VW Passat TD 2003 PD 130 Estate - Cambelt change intervals - JonestHon

Can someone here shed some light on the correct intervals of the cambelt change?

Got the car at 90k in 2008 and got it changed as it was missing from the history. It had a new belt and new water pump fitted (metal impaler).

The manual for the car is missing so I had to look it up online.

The car is now at 150k fully serviced (every 10k) and run like a dream. I found an online vw document saying the AWX engine need the belt changed at 80k miles but ringing VW in Bristol and they reccomend 60k, who should I believe?

Edited by ModelT on 15/06/2013 at 21:24

VW Passat TD 2003 PD 130 Estate - Cambelt change intervals - craig-pd130

In the US market they suggest 80K mile change intervals, in the UK & European markets they recommend 60K. As it's now 5 years since it was done, my 10 pence worth is that I would think about getting it changed in the coming few months for peace of mind. I don't believe it's recommended to go beyond 6 years between belt changes in any case.

659, a regular Back Roomer, is very experienced with these engines and I'm sure will along soon: he'll give a fairly definitive answer to this question.

VW Passat TD 2003 PD 130 Estate - Cambelt change intervals - cws

Go with 60K - I always did when I ran VW 1.9TDI diesels (and even then had an OE tensioner pully fail on me at 55K, causing the belt to shear...).

Change the water pump at the same time (if you hadn't planned to already) - seem to remember 659FBE saying the drive pulley on the water pumps are under alot of pressure on the PD engines, so a change every time is good practice. Also I'd change the auxilliary belts too, whilst you've got the front end of the car off - makes it much easier. Get ContiTech belts too > cheaper and not made in the Far East, unlike VW OE belts!

Finally, if you're planing to hold on to the car for a while, and you haven't changed it already, replaced the alternator clutch pulley - these are a known faliure point as well, and again, much eaiser to replace when the front end of the car is removed.

VW Passat TD 2003 PD 130 Estate - Cambelt change intervals - Big John

VAG Cambelt service interval was revised a few years ago to 4 years 60k.

My Octavia 1.4 16v petrol was originally 110k (service manual) but tensioner failed at about 50k / 2.5 years - fortunately without throwing belt off - just made a noise. Since then I now change at 4 years 40k including waterpump on this engine.

I also have a 2003 Skoda Superb 1.9 PD where I always change at 4years/60k inc waterpump and antifreeze.

If it were me I'd change it (inc water pump & tensioners) now!