vw polo 1995 - vw polo almost cuts out whilst driving - suecotton

Every jouney car starts well but stops when revs are low it sort of stutters along. Stoping engine and staring again using high revs car goes until revs are low then it comes to put put put almost halt . It has had a full oil change . New valves six months ago. Suspension was fixed too.

Any ideas I am quite desperate as it may fail on a junction.

Much appreciated.

vw polo 1995 - vw polo almost cuts out whilst driving - hillman

Are you using enough revs ? An engine will struggle if it is consistently used at low revs.

Try an 'Italian tunup'. Go to a nice stretch of dual carriageway at a quiet time, preferably up a hill, and accelerate in low gear, holding it in second gear at about 2000 rpm for a couple of minutes. That might blow out a few cobwebs.

vw polo 1995 - vw polo almost cuts out whilst driving - hillman

OK Avant, this thread is better in Technical. I hope somebody better qualified than I am is able to give a solution

I've suggested a very mild version of the Italian tuneup because it can be a bit hazardous on our crowded roads. The proper version is to chose a long straight dual carriageway early in the morning when no-one else is around and start to accelerate like a Bat out of H***, running through all the gears until you approach the red line on the rev counter. That used to be called a 'lekker burn-up' in Central Africa where I learned it. That tends to clear all the carbon that is settled in the cylinders. Oh, a refinement is to have a friend drive behind you, at normal speeds of course, in case you find the cause is something going wrong and you terminate it.

vw polo 1995 - vw polo almost cuts out whilst driving - Cyd

Also check the throttle butterfly. if it's gunged up, clean it and check all pipes in the area for blockages, especially the one that goes to the MAP sensor. Also have the base idle setting checked along with operation of the stepper motor if it has one.