Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - nick62

It is not often I investigate the option to use our beloved railways to make a business journey, but next week I have to travel to Devon and back in one day (from Liverpool) for a meeting. Total distance approx. 550 miles and probably a minimum of 11 hours driving time.

Estimated fuel cost in my van £110, train fare (Standard class) £262. Can anyone give me a valid reason why the train fare should be almost 250% more expensive than using my own vehicle?

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Bromptonaut

The answer is because they can get away with it. You have to play them at their own game.

I assume the fare quoted is based on traveling from Lime Street and changing at New St?

Where in Devon are you going and what time do you need to be there? The trick is to split your journey so as to be able to use off peak on the Arriva X/country segment of the journey and/or to use lower fares set by short distance operators.

Using Newton Abbott as an example destination then if you can leave New St on the 09:42 or later you can do it for £140 or less. A London Midland peak ticket from Lime St to New St is £52 and off peak BHX to Newton Abbott is £88. If you can tie yourself to a specific train you can knock the Liverpool>Brum sector down to £10 to £15 each way.

Splitting the journey again at Cheltenham will knock more off, probably getting the New St to Newton Abbott sector down to £70. As long as the train stops at the station where you change tickets there's no breach of conditions.

Google 'split ticketing' for a more detailed explanation.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/06/2013 at 17:13

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - alastairq

agree with the split ticketing.

However, it's the price one pays for letting someone else do all the driving?

I wish they'd come up with really cheap [ie competitive] drive-on drive off ro-rail trains...like with the chunnel.....would ease congestion, save the planet...and one would arrive fairly refreshed?

From one major area to another?

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - RT

I wish they'd come up with really cheap [ie competitive] drive-on drive off ro-rail trains...like with the chunnel.....would ease congestion, save the planet...and one would arrive fairly refreshed?

Not economic - BR ran Motorail on various long-distance routes from mid-50s to mid-90s and First Great Western ran a service between Penzance and London from '99 to '05 - but neither was profitable.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Galaxy

If you can manage to book your journey in advance, and book and pay online, you are likely to save a considerable amount of money on what a normal fare would cost.

Visit the National Rail website, and click on the "Journey Planner"

Link: ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

I myself recently had to go up to Stoke-on-Trent to collect a car. I could have just turned up at my local station and paid £137.00 for a single fare.

How much did I pay? By booking a few days in advance and booking and paying online, £39.00!

The only real limitation is that you have to get exactly the train they say, but I didn't find that any problem.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Engineer Andy

agree with the split ticketing.

Interesting idea...although rail freight isn't exactly big business any more, but worth a look. I suppose the main advantage would be for people with lots of luggage (families going on holiday or business people with lots of stuff for meetings, presentations, etc) would could pack the car, drive to the local "boarding station", then (as you say) let the train "take the strain" and be refreshed when they get off nearish to their final detination, with no need to lug heavy luggage etc to stations/airports etc.

I find that train travel is fine if you're travelling light, the route is low on changes, uses reasonably fast trains & is within 10-15 mins walk max of your final destination, and the road alternative just isn't worth the bother (going into London or other very large conurbations where traffic and parking in the centre are horrendous).

I've thought about and rejected the possibility of me going to my holiday destination in Cornwall by train for the reasons given by the OP - cost (although the real cost per mile for a car should include allowances for depreciation, servicing, insurance, petrol, etc) - including a taxi and a hire car (if there for a holiday) at the other end, time and the hassle getting all my luggage (and golf stuff) to and from stations and interchanges, beisdes all the logistics if you miss a connection through no fault of your own. Much easier to drive.

I wonder how the train fares for the OP's journey compares to flying? There are a few local airports in the south west. Similar problem to the train regarding luggage I suppose, but less changes (taxis at each end).

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Collos25

I had to go from Bradford to London return this week ticket supplier "A" 98ukps ticket supplier "B" 32ukp same train same times.I was in Germany last week a ticket for 5days anywhere any train cost 54euros what a difference .

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Sofa Spud

Unless you actually enjoy driving for 11 hours on the motorway, wouldn't £152 be a worthwhile premium to pay for not having to drive?

Unless you actually enjoy driving for 11 hours on the motorway, wouldn't £152 be a worthwhile premium to pay for not having to drive?

At £152 for a day's work, there would probably be plenty of offers to do the driving from the local job centre queue.

Interesting idea...although rail freight isn't exactly big business any more, but worth a look.

On he contrary, rail freight is very big business.

