Not sure yet but tending to a European make. - Something up to £6k ish - Dignity

Am looking for a decent 2.0 ltr HDi machine that will eat up the motorways and be ok on the shorter runs ..... aren't we all ....... and am unsure of where to direct my search. Having just returned to the UK from the east I've really lost track of what's good and what's not so good here as I've been blinded by tacky Asian throwaway vehicles for a few years!

Some spec requirements would be manual, 4 door or 5 door hatchback car, PAS, a/c and not too many fiddly buttons everywhere (as the 2008 C5 i.e.) ..... my wife has to drive this too! Would also prefer a private rather than dealer deal ... or am I being too sensitive?Last UK car was a Jag X-type but we're over that now!

Appreciate your patience any pointers in this 'quest' in the full expectation that the same question has undoubtedly been asked many times!

Not sure yet but tending to a European make. - Something up to £6k ish - Cyd

You don't give any indication of your expected mileage, which is a big factor in whether to choose petrol or diesel. Basically anything under 15k pa, go petrol. Answer that first and maybe you'll get some more incisive help.

Not sure yet but tending to a European make. - Something up to £6k ish - Dignity

You don't give any indication of your expected mileage, which is a big factor in whether to choose petrol or diesel. Basically anything under 15k pa, go petrol. Answer that first and maybe you'll get some more incisive help.

Many thanks for that advice. It'll be up to 15K miles/pa I strongly suspect and so PETROL it is. I hadn't got into that level of fidelity but I have now. Many thanks for the kick in that useful direction.

Not sure yet but tending to a European make. - Something up to £6k ish - gordonbennet

If a decent petrol saloon will fit the bill then you could do far worse than find a Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis or Mazda 6 (avoid Mazda Diesels like the plague).

If you've got hooked on total Far Eastern reliability and want a bargain then a Hyundai Sonata or Kia Magentis would be good and good value, lots of car buyers here looked down their noses at these makes till they suddenly became fashionable with the Huyndai 'i' range etc.

Not sure yet but tending to a European make. - Something up to £6k ish - oldtoffee

I'd add something like a 2009 Mondeo 2 litre petrol to the three Japanese suggestions from gb. Great on the motorway (avoid the Zetec wheel/suspension) and good fun off the motorway, bags of space. The Toyota Avensis petrols have a good reputation for decent economy.

I'd add something like a 2009 Mondeo 2 litre petrol to the three Japanese suggestions from gb. Great on the motorway (avoid the Zetec wheel/suspension) and good fun off the motorway, bags of space. The Toyota Avensis petrols have a good reputation for decent economy.

Right then - am off in search of an Avensis or even a Qashqai which 'the Commander in Chief' has favoured by throwing a passing glance in its general direction..

Thank you so much for these suggestions and pointers. Hope I found a good 'un.