BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Taxboy

Now that my 2001 BMW (owned fom new)has gone to the great breakers yard in the sky. I need to find a replacement. The budget is £20k tops and I won't be buying new so any additions / comments as to what I should look for. I want another auto and would like a little more oomph than the old 520. My daily commute is around 90 miles so I'm guessing a diesel needs to be considered now as I'm currently driving a C - Max and getting 38 mpg (which is a pleasant change after my BMW)

Needs / Wants - Auto, Comfy relaxed drive with oomph when needed, stylish interior with plenty of toys

Intial thoughts - BMW 520d but... I don't like the E60 and the newer models i@ve seen are either poverty spec and / or high mileage

Jaguar XK - Love the style look of the car but will it bankrupt me in running costs

Audi A6 - Same problem as facelift 5 series

So anything else to throw into the pot for me to look at

TIA

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Avant

You'll get more for your £20k if you avoid the prestige German marques which are slower to depreciate. A diesel Jaguar XF shouldn't be too expensive to buy or run; or think about a Volvo S60 or S80 or a Skoda Superb Elegance.

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Happy Blue!

Or even a Mondeo. Acres of room, excellent engine/gearbox combination with diesel/autobox, lots of toys on the top of the range models and very comfortable. Also very reliable

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Mr Fox

Yes the Mondeo in a good spec is a credible luxo barge with reasonable running costs and space

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - craig-pd130

I would second a Volvo S/V60 (2010 onwards) with the D3 5-cylinder diesel or a pre-2010 S60 or S80, which had a 2.4 5-cylinder diesel.

I've never driven an auto version but you should get late 30s / early 40s in mixed driving. They're superbly comfy, and reliable too, but parts could be expensive if anything serious goes wrong.

You'll probably get a better deal on an S80 as they're less in demand than the 60s.

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Collos25

The newest E class 220 you can buy with your budget .

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Taxboy

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post - I'd forgotten about the Volvo and hadn't realised the Merc fell within my budget

Great forum

BMW 520 - Replacement for my BMW E39 520i SE - Hamsafar

Forget the A6 - Newest Audi A8 3.0TDi you can get.

Great engine.

Quattro all wheel drive.

Light 100% aluminium spaceframe and body.

Nicely appointed interior.

Fairly incognito.

e.g.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20130305560.../