The East and West coast main lines and routes to Felixstowe and Southampton etc are full up, one reason why daytime point to point Motorail won't work - lack of viable paths.

Even inthe middle of the night I hear regular trains rolling by on the MK>Rugby section of the West Coast line

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - unthrottled

I can sympathise with the OP. Why are do they practically give away tickets at way below cost price just because they've been booked three weeks in advance, only to charge some other poor sod way over the odds to try to balance the books? There's over an order of magnitude difference between a Hyper-Supa-Mega-Advance-Sava ticket and the walk-on price for the same train. It's not as if the advance booking saves much in admin costs. By nature rail is fairly inflexible compared to road transport; the last thing it needs is additional administrative inflexibility. I think the old RMT union "take it or leave it" attitude is still endemic on the railways. Personally, I leave it.

That's the demand side of the "supply & demand" equation - those who need to travel at short notice have no choice and will pay whatever it takes - those who book AND PAY well in advance are more critical of alternatives - just like ferries, air travel and advance booking for events.

Oh, I appreciate that. But it doesn't entice me to leave my car on the drive does it? You only let a merchant rip you off once-you don't go back!

I only use trains on two occasions - when I want to go to a city centre event, I drive to and stay on the outskirts, near a suburban station, and then get the train to/from the event - in future I plan to get a Scotland Rover ticket and do all the scenic routes in one go.

Back in the '90s, when I was working, we could claim 2nd class rail fares without any receipts - so we all used to drive our company cars, not fully expensed, but claim the rail fare as it was way more than the fuel cost!

Interesting idea...although rail freight isn't exactly big business any more, but worth a look.

On he contrary, rail freight is very big business.

The East and West coast main lines and routes to Felixstowe and Southampton etc are full up, one reason why daytime point to point Motorail won't work - lack of viable paths.

Even inthe middle of the night I hear regular trains rolling by on the MK>Rugby section of the West Coast line

Not compared to before lorries started moving freight around the UK in large numbers around WWII. Given the inflexibility of railfreight travel (you still need lorries at each end, except for transporting things like coal where the tracks go right to the power station, and most stations don't have freight facilities), only large, heavy items that have long lead times move by rail. Even the Post Office have dumped the rail trains (my uncle worked on them for years) and use lorries and air freight now. I agree that, compared to 10-20 years ago, things have improved, but nothing compared to the pre-war era.

I agree that due to the increase in passenger use and general lack of capacity, any car services would find it difficult to fit in.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Ed V

One reason for the cost is that 30m other taxpayers have paid for the track you drive on.

Secondly, you are not including fixed car ownership costs, such as wear and tear, purchse cost versus investment of the capital etc.

Thirdly, the car driver's hourly charge out rate including N.I. has not been including in the car cost.

Forthly, there is too much demand and a lack of supply of rail alternatives, so pricing is high. Conversely, the private sector's competitveness has enabled massively sophisticated cars to be priced economically.

If the UK was serious about public transport, it would build as many rail lines as roads, have a station in every village and so on. But it's not because we're too physically lazy to walk anywhere, and want a peronal transport mode yards from our door.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Avant

The Victorians did just that, when people didn't have cars - and Dr Beeching closed the village stations down in the 1960s because they lost money.

I'd call it convenience more than laziness. As I've said in another thread, I've just come back from a trip to Aldeburgh, Suffolk (from Berkshire): 2.5 hours each way. If I'd tried to do that on a train I'd still be in Suffolk now.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Ed V

Or possibly Watford Junction.

The railways were built primarily to carry freight - passenger traffic was only ancilliary and was only viable where branch lines fed people onto the main lines.

Like horse-drawn wagons and canals, the railways were always doomed to be eventually replaced by the greater flexibility of road vehicles.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Drivethru

I used to travel by train, booking at least a couple of months in advance for cheap fares, then unforseen circumstances cropped up a couple of times and I couldn't travel, that type of fare isn't refundable so I lost the money, I just use the car now. Also, the car park charges at the stations on the East Coast line are ridiculous, if you go away for the day you could be paying more to park than the cost of the train fare.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - jamie745

I don't expect to have to sit a maths test and compete for a Brucie bonus just to complete a journey though.

My car doesn't suddenly use more petrol because I didn't pre-book the journey.

I don't expect to have to sit a maths test and compete for a Brucie bonus just to complete a journey though.

