AA stop drivers and demand details-is this legal? - focussed

How can a police force legally delegate part of their function to a private company and vest the employees of that company with powers to stop vehicles and demand driver details?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10399350.Workers_from_AA_have_new_powers_from_Sussex_Police/

What existing legislation covers this?

We'll have the guys who pick the litter up in Maccy D's carparks doing it next.

AA stop drivers and demand details-is this legal? - martint123
What existing legislation covers this?

Section 40 of the Police Reform Act 2002. ??

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/40

AA stop drivers and demand details-is this legal? - focussed

Oh -officially sanctioned so the real ones can spend more time in the canteen.

AA stop drivers and demand details-is this legal? - cockle {P}

OK, I'll ask the same question I asked some years ago when this was first mooted, that certain people should be given police powers who wouldn't normally be expected to have them.

I live in Essex I decide that today is a nice, sunny day and I and mine fancy a day out at the seaside in Brighton. Now how in hell am I supposed to know that AA patrolmen in Sussex now have certain police powers? Even worse, not every AA man in Sussex has these powers but only a favoured 20; how do I know which are the 20?

The whole point of a police officer being uniformed is that he is easily identified as having the powers of a Constable and if I am stopped by a PC I am quite happy to comply with any of his lawful requests. But if I am flagged down by some random chap in an AA jacket how am I to know he has been granted these powers, after all in Essex it could be Essex Constabulary have empowered not AA men but the RAC.......

AA stop drivers and demand details-is this legal? - bathtub tom

I had a similar problem, many years ago, with a traffic warden. She insisted I give my name and address. I refused, unless she could provide proof of her identity ( I didn't help when I suggested she could be any weirdo dressed up).

I subsequently found she was correct and at the time they weren't required to carry ID - they are now.

Gave the police I reported it to a good laugh, but they could see my point.