Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - csgmart

This is the first car I've had with a DAB radio. I've noticed that almost always on the hour the sound is muted for a few seconds. This invariably cuts out the 'pips' and the beginning of the news.

Is this something that is common on DAB radios or a peculiarity of my radio?

I did wonder if the pause in sound allowed the DAB signal to 'sync' itself with the FM signal - not sure why that would be needed though....

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - John Boy

Is it connected to the Signal Delay paragraph on this page?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Is it connected to the Signal Delay paragraph on this page?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Possibly - I wouldn't know tbh. It's a Mercedes Benz fitted radio (2012 model) - just curious to know how they work and if this is a 'feature' of DAB radios...

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - bathtub tom

Could you have TA (Traffic Announcements) turned on, but at zero volume?

Could you have TA (Traffic Announcements) turned on, but at zero volume?

It's possible but the silence only lasts for about 5 seconds which would be too short for a TA?

Edited by csgmart on 13/06/2013 at 13:43

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - NARU

I don't get that on any of my DAB radios (three around the home, all from different manufacturers). I don't have one in the car, so can't comment on that.

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - David Stead
I get this with my Vita Audio R1 home radio and would like to know the reason why the sound is muted for a few seconds on the hour. Haven’t studied it in detail but it happens regularly with BBC and other stations
Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - David Stead
After more research, I found this explanation posted in 2017 on another forum:

“ It's an issue with certain dab radios and BBC stations (only BBC!).

I have a Roberts dab in my kitchen which does the same thing.

The radio stations beam out a signal before each news or traffic report so that your radio can pick it up and retune to the new station. Certain radios get in a tiz when they pick up the signal and switch off!

That's what my Roberts does all the time. It's very annoying. Roberts acknowledge it's a problem that the BBC created within the last 12 to 18 months. Apparently BBC techs are trying to fix the issue.”

So I was wrong about others stations, it’s specifically a BBC problem. 4 years on and their engineers still haven’t fixed it...
Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - Andrew-T
Roberts acknowledge it's a problem that the BBC created within the last 12 to 18 months. Apparently BBC techs are trying to fix the issue.”

I seem to remember that when DAB came in, the hourly pips were a few seconds out of sync with 'real life'. Might that be at the root of the problem ?

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - Bromptonaut

I seem to remember that when DAB came in, the hourly pips were a few seconds out of sync with 'real life'. Might that be at the root of the problem ?

The DAB delay remains. I tend to listen from early doors on Long Wave, via an earpiece, while Mrs B's radio alarm is DAB. It's several seconds behind.

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - Archie35

Not quite sure I believe that - could just as well be Roberts blaming someone else for their own issues!! I have a Roberts DAB radio from 2009 ish, and it has no such problems (and only ever gets used on Radio 4, often left on for hours at a time). Nor do I get this problem in any other DAB radio, car (VW) or otherwise.

My suspicion is that it is either a muted traffic announcement (a problem which I have had before myself, typically when my wife turns the TA announcement volume down to zero rather than just rejecting it - though I agree that if it's always just for a few seconds then that sounds less likely), or something else in or near to the car is interfering with the signal. As I am sure you know, unlike FM signals, which audibly degrade in quality, a DAB signal either gets through or doesn't, so rather than the sound quality dropping as interference kicks in or the range gets too great, with DAB it just stops.

Any - DAB Radio - no sound for a few seconds on the hour - Bromptonaut

The DAB radio in my Fabia has been a revelation. I'd assumed it would be more prone to drop outs than VHF/FM but actually it's rock steady 99% of the time.