Assuming there's a real time/convenience or if, shock horror, you don't have a car it's pretty straightforward to check the prices on national rail. The simpler shortcuts are well publicised on the net and wouldn't tax a man of your intelligence. The more complex stuff is geeky but again there are websites to help if you've got the incentive to save.

My car doesn't suddenly use more petrol because I didn't pre-book the journey.

True, but road user charging is coming to a carraigeway near you quite soon. It will have some of the same affects as regards peak time travel.

True, but road user charging is coming to a carraigeway near you quite soon. It will have some of the same affects as regards peak time travel.

I'm not sure this is a given outside of congestion hotspots. There is a lot of opposition to road pricing. The fact is that subsidised trains are barely competitive with taxed cars. There comes a point when the natural equilibrium should be allowed to prevail.

It is now a decade since the public smashed Tony Blair's plan to introduce road pricing and with political parties more starved of votes than ever, it's not coming any time soon.

Oddly it seems you want road charging, perhaps because you realise that lumping the railways handicaps onto the motor car is the only realistic way the train is going to 'win.' I'm someone who'd rather see rail travel made easier with standardised prices, where as you want the motorcar kicked as much as possible to eventually force people onto trains by default. Not because trains will have improved, but because you'll have smashed the alternative.

As unthrottled says, taxed cars still outperform subsidised trains for most people. If you took the tax burden off the car and stripped the train of subsidy, you'd only see train usage fall further.

It is now a decade since the public smashed Tony Blair's plan to introduce road pricing and with political parties more starved of votes than ever, it's not coming any time soon.

Oddly it seems you want road charging, perhaps because you realise that lumping the railways handicaps onto the motor car is the only realistic way the train is going to 'win.' I'm someone who'd rather see rail travel made easier with standardised prices, where as you want the motorcar kicked as much as possible to eventually force people onto trains by default. Not because trains will have improved, but because you'll have smashed the alternative.

As unthrottled says, taxed cars still outperform subsidised trains for most people. If you took the tax burden off the car and stripped the train of subsidy, you'd only see train usage fall further.

I'm at best agnostic on road user charging and certainly not in favour. I think though its one of those things that will become a matter of political concensus. It's either that or, with new build squeezed off the agenda by austerity, peak road usage being governed by congestion.

The subsidy question is not as straightforward as you suggest. If rail's infrastructure were wholly funded by the taxpayer, as the roads are, then the palaying field would be rather differerent. Whether you like it or not tax is tax whether levied on petrol or beer. It doesn't go to specific pots according to who pays.

We're also paying far more now in real terms subsidy to the 'efficient' private sector passenger train companies than we ever paid to state owned inneficient monolith British Rail.

The rail industry was never "really" privatised - I worked for one of the Tube "companies for a few years and found 2/3rds of the "coalface" employees were ex-LU staff (now LU staff again!), with all the managers and top bosses coming in from "project management" firms (often not that many engineers amongst them) - the worst of all worlds. I believe the same happens in the rest of the rail industry.

Too many long-time staff either marking time (either no useful purpose, so invents work to do, or doesn't care about problems as within 5-10 years of a very fat pension and on very nice employment terms/salary), militant (and very difficult to get rid of if no good [deliberate or otherwise] at their job due to union influence) or utterly incompetant. I got out due to the politics, incompetance and lack of enthusiasm at all levels to both recognise the many major problems and to want to try and solve them. I worked on projects that cost a fortune (e.g. £2M [and take 1.5 years from start to finish] for a paint & decorate + at very small outlying overground stations...you could BUILD several similar stations for that much!)

If the best of all worlds ran/worked in the rail industry, they could lop 1/3 to half the costs out of the system and have a better-run system as a result. Unless all the above "vested interest" are smashed, then rail will continue to be subsidised heavily to even begin to "compete" with other forms of transport.

The Railway privatisation was a horrible botch job when John Major was trying to appease arch-Thatcherites and look radical. Frankly the Railways never were privatised, because if they were then we wouldn't be throwing billions of public money at HS2 and nor would the State have such an influence over Rail fares.

The Railways are not proof of the private sector being 'worse' than the public, it's just proof that everyone (private or public) will take free money if it's offered.

The Railway privatisation was a horrible botch job when John Major was trying to appease arch-Thatcherites and look radical. Frankly the Railways never were privatised, because if they were then we wouldn't be throwing billions of public money at HS2 and nor would the State have such an influence over Rail fares.

The Railways are not proof of the private sector being 'worse' than the public, it's just proof that everyone (private or public) will take free money if it's offered.

