Volkswagen Polo - Instrument panel intermittent display - Faulty Carowers

1998 Polo 1.6, air conditioner, immobiliser, 200k km (120 miles). Periodically the instrument panel shows randomly varying information, the odometer shows hieroglyphics or the panel may be blank, no speed, revs, fuel, warning light, nothing. I have seen 3 suggested sources of problem mentioned in blogs.

1) alternator producing up to 18v, assess by turning on electrics, (this has made no difference), neutralise by disconnecting the battery and shorting across the disconnected cables. Solve by replacing the alternator.

2) faulty panel. replace

3) poor connections somewhere in the loom. I cannot see where in theconfusion of innaccessible cables and electrics any likely poor connections.

Any ideas?

Volkswagen Polo - Instrument panel intermittent display - Falkirk Bairn

Faulty earth!

However, the problem is which one?

Volkswagen Polo - Instrument panel intermittent display - Faulty Carowers

Thanks for the hint.

The problem has not occurred for a couple of week now. But I took out and replaced the instrment panel last Sunday. Couldn't see anything obvious and poblem not occurred again yet.

What prompted my question were two occurrences two weeks before. 1) it worked outbound (dry day), not at all inbound (cloudy but dry). 2) (dull and cool setting off) not at all outbound, worked in bound (warmed up day). Next day, rained hard on return journey but no problem. Turn indicators work always. ???