Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - IRC

So I'm finally replacing my 2002 1.8 petrol Mondeo hatchback. I was generally happy with the car though it had a few problems other than wear items - fuel pump, two springs, other suspension parts, wheel bearings, HT leads, rear calipers. But for an 11 year old car owned for 8 years not too bad.

I only do 7000 miles a year so I'm thinking petrol. I like a big boot for carrying bikes, washing machines and other large things.

Budget up to 10k, no part exchange.

It seems there are very few post 2008 Mondeos about. There isn't a 1.8 engine any more. Would a 1.6 version of the 2009-11 Modeos give similar performance?

Also considering Mazda 6 1.8 petrol and Octavia 1.2tsi. Comparing my old Mondeo side by side with a 2012 Octavia hatch I was suprised to find the Octavia boot a similar length and slightly wider between the wheel arches in the boot.

Thereare a couple of 2012 Octavia 1.2tsi' S's advertised locally for 9500-10k. 10K for one registered Sept 2012. From a Skoda dealer . 13k miles. Manual gearbox.

The 1.2TSi has better mpg and half the Excise Duty of my Mondeo but still has the same size boot.. Seems good. Getting a 9 month old example I could ensure regular oil changes so hopefully reduce the chance of turbo problems.

Any reason not to buy it assuming I like the driving position and the test drive?

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - 72 dudes

No good reason not to to buy one. The new Octavia is just out, so second hand prices of the previous version are very competitive. Just check you can live the bland interior and dash design.

A 1.2 TSi will give adequate performance, but it is quite a big body to haul around to don't expect to get very near the quoted EU fuel economy figures.

A new shape Mondeo is the better car, but the 1.6 wasn't bought by many people, and will be underpowered despite the 118 bhp. Again, a heavy car for the engine.

If fuel consumption is not top priority, maybe consider a post 2008 Mondeo with the 2.0 petrol engine. There are more around than the 1.6, and should be capable of low to mid 30's unless much of your driving is urban. Road tax however, will be much higher than the Octavia 1.2, but put it into context - it might cost £150 more to tax but it may make this up and more in lower depreciation.

Tell us what you decide on.

Edited by 72 dudes on 09/06/2013 at 13:11

Thanks for reply. Slightly concerned the 1.2 - turbo or not - may be a touch small for the Octavia. Albeit 80% of use is driver only and virtually all the rest driver + 1 passenger. The Octavia is a bit lighter than the 2002 Mondeo I think.

I'll test drive the 1.2tsi. Maybe wait for a 1.4tsi if the 1.2 feels at all sluggish.

2.0 Mondeo? I'd take one at the right price.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - 72 dudes

I think you're right to want to try one. In theory, although the 1.2 TSi has just 104 bhp, it also has 129 lb/ft of torque which is a little more than your 1.8 Mondeo, so overall performance will be similar.

My only experience of the 1.2 TSI was in a 2011 Golf, and although this was only the 85 bhp version. I have to say that I was quite impressed with its pulling ability in most situations. The only time it felt a bit "breathless" was at higher speeds, wanting to overtake on fast A roads.

The refinement and smoothness of the engine was a revelation though.

Yes, a 1.4 TSi is probably the best non diesel engine in an Octavia, but I would avoid any examples with the DSG auto gearbox - go for a manual.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - daveyK_UK
Latest Mondeo is better in every way than the Octavia.

The 2.0 petrol which you can find from 2008-2011 is my favourite, a nice engine which seems to have been culled for the 1.6 turbo unit.

Cant reccomend the Mondeo enough, problem is the prices are still holding out because the new model has been delayed.

Do you have anyone who works at fords?
They are offering a fabulous deal on the employee voucher scheme for a mondeo 1.6 petrol hatchback, brand new with plenty of kit for £12,435.

Excellent value for money if you need a big hatchback.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - Ian_SW

Despite being much bigger than a Golf, the Octavia is only 2kg heavier than a Golf, and about 250kg lighter than the Mondeo.

I've had 1.2TSI 105 Golf hire cars a few times and they feel surprisingly brisk. They were as responsive under "normal" conditions as my 1.8 turbo Octavia, and have a good level of low-revs torque which is what matters most. The only noticable difference is if you really give it some beans - the 1.2 then just makes more noise wheras the 1.8 does go a bit quicker.

Having also driven several different normally aspirated 1.6 engined cars (Astra, Focus etc), I'd put the VAG 1.2 TSI as far more usable in normal conditions - I found myself having to change gear with the 1.6 to keep up with the 50-70-50 motorway traffic flow you get at busy times - even my Kangoo van was better at keeping up!

Sounds like the 1.2 may be enough then. Although as I am sadly of an age where insurance cost isn't an issue and mpg seems similar for the 1.2 and 1.4 I am leaning towards the 1.4. I'd rather have the extra power there even if I only use it all once in a while.

I do some driving on Scottish A roads where overtaking chances can be limited. AS I plan to keep the car a good few years even if a 1.4 cost two or three hundred quid more it wouldn't matter.

I'm not under any time pressure to buy as we can easily juggle things to work round the one car we stil have. So I guess I'll take my time and test a 1.2 and a 1.4 and see what I think.

Not ruling out a 2-3 yr old petolr Mondeo if I see a good one but a 1 yr old Octavia giving me 2 yrs maker's warranty appeals tto me.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - Avant

I'd go for the 1.4 if I were you: just that extra bit of oomph, and a one-year-old 1,4 wonl;t cost much more than a 1.2 to buy or indeed to run.