Railways have existed in the UK since 1825, that's 188 years - they were only nationalised from 1948 to 1994, just 46 years only a quarter of the total.

The problem is that private railways aren't profitable and state railways need to be subsidised - our current system is a business model that doesn't work.

I think we have the "worst of all worlds" - IMO poor management (worst of the private sector working in essentially a public sector environment with no direct competition in most cases) + heavily-unionised "workers" (strike at a drop of [any] hat, unproductive, not inovative, [IMO] makes a big thing about safety but covers up own failings) = (undeserved) high salaries & perks, low return on investments (by taxpayer), high costs generally, low staff morale (there are still a good number of good staff) and poor services.

Without the many vested interests, who have no interest in working as a team and providing a decent service at a reasonable cost, then the roads and airports will keep their crowns at the top spot for moving goods and people around the nation. Even as someone who is right-of-centre politically, I still am happy to have some state subsidy for railways if it is spent well (not currently), as it a social service (like local buses, which in their case are a lifeline for many elderly or poorer people) that reduces greatly the amount of traffic and pollution in towns and cities.

I have no particular "conflict of interest" given that over the years I've worked in various places, travelling by both car and public transport in equal measure (and for leisure), choosing whatever gave the best value for money journey (not necessarily the cheapest - normally time/convenience was key) in each case.

The state influence over fares is limited to commuter/season rates plus, due to backbench amends in 1993 Savers. The rest are market driven.

I find it amusing that under so-called privatisation, private sector companies have to earn the contract to provide the train service, bus route or whatever it may be.

Do you know who awards the contract and sets the terms of it?

Yeah, the Government.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - corax

The Victorians did just that, when people didn't have cars - and Dr Beeching closed the village stations down in the 1960s because they lost money.

I heard that they used to send officials out to the rural stations and check numbers of passengers AFTER the peak period, to justify shutting those stations down.

Maybe they were losing money, but I think it's a tragedy to destroy countless miles of track that took many thousands of hours of man power to build, and if they decide to replace it now, will no doubt cost the earth. It was a public service, and badly affected many places than were situated along those lines.

The roads are of course completely conjested now.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - John F

r the OP's journey compares to flying? There are a few local airports in the south west. Similar problem to the train regarding luggage I suppose, but less changes (taxis at each end).

Why have we not evolved a useful airbus service? There seems to be as much if not more hassle getting on one as there was when trains were first invented when buying a ticket was a major and lengthy event. There are no proper platforms at airbus stations and they persist in often only using one door per carriage.

It's high time we had a 'circle line' hopping round London, Norwich, Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol, [Exeter], Southampton, both clockwise and anticlockwise, walk on/walk off, cabin luggage only.

There is a huge amount of inefficiency and absurdity at 'airports' - the last one I went to [Innsbruck] involved a groundbus ride for the 50yds from the airbus to the 'terminal' !!

Apologies if not 'motoring' but it is really, if you think about it.

Why have we not evolved a useful airbus service? There seems to be as much if not more hassle getting on one as there was when trains were first invented when buying a ticket was a major and lengthy event. There are no proper platforms at airbus stations and they persist in often only using one door per carriage.

Air Anglia ran such a service successfully in the seventies. Norwich,>Leeds, >Edinburgh, >Aberdeen. In some years it went on to Stavanger. Another service went via Humberside, Teeside and Newcastle.

North Sea oil/gas provided a base load of passengers. The Fokker F27 Friendship provided the means.

Landing fees, taxes, security and high fuel costs on sectors with no cruise segment would kill such a project dead these days.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Smileyman

Car is even better if two are travelling togther.... but there are times when car is not better for instance, living on Kent coast, the Southeastern High Speed service gets me into central London much more quickly than any car could manage, without the need to pay congestion or parking fees, and outside the rush hour, using a reailcard the fare is cheaper than the petrol cost too. Traffic on the Medway bridge (M2) looks to be stationary when whizzing past at 140mph!

I've just been to Birmingham, through tickets booked in advance - £42, £30 out and £12 return - Hgh Speed included.

Edited by Smileyman on 09/06/2013 at 03:03

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - alastairq

it's amazing how many projects there are for re-instating rail links that once existed, but got removed during the Beeching era?

Aside from major commute runs, I cannot see Joe Public wanting to exit his private & secluded personal tin box, to share a carriage with the great unwashed?

Not for a generation or two, at least?

