Toyota Avensis - Toyota Avensis diesel-timing belt or chain? - Galad

Just bought a brand new Avensis D4D (2ltr) after 7 blissful years and 65k miles in a petrol version. Does the diesel have a belt or chain? Can't find any reference in the handbook or service book if there is a belt and when it should be changed. There's also no advice about driving styles to avoid problems with blocked DFPs.

The sales guy told me not to worry about my driving style or supermarket diesel, contrary to everything I've read on this and other sites about modern diesel engines. My daily commute is 45 miles round trip mostly on the motorway with around 20% of that within 30/40 mph zones. I had hoped that there would be a indicator on the dash to tell me when the DPF is regenerating but should I play it safe and drive in 3rd gear for 20 minutes once a week just to be sure the filter is kept clear?

Beautiful motor BTW, although it's a pity that Mr T has discontinued the hatchback version which can hold everything including the kitchen sink!.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice!

Toyota Avensis - Toyota Avensis diesel-timing belt or chain? - Cyd

I'd be interested to know how you only did 65k in 7 years with a 45 mile daily commute. What's the secret? The commute alone is 10k pa.

Note that HJ recommends petrols if you do less than 15k pa.

Edited by Cyd{P} on 15/06/2013 at 20:57

Toyota Avensis - Toyota Avensis diesel-timing belt or chain? - Galad

Sorry should have said I bought the car in Nov 2008 when it was 18 months old as a demonstrator from a main dealer with just 1.5k on the clock (the recession had kicked in and I got a bargain at £8.9k for a T3x).

Toyota Avensis - Toyota Avensis diesel-timing belt or chain? - unthrottled

The sales guy told me not to worry about my driving style or supermarket diesel, contrary to everything I've read on this and other sites about modern diesel engines

Correct.

but should I play it safe and drive in 3rd gear for 20 minutes once a week just to be sure the filter is kept clear?

No.