I'm assuming that you have a Skoda (or any VAG) dealer in your part of Scotland. If not, a Ford might be easier to get repaired if it goes wrong.

Well, I test drove an Octavia Hatchback manual 1.2 TSi SE. At 70mph in 5th it didn't seem to pull as fast as my Mondeo did. I got the impression I would need to use the gearbox more to get the best out the engine. So definitely going for a 1.4 rather than a 1.2.

Hard to say without a side to side test but noise inside the cabin seemed slightly worse than the Mondeo.Otherwise a decent drive.

The dealer didn't have any 1.4s in the old Octavia for me to test. Offered to get me a 1.4 TSi SE reg Sept 2012, 17k miles. Wanted 11.5K and I'd need to commit to buy before they got the car into stock - ie without a test drive first.

Seemed a touch expensive albeit from a main Skoda dealer. And buying unseen, even from a reputable dealer didn't appeal either.

Luckily I'm not under pressure to buy in any timescale. I'll keep looking. Maybe extend the budget and look for 1.6 Ecoboost Focus estates as well as petrol Mondeos if I don't find an Octavia I like.

Thamks for all comments so far.

Just a quick follow up now I have my new car. I ended up getting an Octavia 1.4SE. I've done a couple of 200 mile trips on mixed highland A roads. The rest of the miles have been a mixture of urban and motorway.

So far the car has a comfortable ride over bad surfaces. I ruled out some options when I was car hunting as anything with any power also came with low profile tyres. I suspect they must give a worse ride on bad roads. The cornering is fine. More than enough for my needs. The engine is better than expected. It pulls well from lower down the revs t- more so than my old 1.8 Mondeo. Lower gear/high revs acceleration is OK possibly a touch less than the Mondeo but rarely needed as it pulls so well lower down the revs. I tend to use the gearbox a bit less as the engine is so flexible.

The first brim to brim tank gave 43.5mpg. About 8 or 10 mpg more than my Moneo gave. Very happy. Between £100+ saved on Excise and less fuel I'll save a few hundred a year compared to the Mondeo.

The interior has no bells and whistles but does the job and has everything I need. Seat height adjust/lumbar support along with steering wheel reach/rake give a good driving position. The seat feels a bit firm initially but is comfortable over longer distances.

I've already used the huge boot a couple of times moving bikes and a fully assembled desk which teminded me why I wanted an Octavia/Mondeo sized car.

I bought a 9 month old 7k miles example which was given it's first main dealer service. as part of the pre delivery checks. I'll be servicing it annually and do about 9k miles a year so hopefully with oil changes at those intervals I'll avoid engine problems. My usage doesn't include many shortbtrips where the engine isn't getting properly warmed up, hopefully that will help as well.

I had ruled out several cars as I didn't fancy an electric handbrake. Coincidentally a work colleague was moaniong about the hassle and expense her electric handbrake was giving her. So I think I made the right call there as I buy cars and keep them long term. For me an electric handbrake would just be a big bill down the line for no benefit over a standard handbrake.

Downsides - tyre noise is a bit intrusive on some surfaces. When the time comes to change tyres noise ratings will be top of my list. Otherwise all good so far and thanks for all comments on this and other threads when I was looking.

Looks like a very good choice - best of luck with it. The 1.4 is an efficient and economical engine which should suit your needs very well. The current Mondeo is a really big car, nearer to the Skoda Superb in size: with the Octavia you get something a little more wieldy on Highland roads yet still with a huge boot.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - barney100

7000 miles a year seems a great chance to buy a large petrol car. Volvo estate or Merc E class....both will last you years.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - TeeCee

I have to say that might make sense.

If I were buying something that I intended to keep for years, an undersized engine running in a high state of tune and with a blower to compensate wouldn't be top of my wish list. I'd be after something bigger, lazier and less likely to go wrong.

Also, for running around wandering "A" roads, the effortless waft of a big, lazy engine is preferable to the continuous cog-swapping exercise enforced by something with a smaller power band.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - unthrottled

an undersized engine running in a high state of tune and with a blower to compensate

It's not that high state of tune, is it? The turbo will give it a reasonable amount of mid range shove and allow it to cruise at low RPM.

I'd be after something bigger, lazier and less likely to go wrong.

The little engine will warm up much more quickly than a bigger one-not an unimportant consideration for an engine that will do a low annual mileage and presumably a lot of short journeys.

I think the 1.2TSi sounds pretty much ideal for the OP's needs.

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSi S - Replacing my Mondeo - TeeCee

The little engine will warm up much more quickly than a bigger one

Of the cars I have had, the two that were fastest to warm up were a 1.6 "K" engined Rover 416 and a 4.0 V8i Discovery. Thus I reckon that block, head and cooling system design are far more important factors than size in that department!

(Worst was a 2.0 Galaxy. That never warmed up in cold weather. Ford eventually stated; "They're all like that sir....")

"7000 miles a year seems a great chance to buy a large petrol car. Volvo estate or Merc E class....both will last you years."

Agreed, but you could also think about a 1.8 petrol Skoda Superb, or an Octavia (the just-replaced Octavia could be had with the 1.8, although the new one can't. They didn't sell well so could be hard to find).