But,given the civil engineering and contruction technology today, building a 'light rail route' is going to be cheaper than it was in Victorian times....and quicker!

Trouble is, the car means more than running costs, to the Government.

it is a method of taxation, a method whereby we can be controlled and influenced, and the trade and economy depends on us buying cars.

But this country seems to be playing 'catch-up' all the time..we rarely start with a clean sheet, historically.

So, transport-wise, it will always be 'make-do-&-mend'?

IMHO, of course

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Armitage Shanks {p}

As a retired person with a senior rail cardand able to book in advance I can travel Peterborough to Reading for £13.00 single, including the Underground from KX to Waterloo. Easily beats A1/M1/M25/M4 in a 2 litre Ford! Not in time I might add but certainly on cost

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - barney100

I have a railcard which gives 25% off cerain journeys but not national ones. I'm afraid its the same old story with rail tickets and everything else, do your homework and you save a bundle.SD cards for my camera cost a bomb on the high st but are really good value on line, therefore the high st loses out because thet have to pay store cost...staff, rates, etc etc.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Avant

Trains are fine if you're going from city centre to city centre - and necessary, I agree, if you're going to London. (Incidentally, AS, to get to Reading it's much quicker via Paddington than Waterloo.)

But much of the time we're not. Yesterday I did a round trip to Aldeburgh (from Berkshire): 2.5 hours each way and a very creditable 42 mpg from the petrol Octavia. It would have taken forever to go by train, crossing London and then having to get a taxi from the nearest station to Aldeburgh (which I presume is still Saxmundham).

Trains are fine if you're going from city centre to city centre - and necessary, I agree, if you're going to London. (Incidentally, AS, to get to Reading it's much quicker via Paddington than Waterloo.)

I suspect AS knows that. The cheap fare is partly due to East Midlands and South West trains both being Stagecoach franchises. Other than the cost of a pass through on the tube they keep all the dosh.

Bring Great Western into the deal and they need a cut too.

EDIT - Ignore above. Such factors do apply but not in this case as AS is travelling to KX.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/06/2013 at 10:30

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Happy Blue!

I do let the train take the strain - for certain journeys. Manchester- London is a great trip. Just over two hours, every 20 minutes and you can get decent tickets at reltively short notice. Its just a case of being prepared. The OP is forgtting the strain of driving for 11 hours and the fixed costs of car ownership.

However for more than two people the car can be a far cheaper option. I need to go to London this coming sunday with my family - that is six tickets. Average price is just over £50 each return (pretty good), but my seven seater will do the journey at less than £90 for fuel, and door to door.

Horses for Courses

However for more than two people the car can be a far cheaper option. I need to go to London this coming sunday with my family - that is six tickets. Average price is just over £50 each return (pretty good), but my seven seater will do the journey at less than £90 for fuel, and door to door.

Horses for Courses

Or maybe not. We have 'group save' on fares to London. Just under £40 all in for four of us. Less than the diesel for 140 round trip miles and without the hassle of the M1 and parking/tube at London end.

Or maybe not. We have 'group save' on fares to London. Just under £40 all in for four of us. Less than the diesel for 140 round trip miles and without the hassle of the M1 and parking/tube at London end.

Yes, but then some other poor sod has to pay £150 for a single Liverpool-London ticket to pay for such heavily discounted tickets. I know seasoned users can get bargains if they play the game, but I still think the game is silly!

QUOTE:..""The railways were built primarily to carry freight - passenger traffic was only ancilliary and was only viable where branch lines fed people onto the main lines.

Like horse-drawn wagons and canals, the railways were always doomed to be eventually replaced by the greater flexibility of road vehicles.""

Those railways that were 'doomed to be eventually replaced by the greater flexibility of road vehicles are all closed anyway, together with some routes that would now be viable if they'd remained open. Road transport is unlikley to make any further inroads into rail, I think. In large conurbations, new light rail systems have been built or existing rail services have been reorganised and re-branded - like London Overground. And rail services between major cities are likley to improve with the great expansion of electrification. However I doubt if HS2 will ever be built. Routes are being upgraded to make freight transport more efficient - including new junctions and flyovers - e.g. north of Ipswich (not built yet) which will mean container trains from Felixstowe to the midlands won't have to reverse direction at Ipswich.

