Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Nsar
I've got up to £15k to spend on an estate with leather interior that's going to last me 4 years, putting about 15,000 miles on it each year. From a depreciation and servicing/repair costs point of view, which is better for me, a 7 seater 1997 or 1998 E Class auto 300 TD/240 with 90 to 95,000 on the clock (£13,500 to £14,000) or SAAB 95 2.3 Aero or SE from 2000 with 40000 to 50000 on the clock (£14,000 to £14,500). Audi A6 is not an option in my book! Thanks for your replies
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Mazdaman
How about a Volvo,

you can get all you need for a cheaper price, and the engines are incredibly reliable. More space than the other two as well.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Martin Wall
Agreed - a 2000-on Volvo V70 should be available at this price and sounds like a better idea than a big mile older Merc.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Mike H
A good 9-5 will take the miles well, at the end of the day it's your money, drive both & see which you prefer - it's likely that running costs will be similar over 4 years I suspect. The Saab will probably depreciate more.
Anyone got any thoughts on how much more though? I'm afraid Volvos are right out, it's enough of a strain accepting the need for an estate, never mind a cardigan and slippers car.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - DavidHM
Up to you, but at 24 and phitht, I'd rather have a new V70 (00W on) than either of the cars you suggest.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Steve S
Indeed.

"it's enough of a strain accepting the need for an estate, never mind a cardigan and slippers car."

So speaks a man who has never driven a V70 T5!

Nsar,

Why not try a V70 (pref a 2.4T as the best balance) and then come back and tell us that it isn't the best drive of the options you list?
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - volvod5_dude
>>Why not try a V70 (pref a 2.4T as the best balance) and then come back and tell us that it isn't the best drive of the options you list?

Steve,

Totally agree, plus the fact the V70 has been voted the Best Estate for the past few years. Also best Diesel Car this year.

VD5D.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - SjB {P}
I agree, too, having looked at all options, and put my hard on wedge on a V70 2.4T SE that I collect in a few weeks.

As well as being the best estate in estate terms, I love the looks of the V70, and was amazed how well it went, as well as how refined it was.

If people think Volvos are pipe and slippers cars, they are at least ten years behind reality! ;-)

Estates: SAAB or Merc? - joe
Oh go on, let him have what he wants!
"let him have what he wants!"

Err, he asked for opinions?
Excellent, hornets nest, that's what forums are for. Surprised no Merc or SAAB fans have come to the defence. I had a look at prices on V70s which are marginally cheaper car for car against the 9-5. I don't know what to say about being 10 years out of date, I see them on the roads and to my eye, the styling still has a furniture-like quality, but no, I haven't driven one for years so I need to look closer. The power of brand snobbery is pretty strong I guess...
Thank goodness no Audi fans have joined in, now there's a marque that really hums
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Mike H
Surprised no Merc
or SAAB fans have come to the defence.

I did......but kept it low key! I have a 9-5 saloon, and the estate is generally reckoned to be one of the best big estates. Having had more than a dozen Saabs over 20 years, I can safely say that you will love the 9-5 estate, but the same can be said of the Merc I gather. Trouble is, you are asking for *opinions*, which is all we can give. All three (Merc, 9-5, V70) will go on forever. 9-5 will depreciate more but is possibly nicer to drive than the others - hence my comment, you need to try before you buy. If it's important, the 9-5 has a slide-out boot floor which holds 200kg fully extended - great for taking the mother-in-law on a picnic......o).

Another benefit of the 9-5 is that as it depreciates more, by careful selection you could get a good deal for cash when buying, so you will lose less in the long term when you come to sell.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Orson {P}
the 9-5 has a slide-out boot floor which holds
200kg fully extended - great for taking the mother-in-law on a
picnic......o).

Is there a nice hole for putting the body into whenyou've finished??

O
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - dom grimes
I've just swopped a merc 220 for a saab 9-5 estate ( 2.3t), the saab is superb - comfortable, massive in the rear and the auto box is a pleasure. The Merc was a good drive but expensive to service, never less that £350 when it went in also needed a new gearbox and about 5 sets of injectors over its life( 100k). having had 2 mercs recently, a c-class and an e-class I'd say the build quality was no better that any other car on the road. You're paying to look at a star on the bonnet.

Dom
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - joe
Yes but, it seems to me that he has an entirely healthy prejudice against Volvos.
"healthy prejudice" - an oxymoron?
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Crombster
I'm 22 and have just bought an S60, and thats coming from a background of modified cars! Pipe and slippers is a bit out of touch with reality nowadays. If I had the need for an estate, show me a V70 T5 over the rest anyday.

