Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - pullgees

I've owned it for five years but have never been able to correct this problem. I bought it at 50000 miles and it has now done 126000 I've had numerous tracking jobs done and tyre changes. During the time I've had it, replaced most of the suspension parts, - lower arms, drop links, top mounts, anti roll bar bushes. - but the problem persists.

Even after driving away from garage it drifts to the left. It's not road camber.

Edited by pullgees on 05/05/2013 at 16:04

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - alastairq

Have you had the rear axle alignment checked?

Not independantly of the front. What I observed the last time was that the mechanic fitted a gadget with a laser beam to the rear wheels to align the front.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - Oli rag

It sounds like the car may well have been in an accident before you bought it.

Maybe the chassis is bent?

It sounds like the car may well have been in an accident before you bought it.

Maybe the chassis is bent?

The paintwork is consistant, it could have had a total respray i suppose. I would have thought with the laser tech any twist in the car would show up.

Further to my post above, I have an ad on my HJ page referring to 4 wheel alignment. I have never had 4 wheel alignment and I expect it's much more expensive than toe adjustment. I can't see how my rear wheels can be adjusted though, not on a fiesta.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - Collos25

Three things cause your problem chassis bent,worn parts, and wheel alijgnment all stated above if you are unwilling to have the alignment done properly then you are not seriour about the problem personally I suspect Oilrags diagnosis a bent chassis.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - Galaxy

The diesel engine is known to be too heavy for the front suspension on these models. There is a TSB regarding modified tracking information in an attempt to overcome this problem.

As a guess, seemingly as you appear to have replaced almost everything else connected with the steering and/or suspension, I would suggest you might consider replacing the front springs.

Don't know what else to suggest.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - claire05

My fiesta diesl as been doing the same and like you have changed everything to do with the suspension, had all the steering sytem including rack checked 3 times at 3 different places nothing wrong. Without babbling on about how we discovered it we have found that the lower gearbox stabalising mount is knackered (ford dealers say very common problem). Did not suspect this since there was no noises or anything. Anyway getting it done this week and hoping this will clear the problem, will let you know.

My fiesta diesl as been doing the same and like you have changed everything to do with the suspension, had all the steering sytem including rack checked 3 times at 3 different places nothing wrong. Without babbling on about how we discovered it we have found that the lower gearbox stabalising mount is knackered (ford dealers say very common problem). Did not suspect this since there was no noises or anything. Anyway getting it done this week and hoping this will clear the problem, will let you know.

Yes please do. I can't see what that has to do with the problem but I wouldn't want to waste £50 on 4 wheel alingment if that is not the problem.

The diesel engine is known to be too heavy for the front suspension on these models. There is a TSB regarding modified tracking information in an attempt to overcome this problem.

As a guess, seemingly as you appear to have replaced almost everything else connected with the steering and/or suspension, I would suggest you might consider replacing the front springs.

Don't know what else to suggest.

What's a TSB and where do I find it?

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - Collos25

Technical Service Bulletin

Ford agents

Technical Service Bulletin

Ford agents

Thanks. Are they published online?

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - bathtub tom

bit.ly/10euCKL

Thanks I found one site only that listed Fiesta TSBs. Went through all the years pertaning to my model but found nothing close to my problem. I'll try a ford outlet.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Have you tried swapping the front wheels around, to see if it then pulls to the right? A previous owner may have replaced a front wheel, perhaps due to damage, and the replacement might have a different offset. (I did that many years ago on a Mini and it took me ages to realise that was why it was pulling!).

I popped into a Ford dealer and spoke to a long time Ford mechanic who use to work on Cortinas etc. He told me two things that cars are designed to drift to the left as a safety thing in case the driver falls asleep. And the other is that with diesels you are supposed to use expensive quality tyres on the front which use thicker material such as Michelen and the wearing down one side is far less likely as the tyres can take the extra weight..

Now I'm wondering if I have a problem at all.

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - thunderbird

I popped into a Ford dealer and spoke to a long time Ford mechanic who use to work on Cortinas etc. He told me two things that cars are designed to drift to the left as a safety thing in case the driver falls asleep. And the other is that with diesels you are supposed to use expensive quality tyres on the front which use thicker material such as Michelen and the wearing down one side is far less likely as the tyres can take the extra weight..

Whilst I agree that all cars tend to drift to the left a little (its normally down to road camber - try it on the opposite side of the road when its safe, the car will drift to the right) its total rubbish that diesel cars use "expensive quality tyres that use thicker materials". A tyre of a given size is the same regardless of being for a diesel or petrol. The mechanic is talking the biggest load of rubbish I have heard in years. Love to see him on Mastermind.

Whilst I agree that all cars tend to drift to the left a little (its normally down to road camber - try it on the opposite side of the road when its safe, the car will drift to the right) its total rubbish that diesel cars use "expensive quality tyres that use thicker materials". A tyre of a given size is the same regardless of being for a diesel or petrol. The mechanic is talking the biggest load of rubbish I have heard in years. Love to see him on Mastermind.

He went on to say that a local taxi firm who had newish Ford diesels wanted to know why they had excessive tyre wear. He explained that when the cars came off the assembly line they were fitted with quality tyres like Mich and advised the taxi firm to go back to those tyres and don't waste your money on cheaper brands as they are thinner.

I do drift to the left on the outside lane of a dual carriageway. I wiil give this another try just to make doubly sure..

Edited by pullgees on 07/05/2013 at 20:34

Fiesta MK4 diesel - What causes my car to drift to the left? - bathtub tom

Ha Ha Ha

The 'foreman' at a main Ford dealer correctly diagnosed worn drop links on a Focus I had. He then went and spoiled it by saying "I don't know why they fit anti-roll bars, they're not necessary". Millions on R & D could be saved by employing him in the design department.