Citroen Xsara Picasso - Consider buying or walk away? - Venus

I'm looking for advice on an 06 Xsara Picasso Exclusive that we viewed today and are considering buying. After looking at a few older models and Desires we've decided to go for an Exclusive and our budget of £3k will get us an 06 plate...but there really aren't many around. We can't travel too far as we have twin toddlers who are a handful!

This particular one has low mileage (64,000), FSH with Citroen dealer and extended warranty til Feb 2014 (can be transferred to us). It also has a lovely panoramic sunroof that I love. It's a 1.6i 16v petrol but we aren't bothered about engine size or fuel.

It's up for £2,999 but the owner needs a quick sale and took £500 off with no persuasion!

BUT...this one is having the speedo sensor replaced under warranty on Friday. Sounds straight forward as long as they're telling the truth and there is nothing else wrong with it. AND although the car is dry everywhere else, we viewed it in the heavy rain today and the storage compartment behind the passengers seat is full of water. The owner is asking the dealers about this on Friday and will get back to us.

Having Googled the water leakage it seems to be a common problem. There are various causes ranging from water getting in through door seals or something to do with the air con dripping out water. The owner is likely to drop the price again due to this so we would be getting the car for much less than the going rate. And IF the water problem is easily fixed we could be getting everything we want at a very good price.

BUT...Are we mad to consider buying a car with a puddle of water? Am I being naive to think we can fix it easily?

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Consider buying or walk away? - Collos25

Run a mile and very quickly, roof problems and they all have one in time they jams open or leaks like a cullander and the cost of repair will be more than you paid for the car plus you will not be able to use the car while its faulty.These are no no in the motor trade they are not worth the risk look for one without the opening roof.

Edited by Collos25 on 15/05/2013 at 08:18

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Consider buying or walk away? - carr

I had a Renault Scenic that leaked through the sun roofs and all it needed was the clearing out of the drainage pipes in the front wheel arch.

Xsara Picassos are generally quite reliable and the Exclusive gives you quite a lot for this sort of money.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Consider buying or walk away? - 72 dudes

On balance, I agree with Collos - walk away; it sounds as if the seller knows all the problems and is making the right noises, but once you pay, you will be on your own.

Plenty of Xsara Picassos out there, look for another.

Don't get hung up on trim level either (Desire vs. Exclusive), just buy the best example you can.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Consider buying or walk away? - Avant

How set are you on having a Picasso, particularly as you haven't found many to choose from? In your position, assuming that you want an MPV, I'd widen my search to include the Toyota Corolla Verso.

My sister-in-law has just sold her Verso after 10 years - and only because she needs an automatic. Her car sympathy is zero no risk of her reading this!) and most of her journeys are under a mile in West London. It never missed a beat.

Edited by Avant on 17/05/2013 at 00:55