Having taken on board some of the comments here I went to a dealer to have a nosy round a V70. It was absolutely wetting it down so I was inside looking at a newy. A couple of things struck me 1. the amazing variability of the paintwork - orange peel on rear quarters, mirror finish on the tailgate. I wasn't looking for it, it just leapt out at me 2. The instant willingness of the salesman to start discounting, they were knocking out pre-reg 2.4 SE for £6k off list (I haven't checked against list so this might be pinch of salt territory)and used prices were offered with £1.5k off marked without him pausing for breath - seems odd for Estate of the Year. 3. was the sense of deathly mundaneness sitting at the wheel. It looks from the outside and inside like a car designed by someone who hasn't actually seen a car, but has had a few described to him. If you fancy one of these, get a wad of cash and fill your boots, they're very keen to offload them. I won't be and I think I know why. Sorry Volvo fans, but I did have a look.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Pigboy
I've just bought a '99 Subaru Legacy GTB estate - awesome. Loads of room, all wheel drive, twin turbo 280bhp and great handling. Mine had 29000 miles full leather and climate all for £12k - check out autotrader. Subarus are very reliable, only downside is thirst for super unleaded - otherwise great car. Autocar rate the legacy as good as 3 series apart from 'dull interior'. Good luck with your choice.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Martin Wall
Hi - I understand your point about discounts but this is because it's a big expensive car and this is actually a recession so there aren't that many folks looking at big petrol estate cars at the moment! Also this is a quiet time of year for car sales anyway so if the salesman doesn't sell he doesn't eat!

If you do a lot of miles the the Volvo is an excellent mile-eater - it's not a sports car by any means but it's well built and well designed. It really needs a long drive to appreciate it. It also needs leather (SE-spec) to look good as the velour just looks cheap I think.

Anyway as you don't fancy one I'll leave it at that :-)

Good luck!
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - nick
I'll second the Subaru. I've just bought a 2000 W plate 2 litre GL (poverty spec) saloon after trying most of the obvious competition. Streets ahead of most of them with the exception of the interior which is a bit dull and it lacks a few toys. But beautifully engineered. A mate of mine has a '96 2.2 estate which so far has been totally reliable. Great to drive too and a bit different.
Sorry you didn't get to drive one, especially those mentioned.

Obviously you have a huge problem with the image and that's your perogative.

I think you would find that the Saab dealers will heavily discount as well - the Merc dealers won't because people are prepared to pay over the odds for the Merc's image.

I have and do own Mercs, Volvos and Saabs and have been more disappointed by recent quality & finish on Mercs than the others. Could be I expected better, but I feel they get away with a lot on the back of a reputation that (in the main) they no longer deserve.
Cant argue with such strong opinion. It will be interesting to hear where you put your cash though.

Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Martin Devon
Nsar. I'll give you cardigan and bl**dy slippers. I run a '93 Volvo 850GLT auto 20v. Done 87k and is mechanically perfect. You have obviously never bothered to try one and prefer to think with your mouth! Try it. If you can attempt to be unbiased for a while I'll be amazed if you don't like it. 2 stage 'box. Economical if you wish, (for a petrol) Also goes like stink if your mood changes. My next is a T5 or a 2.4T Not much like it for the money.

Regards.
Calm down Martin! Yes you have read my post correctly and I haven't driven one, but design/aesthetics are an important part of my car choice and if I think a car looks so awful inside and out that I wouldn't want to spend a large portion of my life in it, then I'm unlikely to want to own one am I, so why bother test driving something I don't want? I am not criticising people who choose to drive them, just the people who design them.
Thats a matter of opinion. Not being a long term Volvo fan myself, I bought one because I felt it was a more attractively designed car inside and out than what was on offer from Merc, BMW & Audi for similar money.

Personaly I think BMW interiors are nice, functional but plain. Mercedes interiors have improved tremendously with their more recent models. The old style C Class was certainly far from being the leader of the pack.

Saab have always been a bit more adventurous with their cabin, however its not to all tastes.

I dont think the Volvo is so radically designed that you can question the designers ability. In a similar way no one can question your taste. It would be a boring world if everyone drove the same type of car!

Nsar

Buy what you feel happy with, I personally like V70s but understand they are not to everyones taste. There is nothing wrong with Saabs, I think the convertable looks better than Volvos effort, Volvo use an outdated design, I can't understand why anyone buys them. I definitely wouldn't buy a Skoda or any VW ( run for cover). Still like Cromster says it would be a boring world if everyone drove the same type of cars.

Cheers

VD5D.
Slightly surprised no-one has suggested something from VAG. I personally find them too austere and the one VW I had (Corrado 16V) was the worst car I've ever had by a country mile, tons of fun to drive but the reliability on a new car was a disgrace.
Still hoping someone can offer some insight into probable values of both cars after sticking 70-80,000 miles on them over 4 years.
>>Still hoping someone can offer some insight into probable values of both cars after sticking 70-80,000 miles on them over 4 years

Try asking HJs advice by emailing him direct.

VD5D
I did ask if he knew any websites which offer this kind of info, but he wasn't aware of any - closest I've got is the tables off the AA site which deal with depreciation from new over 4/5 years. I suppose you could look at Parkers mileage adjustment tables and project forward but with residual value being such a key element of car ownership, new or used, that I thought someone might offer this to the general public - regrettably I don't have access to Glass's.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - zarqon
Have you considered moving away from the premium brands – your money would buy you a lovely new shape Mondeo estate, (my local dealer has Ford Direct Ghia estates for £13k) with plenty of guarantee left and it would easily last you 4 years. It may not have the badge, but its an excellent car and will be cheaper to insure, fuel, service and maintain.

Cheers
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - Clear Spot
Interesting, I have thought about the 130bhp Diesel, but would need an auto, and therefore need convincing that this is a good combination esp. for towing? Also a shame about that mean little 12.5 gallon tank.
Estates: SAAB or Merc? - pd
To be fair to Volvo, the V70 is actually one of the newer designs in the class.

The E-Class, 9-5, 5-series, Passat & A6 Avant have all either reached or are near the end of their design lives.