Train travel is usually expensive, and is not competitive with car except for people travelling alone. But one saviour of rail travel, which we see already, is modern communications technology. Driving a car means you can't do anything else. Travelling on a train means you can read, use a laptop or tablet or send texts. So travelling on a train can often be useful time for doing something else - maybe to do with one's work.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 11/06/2013 at 17:28

But one saviour of rail travel, which we see already, is modern communications technology. Driving a car means you can't do anything else. Travelling on a train means you can read, use a laptop or tablet or send texts. So travelling on a train can often be useful time for doing something else - maybe to do with one's work.

You can work from home and do all that !

QUOTE:...""You can work from home and do all that !""

Yes, sometimes, but not everyone can work at home. I'm suggesting that travelling by train means people can sometimes do something else useful to themselves which they wouldn't be able to do if they were driving a car, saving their time at home for doing something else.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 11/06/2013 at 21:52

Yes, but then some other poor sod has to pay £150 for a single Liverpool-London ticket to pay for such heavily discounted tickets. I know seasoned users can get bargains if they play the game, but I still think the game is silly!

I think it's a fallacy to see those two fares as a trade off where I get a bargain at your expense. The fare I quoted is for travel after 10:00 or on a weekend. Even 15 days in advance cheap tickets between 16:30 and 19:00 are not available or limited to the slow services.

Peak travel is priced at a level the market will bear. Much of it is 'have to' stuff associated with business meetings etc. The train is near full and with passengers 'on the rack' yield per seat can be levered up.

Outside the peak the trick for the operators is to keep trains that incur a lease cost etc 24/7 in traffic and out of the sidings. Cheap fares and bargain deals get people out of cars and encourage optional travel - it's about volume and bums on seats rather than yield per seat as such. No discount = no travel or use the car.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/06/2013 at 22:03

I think it's a fallacy to see those two fares as a trade off where I get a bargain at your expense.

I don't. Walk-on prices are very high even on off-peak travel. It is simply unjustifiable to have anorder of magnitude diference in ticket prices for the same train trip.

Giveaway ticket prices is really a way of disguising the obvious: trains spend a lot of time moving carriages of fresh air round the country. We expect company employees to bend over backwards to provide the flexibility that the modern economy apparently requires, yet we yield to the whims of train companies inflexible and arbitrary ticket pricing. Time to pull the subsidy and let market forces set the balance.

I think it's a fallacy to see those two fares as a trade off where I get a bargain at your expense.

I don't. Walk-on prices are very high even on off-peak travel. It is simply unjustifiable to have anorder of magnitude diference in ticket prices for the same train trip.

Giveaway ticket prices is really a way of disguising the obvious: trains spend a lot of time moving carriages of fresh air round the country. We expect company employees to bend over backwards to provide the flexibility that the modern economy apparently requires, yet we yield to the whims of train companies inflexible and arbitrary ticket pricing. Time to pull the subsidy and let market forces set the balance.

I presume then you'd be ok about removing the subsidies for road (taxpayer paid for construction, running costs (lighting) and repairs) and air travel (untaxed fuel compare to road transport).

In my view, the only way to look at rail as a "viable alternative" to other forms of transport is probably purely in terms of convenience (time to destination on many commuter routes is much better than by road, good for hauling very heavy materials long distances to one place [coal to power stations, building/raw materials to large sites where planes aren't viable - can be done overnight without making too much noise and causing congestion]) with an environmental element (energy usage, polution [incl. noise]) and social service (noise and giving more road capacity to users who don't have a viable public transport alternative) thrown in.

I agree with many about the stupidity of the very complex fare structures, which solely favours the young, computer-savvy and wealthy who can source the discounts, rather than the elderly or poor who do not have the access to or ability to endlessly search for them, especially as most of them are of the "turn up on the day" type travellers (e.g. jobless person going to an short-notice interview would be disadvantaged compared to a businessman who gets his assistant to check out the best price a week or so in advance). I understand its good business sense to discount fares booked in advance, but not to the levels that many of the train companies do at present.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 12/06/2013 at 18:23

I mentioned Reading, I actually go to Bracknell! I can get Peterborough to Bracknell with EastCoast,. Underground and SW Trains for £11 one way, booked in advance and railcard.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - expat

Some years ago my wife and I visited the UK from Australia. The cost of the train fares for us to go from London to York, Glasgow and then Elgin and back came to much more than the cost of hiring a car for a month. I would have preferred to do most of the travel on the trains but it was much too expensive. Maybe I could have arranged our trip to only travel on the days and at the times which had the cheapest fares but I didn't want to have my holidays dictated to by the railways.

