Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - abippc
Hello all,
Looking for some help!
I'm a single mum and worked really hard to buy my new car which was a major treat to myself!
I'm now sick and could cry myself to sleep most nights as I'm struggling to see how I can afford to run it!

I bought a hyundai i40 1.6 petrol tourer as it gave me the space I need for my little girl and all her grubbing and came with all the extras that made it feel really special!

I bought it from arnold clark but instead of the mpg of nearly 42 I am only getting about 30 mpg!

It now has 894 miles on ten clock and has cost me well over £200 in petrol to do that mileage!

I have filled up at the same petrol station, driven the same routes etc to see how the mpg changes but nothing makes it more economical! I drive with my 4 year old in the car and don't exceed 65 mph even on the motorway and always try to get it into 5 th and 6 th gear as soon as possible and only accelerate slowly!

I feel a bit let down - any suggestions as I cannot afford to spend £3 k a year on fuel just to do 8 thousand or so miles a year! It has taken all the joy out of a new car and if I honest I feel let down by the salesman who I'm surprised didn't feel the need at any pint to make me aware of this gas guzzling car.

It would prob be cheaper for me to drive a hummer!

Help! Anyone else got one and has the same concerns or experiences?

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - daveyjp
42 is the combined figure and most drivers will never get anywhere near this. The combined for my car is mid 50s. I have achieved it once after 120 miles of A roads in mid summer.

At 8,000 a year the urban figure is a better guide. HJ real mpg feedback is 34 mpg, so yours isn't an unusual figure.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - abippc
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me - it was me who posted the real mpg and I was being kind!

Think I will get in touch with hyundai as I feel I have been sold a bit a story never mind a car!

All the reviews I checked out prior to purchase quoted 42 upwards, even the garages own website!

Oh we'll, live and learn even if its a damned expensive one, and I have to lose to gain in the long run and get shot of it.

Thanks for your help with explaining the mpg!
Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - Cyd

I don't wish to appear unsympathetic, but there is enough publicity about how unrepresentative of real life the euro-mpg figures are. So I have difficulty understanding why anyone purchasing a new car, for whom economy is important, is still taking these figures as "real".

The only "economy" figures the manufacturer or dealer are allowed to advertise or discuss are those generated by the euro tests. Dealers cannot discuss "real" economy. That's the law.

On a more practical note, if you've been driving this car from new with a 'featherlite' touch, then you will probably never run the engine in properly - you may even end up with glazed bores, which will do you no economy favours. "Give it some" a couple of times a week to get it nicely bedded in and the economy should improve. Also use branded fuel (opinions differ, but I tried Shell V Power in my car the othe rweek and got about 12% better economy then usual on a fast run from Manchester to Leicester - and I usually run it on Jet super anyway)

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - Avant

Abi - welcome to the forum. A few thoughts.

Firstly the i40 Tourer is quite a big car for a little 1.6 engine to pull along, so as said above 30-35 mpg is about what one would expect in real-life driving. The engine has to work hard to make reasonable progress: small engine / big car is never a good recipe for economy.

Secondly, you should find the economy improves a bit when the car is run in. Drive normally as Cyd suggests above - you won't gain anything by pussyfooting.

The alternative is to sell the car and buy something more economical and almost as roomy. A Skoda Fabia estate with the lively 1.2 105 bhp petrol engine is worth a look, and a lot cheaper than an i40. If you want to stick with Hyundai or Kia, the Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed would be worth considering.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - daveyK_UK

Your MPG is better than I expected.

I doubt the Mondeo 1.6 petrol estate can get 30mpg.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - skidpan

The alternative is to sell the car and buy something more economical and almost as roomy. A Skoda Fabia estate with the lively 1.2 105 bhp petrol engine is worth a look, and a lot cheaper than an i40. If you want to stick with Hyundai or Kia, the Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed would be worth considering.

Don't sell it, you will never save money, the economics just don't work. Swapping cars only to save money never works and swapping a new car for another new car would be totally stupid.

You will loose a packet of money on the car even thought its nearly new, lets say 30% of the purchase price, about £6000.

