handbrake slackening - Moby
I have noticed over the past few weeks that the handbrake on my Fiesta (mk4) has slackened, in that it rises higher and higher.

The handbrake still easily hold the car on a steep hill, but I was just wondering possible reasons for the changing tension.

Could someone also advise me on possible symptoms for worn discs/pads, and a likely replacement cost?

Thanks in advance
Moby.
handbrake slackening - jc
On a MkIV Fiesta it is more likely to be cable stretching-the auto adjusters on the pads work well.Adjustment is relatively simple if you can get under the middle of the car.
Just a matter of interest, are there any other symptoms of a slackening handbake cable such as braking ability/sponginess of brake pedal?

thanks
Moby
handbrake slackening - Andrew-T
Do you get any feeling that the handbrake works more on one back wheel than the other?
No, the handbrake works evenly and fine on all inclines, its just higher than it used to be.
handbrake slackening - Chas{P}
I have written a technical article on this very thing. I will knock up a resume and post it later today.

Charles
Thanks Charles, I look forward to your post.

Moby.
Taken from an article I wrote recently for Independent Garages.... This info applies to Fiesta 96-, Ka & Focus

Handbrake adjustment

Whilst on the subject of brakes, it appears that some technicians are not following the correct handbrake adjustment procedure for these models and instead use the ‘three clicks is correct’ rule. This leads to the customer returning a month later because handbrake travel has changed to six clicks as the over adjustment has worn away. If the rear brake self-adjuster and the handbrake have been correctly set the handbrake travel should remain between five and seven clicks.

The handbrake should be adjusted using the following procedure that must only be carried out when the rear brakes are cool.

Having removed the boot around the handbrake the brake should be released to its lowest position.

The adjusting nut should then be loosened until there is not tension in the cable. After applying and releasing the brake pedal to ensure the brakes are correctly adjusted the vehicle should be raised. Examine the cable and conduit to ensure it is correctly located in its clips. Raise the handbrake by four clicks. Tighten the cable-adjusting nut until an increase in torque is noticed. Apply and release the handbrake lever several times with enough force to settle the handbrake system. Release the handbrake to its lowest position.

Check the movement of the plunger in the left and right-hand side backing plates. The total movement of both sides added together should be between 1mm and 8mm.

(On vehicles with rear disc brakes the total movement between the left- and right-hand side caliper handbrake lever and the stop added together should be 0.5mm and 2mm.)

If necessary adjust the cable using the parking brake adjustment nut. If this does not affect the plunger movement, (caliper handbrake lever movement on vehicles with rear disc brakes) the cable is either damaged, binding or seized in which case a new cable and conduit must be installed.

Rotate the rear wheels to ensure there is no brake drag. Install the handbrake adjustment nut retaining clip. When the nut is correctly positioned install the retaining clip and refit the handbrake boot.

HTH

Charles
handbrake slackening - DavidHM
Charles, is there any chance you could e-mail me the full article? My parents' 2 month old Focus has been perfect apart from a slightly dodgy handbrake - I'm not entirely sure what's going on there (or isn't, but should be) but it'd be good to know what's meant to happen.

My e-mail is david@murray.net
David

Will send it when I can get hold of a pdf version for you.

Regards

Charles