Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - BrummieGeorge

I'm hoping that someone can help me because my wife is pretty furious with me right now.

I changed a broken rear light (just the lens, not the electrics) on her MK1 clio this morning and it looks like I've managed to do some damage in the process.

Nothing electrical works at all and turning the key does nothing. I have absolutely no idea what I can have done, but as the clock is analogue I know what time it went wrong, so I know I've caused it somehow. Can disconnecting and re-connecting the wires to the rear lights do any significant damage?

I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - Fernando P

By removing the wires, you may have "shorted" the circuit somehow and blown a fuse. You need to check the fuses and replace accordingly. More info on fuses can be found in the vehicle's handbook.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - dieselnut

Also check the battery terminals. Remove them & give them a good clean with a wire brush then apply a smear of vaseline & tighten back up. Check the earth strap from the battery is tight & clean.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - TeeCee

That'll be the one. More likely one of the master fusible links than an individual circuit fuse though, from the effects.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - BrummieGeorge

Thanks all!

I checked all the fuses in the main and aux. fuseboxes and it definitely isn't one of them. Are the master fuses something I can change or am I better just getting it looked at?

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - dieselnut

Did you find the fuse box in the engine bay. Check that you have power there if you've got a test meter or lamp.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - Simon

Are you sure that the battery hasn't gone flat???

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - Andrew-T

If the car has an automatic emergency cut-out (check in the handbook) has it been triggered?

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - Galaxy

I believe these cars use a very heavy duty in-line fuse that's fitted in the main battery lead. That's probably what's gone.

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - injection doc

I suspect the battery has died, if the battery was weak & the bott was open for a while I suspect the light drain just finished the battery off !

Always check the simple things first

Renault Clio I Petrol - Clio dead after changing light. - avaster

You say that the car is eletrically dead, totally. It's got to be the battery. Did you disconnect it before you started playing with the light wiring? Is it properly connected now. Disconnect it. Check there is power in it. Reconnect it securely with all the wires. There are two big fat leads to the positive terminal.

The engine fuse box is in the scuttle under the boot lid under a plastic flap that accesses the wiper washer reservoir.

The rear light clusters are plastic. They are earthed by straps or leads to the body close to the lamps in the boot under the carpet on both sides. Clios are prone to no end of problems seemingly unrelated to the rear lights through failure of this earth, or corrosion on the lighting connections.

But loss of all electric power everywhere means there isn't a charged battery connected properly. Or possibly a main fuse in that auxiliary fuse box has gone. Remember there are two leads to the positive terminal. One is direct to the starter motor. The other is to the electical system. If that isn't connected you'd have no ignition, no nothing.

Edited by avaster on 01/06/2013 at 18:08