Some years ago my wife and I visited the UK from Australia. The cost of the train fares for us to go from London to York, Glasgow and then Elgin and back came to much more than the cost of hiring a car for a month. I would have preferred to do most of the travel on the trains but it was much too expensive. Maybe I could have arranged our trip to only travel on the days and at the times which had the cheapest fares but I didn't want to have my holidays dictated to by the railways.

I guess air fares London>Leeds>Scotland and return would havebeen more expensive than car hire too. The option for non UK residents is the BrtiRail pass.

http://www.britrail.com/passes/britrail-pass

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/06/2013 at 14:53

but I didn't want to have my holidays dictated to by the railways.

Quite! Why does this mentality still prevail on the railways (cough-unions!)? You don't go into a supermarket and find that the price of a dozen eggs has quadrupled because it's Saturday morning and the shop is busy. Or imagine a pub quadrupling the price of a pint on a sunny bank holiday weekend!

Train companies always seem to have delusions of grandeur and try to position themselves as international transport portals aimed at businessmen. They seem happy to spend a fortune on vanity projects such as lavish train station refurbishments filled with with overpriced coffeeshops and special versions of WH Smith which charge 50% more than other WH Smith outlets. All the average passenger wants is a flexible ticket at a fare (sorry) price.

I remember being ripped off by train companies. I remember being let down by strikes (always on a bank holiday weekend-funny that.) and now I have a car I have no desire to be dependant on them ever again.

Quite! Why does this mentality still prevail on the railways (cough-unions!)? You don't go into a supermarket and find that the price of a dozen eggs has quadrupled because it's Saturday morning and the shop is busy. Or imagine a pub quadrupling the price of a pint on a sunny bank holiday weekend!

Train companies always seem to have delusions of grandeur and try to position themselves as international transport portals aimed at businessmen. They seem happy to spend a fortune on vanity projects such as lavish train station refurbishments filled with with overpriced coffeeshops and special versions of WH Smith which charge 50% more than other WH Smith outlets. All the average passenger wants is a flexible ticket at a fare (sorry) price.

If eggs are in oversupply the price will fall. If they are in demand it will rise.

While the price of a pint at the bar might not quadruple on a bank holiday the price of a room at the Inn will particularly if you book at the last minute. The person in the next room who booked and paid in advance six monhs ago will be paying much less.

Stations are modernised because that's what the passengers expect. Nobody wants a freezing old victorian shed full of pigeons and stinking of pi**. They want airy buildings with lots of light and staff present so they feel safe.

Funding for schemes to replace outmoded stations is complex and often relies on sale of railway land and contributions from local and national government eg:

http://www.northamptonstation.co.uk/

A book or newspaper costs exactly the same in the current station as it does at WH Smith in the town or in Central London. I'm sure it will be the same at the new one next year.

Having commuted into Euston form various stations since 1986 I've had my share of inconvenience from strikes as well as track upgrades including the main WCML rebuild form 1999-2004.

But on the whole the train does exactly what it's meant to and is clean comfortable and on time. Round trip of 130 miles at cost of about £21 on a weekly season. Less than diesel to drive and I cannot read, think or sleep the time away in the car.

What is there to complain about??

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/06/2013 at 17:03

If eggs are in oversupply the price will fall. If they are in demand it will rise.

The supply price to the supermarket and the supermarket will pass the cost onto the consumer. But the supermarket doesn't change its prices at peak times-liker train companies do.

price of a room at the Inn will particularly if you book at the last minute.

I'd rather sleep in the car (and have done) than give an establishment like that any of my money.

A book or newspaper costs exactly the same in the current station as it does at WH Smith in the town or in Central London. I'm sure it will be the same at the new one next year.

That's because the price of the newpaper is fixed. Sweets/drinks/cigarettes are a very different matter.

Stations are modernised because that's what the passengers expect. Nobody wants a freezing old victorian shed full of pigeons and stinking of pi**. They want airy buildings with lots of light and staff present so they feel safe.

I don't! I was quite happy with the victorian stations which were preferable to the refurbishments which tend to resemble reject entries to the Turner prize. Besides, if the train did its job, I wouldn't be lingering in the station for long anyway.

Trains rely on a captive market that has little alternative-and it shows.

Trains rely on a captive market that has little alternative-and it shows

On the contrary the market, other than London commuter, is highly competitive. That is exactly why the railway follows the same pricing principle as its airline rivals and has to modernise the stations. The 'walk on ticket' is a 'USP' - something the airlines cannot offer.

