas 2.2 Diesel does have a very good reputation, Toyotas 2.2 Diesels are known for CHG problems though Toyota will honour problems up to 100k and 7 years IIRC so long as the car has a good preferably Toyota service history.

Your budget puts you into DPF territory in some higher mileage Diesels, probably best avoided...Mazda 6 if you read up is the shining example of a pigs breakfast.

Wasn't trying to persuade you into an LPG conversion, we run two LPG cars and are not looking to go back to petrol or Diesel ever if possible, but its not for everyone.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - TeeCee

Only drawback with LPG is that the Channel Tunnel has a strict "thou shalt not" policy on the carriage of LPG fuelled vehicles.

That may or may not be an issue, depending on what you want to do with the vehicle.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - Avant

I agree - go for petrol. The Octavia and Mondeo are the best of this bunch (if the Mondeo is a petrol and there are plenty around if this one isn't).

You needn't be afraid of high mileage but 140,000 is a bit too much. A car that's done 8,000 to 12,000 a year is ideal. Avoid diesel Mazdas like the plague, but a petrol Mazda 6 is a very good reliable buy, as is a Toyota Avensis. There are more Octavias and Mondeos to choose from, though.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - Sam49

I've had a 2007 petrol Avensis estate for six months. It's 1.8VVTi 55k and was in your budget from a Toyota dealer.

I got it because, with a new family, I wanted the same things you want and it's great. The boot is massive, it's economy is decent, it's reliable and ridiculously comfortable on long trips. I considered a diesel one but petrol does the job - it'll sit at 80 no worries and there is enough power to keep up. Of course, you haven't got the dieselly torque, so for any sharp overtaking on A-roads, you might just, you know, change down a gear...it's not hard! But this car isn't for racing around in anyway - it's just a nice cruiser.

The little things make the difference: The rear doors open wide so it's easy to get the baby seat in, and there's so much leg room in the back, the front passenger seat can still be a good way back with the base unit and seat in. And I like the looks and the scarcity value round these parts - lots of Avensis, not many Avensis estates.

Why did I go for it over the others suggest above? Well, I like Toyotas for a start. Funnily enough there weren't many Mondeos about of comparable spec, age, mileage and petrol at the time but I did like them, ditto Mazda 6. I discounted the Octavia because so many of them did't have curtain airbags. Some people may snort at my "moddle-coddling" and argue "active safety" but that's just my consumer preference with cars.

Anyway, this may help, or it could be just me justifying my own purchase - good luck!

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - LikedDrivingOnce

Good post Sam49! Lots of usefull tips there for the OP.

Buying a Toyota doesn't provide absolute certainty (nothing does) - but it shifts the odds heavily in your favour.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - barney100

Put Volvo on your list...V70 petrol. mileage isn't too much of an issue and they go on and on with just a bit of TLC.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - Cyd

At your mileage (similar to mine in my car - i have a van for working) diesel should be avoided like the plague. Any issues with DPF, EGR valve or DMF will simply batter your wallet.

You should look at the Saab 9-3 Wagon. I have an Aero saloon (at 8k I'm not overly bothered about consumption, but I get avg 30 - 32mpg from a 260hp motor). It's a lovely car - very smooth and quiet with suffient room for family and a good sized boot. The range is available with a variety of power outputs.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=99578

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - Cyd

with your low mileage I'm also assuming you do plenty of short runs. This is another reason to go petrol, diesels take much longer to warm up affecting economy if used on shorter runs. Also a comfort factor in the winter.

Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo? - Best value Family Estate for around £5000 - ablandy

As you mentioned a family car, how about an s-max? 2.5T petrol is around that price at around 90k miles. Huge, nice to drive, very quick for a car of its size and makes a lovely noise when you give it some welly.

Fuel consumption is not horrendous (get about 28mpg on mine, mix of central london and motorway driving) and you have a lot of space and practicality. The boot is enormous and the rear seats slide to give more or less boot/leg room.

Had mine for a few months and im very pleased with it.