Unless you buy a really small cheap car you will have to put more money down to get a another new car.

Doing 8000 miles a year at 40 mpg and 8000 miles a year at 32 mpg is about £300 a year difference, not the end of the world surely.

At a £300 a year saving it would take you 20 years to break even on a £6000 loss on the i40.

Even if you did swap cars the car you bought would never do the official mpg either.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - gordonbennet

I agree with some points above, give the car some welly to loosen it up, it will cost in fuel for a few weeks but you will reap long term benefits.

The main thing to do is look at your own driving.

The golden rule is all ground covered whilst your foot is off the throttle but not braking is free, so drive to the traffic conditions and terrain, use downhills to help the car accelerate and coast, try not to slow up approaching a steep hill let the momentum assist the climb, if you see a junction or other hazard requiring a slower speed ahead allow the car to coast up to it without braking from as far as needed, try to drive without braking if possible.

The biggest enemy of economy is your brakes, if you have to use them other than in the gentlest of applications then you did not anticipate well enough what was happening ahead...learn to look as far ahead as possible and pre plan as much as possible, it sounds like hard work but once you get into the habit it becomes easy.

Do not tailgait, leave a good distance between you and the car in front, chances of that car being driven with high anticipation skills are remote, watching other drivers constanty accelerating then braking whilst you simply ease along on a semi trailing throttle without going near the brakes will show you the difference.

Find the best pulling revs for your car, try to keep it below 3k RPM once its run in and avoid full throttle unless you need it for safe overtakes and exits from junctions etc.

If your car has an on board computer try to put the instant fuel consumption reading (if it has one) permanently on....that reading will help teach you how to drive for best economy, the funny about this is that your journey times will barely change overall but your driving becomes far more pleasurable.

Some of this is how i drive my lorries (except keeping the revs a bit lower, (between 900 and 1300 rpm), the nett fuel gains are 15 to 25% better than others with identical vehicles.

One other thing, do check the brakes are not dragging, will the car run free?

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - Alby Back

Short journeys with a never warmed through engine kill mpg. If possible, try to avoid using the car (unless you have to) for short hops. If you have the option to walk then take it.

Not suggesting you necessarily do many of those but it'll help a bit if you try to avoid them.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - Snakey

I posted something similar about my Vauxhall Zafira recently. From new it seemed to get terrible mpg (30ish) but after 2000 miles it has crept up to 35 and then 37mpg in the last fill.

So maybe its worth just waiting to see how the car does after a few more miles under its belt?

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - oldtoffee

Agree 100% with skidpan's comments and maths - don't sell it thinking you'll be better off even in the long term in a different car, you'll end up with a much smaller one and less goodies both of which were important to you when you bought the i40. There's no guarantee a smaller car will give you much better mpg, there are many tales of woe and unrest here from Ceed, i30, Focus, Golf owners getting nowhere near 42mpg but similar mpg to you with even higher official figures than your car.

Accept that when the car is properly run in (see HJ's advice in the FAQs for this) you could end up with 32/33 mpg which will cost you around £5 a week more than you thought it should.) I think thats not bad for quite a big car with a small'ish petrol engine.

The car has already lost a big portion of value, persevering with it wont see it lose your money at that initial alarming rate so I'd keep it at least for long enough for it to improve a bit and for your initial disappointment to fade. If you do keep it I think you'll be happy you didn't lose a pile of cash and end up with a smaller less well equipped car.

Edited by oldtoffee on 07/05/2013 at 16:37

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - galileo

gordonbennet, your advice on how to drive not only for maximum economy but also for safe and relaxed progress is an excellent summary of good practice.

After 50 + years of driving I seem to have adopted the same habits and encourage my grown up kids to do the same (not with 100% success, I fear!)

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - John Boy

gordonbennet, your advice on how to drive not only for maximum economy but also for safe and relaxed progress is an excellent summary of good practice.

I second that.

Hyundai i40 Tourer - Hyundai i40 mpg? - TopScot

The petrol i40s are known for being very thirsty

50 mpg is easily achievable on the diesels. However this is dependant on the oil used. Mine went as low as 38 with cheep oil from a local garage