Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - Hadrian

I'd be interested to hear from owners of Civic Hybrids . 1.3 IMA

What is your general opinion of how they drive, and what sort of MPG are you getting ?

Are there any particular issues to look out for ?

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - pork_pie

My father had a hybrid civic saloon between 2009-2013 but i drove it enough times.

I really liked the hybrid but it requires a change on driving style compared to normal cars in that one needed go be easy on the throttle otherwise the petrol engine easily kicked in and overide the electric motor. Any speed over 29mph, the motor will not operate unless under hard acceleration.

Whenever the motor was solely powering the car- it works for about a mile or so before the engine kicks in again for a bit of time. Drive it like a normal car (CVT gearbox had a knack of revving up at the slightest acceleration or the slightest incline ) and the mpg drops to the mid to high 30s.

Drive it carefully like I did and I typically got around the low 50's. My best was just under 61mpg.

At 70mph the engines nicely ticks over at around 2000 rpm which is very long but again the engines screams when you need to give it some welly which was frequent as the 1.3l engine struggles to shift that weight. The car needed a software upgrade to eliminate a flat battery and needed a new condensor for the air con. £15 a year tax was nice too and the stop start system was effective.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - Collos25

If this sort of car appeals to you do not waste any money on a civic buy a Prius its in a different class especially the "Spirit".all the toys self parking ,bluetooth ,sat nav a much better gaurantee on the running gear

.I am in the UK at the moment running a VW no road tax, minimul insurance and is averaging around 75 to the gallon plus its petrol with no batteries and no fancy transmission.

Edited by Collos25 on 13/05/2013 at 21:19

I have no interest whatsoever in the Prius.

Or a VW come to that.

Edited by Hadrian on 14/05/2013 at 00:17

What do you think about the Insight? There are some pretty good deals out on the forecourt for it, as sales have been slow, but some versions are road tax free.

The Civic IMA has been discontinued for, I think 2 years so used deals will be decent on them too. My father really does miss it.

Back to the Insight - I haven't driven it but I did test drive the Jazz Hybrid last February and thought it was alright despite the road noise. The computer read an average, over a 10 mile drive from Manchester United ground via Eccles via the M602 and back, of 56mpg. This is also very practical as well (definately more space than the Civic) if rather expensive at arounf £16.5-18.5k depending on trim.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - Ordovices
Perhaps you should have said that you were only interested in "owners" views ;)

I thought I did ?

Regarding the Insight, I don't know too much about it.

My friend's wife who had the Civic Hybrid for a few years, and who has just swopped it for the new Jazz hybrid, did look at it. A couple of things against it are:

Poor rear visibility, due to rear window design.

Very cramped for passengers in the rear.

Not a nice ride I am told

We did consider the Jazz for about 10 seconds, as I am impressed by the ammount of space inside, and the way the seats all fold down, to enable it to carry quite large loads. Including a wheelchair if necessary.

I like the Civic because it looks like a car. A bonnet, a boot and a wheel in each corner. I wouldn't have a hatchback if you gave me one as a gift. Hate the things.

It's a real shame they ever changed the standard Civic to the all too common jelly mould design.

There are those who critisise the performance of the Civic IMA, but I find it quite ok. Zero to Sixty times don't worry me in the slightest.

Edited by Hadrian on 14/05/2013 at 11:26

I found the performance of the Civic to be alright and was a comfortable motorway cruiser with its leather heated seats. Looking at Hondas national used car database, there are about 53 Civic hybrids between £6000 to £12.500k. My father wanted another hybrid after the write off but like yourself hated any hatchbacks and thought the Insight was hideous. Agreed on the Jazz ride, it will always be harsh.

But they defeat there purpose they are not very economical compared to the Prius if you are going to buy a underpowered hybrid at least get one that has the latest technology and is road tax free.

The Prius looks like a car has leather heated seats as an option and is 85 gco2 better still buy non hybrid thats economical and is road tax free.

The original poster prefers the Civic and could in theory save several grand by choosing a used version over a used/new prius. Whatever the difference, it will be enough to overcome the issue of free road tax. £15 compared to £0 is not much really. Trust me, a Civic can be economical if you drive it right.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - FP

With respect, although you specify that you want to hear only from owners on this forum, if I were in your position I would be casting my net wider. For example, the following references some serious battery reliability problems with older Civic Hybrids, though newer examples (2012 - 13) seem to be doing better.

tinyurl.com/d84de92

Personally, I wouldn't touch a hybrid with a barge-pole, though my trusted indy tells me they are the cars of the future.

You would have a problem buying a 2012 13 civic hybrid do you mean Insight.Having owned a Prius Spirit I agree wholeheartl with you statement, the future is hydrogen cars thats where all the research money is being put in both America and Japan.

Most of the hybrid battery issues seem to come from the US forums.

Speaking to a Honda dealer , they have only just had their first hybrid in with a battery issue. It was supplied by them in 1999. An Insight I assume?

Many Civics you see for sale, have done well over 100,000miles

I'm told that next year they are introducing a Civic Estate. Could be worth a look in a couple of years ?

Can I just repeat again...... I would never buy a Prius.

Edited by Hadrian on 14/05/2013 at 23:13

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - FP

"Most of the hybrid battery issues seem to come from the US forums."

If that is true, do the American hybrids have different batteries? Seems unlikely. Mind you, this is entirely outside my experience.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - unthrottled

"Most of the hybrid battery issues seem to come from the US forums."

If that is true, do the American hybrids have different batteries?

Battery chemistry is temperature sensitive. Most of the US has a continental climate (hot summers/cold winters) so batteries that perform well in the European climate might struggle in Arizona summers or Minnesota winters.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - Avant

Hadrian - I know you were asking for views on the Civic hybrid. But it's quite natural - and most would consider it helpful - for some with negative views about a car to suggest an alternative - in this case the Prius.

It might be useful if you told us why you wouldn't consider a Prius. Would you also rule out an Auris hybrid, which is nearer to the Civic in size?

As explained earlier, I wouldn't consider the Toyota alternatives, as I would not buy a hatchback. I was not after comments about Toyotas

I do not like hatchbacks, I would not buy a hatchback. I cant put it any plainer than that.

I was after comments (negative or positive) from people who actually own and drive the Civic hybrid. Not comments from those who have only read about it.

It was not a "what should I buy" question.

I have owned and driven all three the Honda is years behind the Prius and that must rank in the top ten of the most boring complicated car buit.Both Honda versions the Civic and Insight are heavy on petrol compared with other cars available and are high in Co2 immissions considering they supposed to be green cars.All this has been stated before by myself and other posters I do not now what you have got against hatchbacks but it must be some sort of phobia.

Not really anything else I can say is there ?

A rather pointless discussion.

Civic Hybrid IMA - Opinions from owners of Civic hybrids - nortones2

If hatchbacks are anathema, OP could always buy the Prius V station wagon:)