Even at what you portray as rip off pricing on rail air transport struggles offer fares that offset the inconvenience of check and terminal to town transfer. Easy jet tried a Liverpool to Luton service but even though it offered a conduit for moving aircraft from their main base to an outstation it didn't pay.

Manchester to LHR keeps going on interlining traffic and a low level of point to point use by those doing business in suburbs near LHR or Ringway. There's also an element of slot sitting; take off and landing space at LHR occupied to stop it being reallocated to competitors. Same principle is likley to be true of the new BA service to Leeds/Bradford.

Even for travel as soon as Wednesday the £150 single from LLS to Euston can be had in peak for £100 each way by tying to a specific service. There are also excelent bargains in first class.

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Collos25

Do you honestly thing the prices you have quoted are competetive I would think they are subject to price fixing by a system that looks for large profits against what should be a service for the populus.You have to travel a long way to find rail travel that is so expensive for such a bad service perhaps some services in mid Africa spring to mind.

You could not make such a complicated system of pricing if you tried and do they ever clean UK trains .

Well I drove mysef in the van and because I (unusually) set-off in plenty of time, I kept the engine speed at or below 2,000 rpm (approx. 68MPH in top) for the entire return journey of what turned out to be 530 miles.

Approx. return driving time nine hours and despite a quite badly deflated front nearside tyre on the return leg (cracked alloy rim - probably due to speed-humps/potholes, but that's an entirely different story), I managed 35/36 MPG, so cost of fuel for trip £95. Depreciation etc., not included, but minimal due to me having the van anyway! Based on previous MPG calculations, I should have got around 38 MPG (without the "soft" tyre), so that would only have "cost" me £89 in fuel.

Saving over railway option £169 and that does not include the additional £25 to £30 I would have had to spend on taxi fares.

Witnessed the hard side of cheap tickets today.

Young lass, probably going to London for an interview, was ahead of me in short queue for ticket machine. Collected her ticket galncing anxiously at clock and got to barrier with a minute to spare for 07:39 train.

Unfortunately her 'booked train only ticket' was for the 07:32 and she made mistake of going for the manned barrier where London Midland's numero uno jobsworth was on shift. Wouldn't let her through.

Suspect the auto barrier would have admitted her and with no on board check and arrival at a non barrier platform at Euston she'd have been fine.

I had a run in with same guy a few years ago when they tried to enforce a 'fold at station door and carry policy' for fold up bikes. He was the only Inspector to enforce this and most of us folded for him and unfolded again as soon as out of sight. Eventually after approaching senior managers we got the policy rescinded.

The whole "mega-mega-multi-complex" train ticketing "system" in this country stinks to high heaven!

There should be two prices - first class and second class, with a 50% reduction if you have a railcard, (and the railcard should be available to anyone who wants to buy it, not just the young, the old and those travelling with kids). Switzerland has this system and that seems to work quite well!

When I wanted a single to Derby from Liverpool (to collect a car about five years ago), the advertised price was approx. £28 (middle of the day). Turned up at the ticket office in Lime St. and the helpful BR man sold me a single to Crewe and another single from Crewe to Derby, total price £14 on EXACTLY the same train(s)........................totally bonkers!.

Edited by nick62 on 18/06/2013 at 14:01

There should be two prices - first class and second class, with a 50% reduction if you have a railcard, (and the railcard should be available to anyone who wants to buy it, not just the young, the old and those travelling with kids). Switzerland has this system and that seems to work quite well!

It works OK in Switzerland but their rail system is a very different cup of tea. 'Takhtfahrplan' has a repeated hourly pattern across the network with connections, usually accross the platform, at key stations. It works like clockwork.

The flipside is changes are often required where we would have direct trains and point to point times are actually quite slow.

Ticket splitting, time consuming but good value. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets

The £350 million refurb of KX may look good but there are only about 20 free seats for passengers; the alternative is to choose to buy expensive snax or creosote coffee in the mezzanine gallery and use their seating.

I have just bought advance tickets for a journey in August for £35 return, at the station to day the one way price was £71 for travel today!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 20/06/2013 at 22:02

Any - Why I won't be letting the train "take the strain" - Smileyman

Poor woman, I recently travelled around Lancashire with a 'booked train only' ticket, but missed my booked train, and the ticket inspectors on the alternative trains did not bat an eyelid, but on Virgin Trains I have been denied boarding the 'wrong' train.

Train tickets are priced like air tickets.