Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Trilogy

1. I was driving in a local city, where the cream of students study, the correct way down a one way street and in the space of 100 metres six cyclists cycled towards me. One was texting at the same time.These people do seem incredibly thick!

2. A cyclist was cycling along a cycle path and suddenly turned off the cross a Zebra Crossing. The motorist in front of me had to brake violently to avoid a collision,

3. On numerous occasions I have seen cyclists turn left when traffic lights are red, if they feel it is safe to do so.

4. In front of me a motorist was stationary at a red traffic light indicating to turn left at the front of a queue. In the meantime a cyclist decided to they would sit between this motorist and the pavement. If the motorist had not waited for the cyclist to go first, but had indeed turned left and collided with the cyclist, I wonder who would have been at fault?

It is a shame some idiots on bikes give the responsible ones a bad name.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - jamie745

Unfortunately it's that time of year now. The bicycles are dug out of the garage as the fairweather lot do their bit for the planet. Bring on winter.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - RT

And there's moves to introduce "strict liability" legislation which will mean the motorist is automatically liable for any accident involving cyclists - regardless of real blame.

Which surely goes against centuries-old principles enshrined by the likes of the Magna Carta and Habeas Corpus. The principle of only a court having the authority to determine a citizens liability predates the bicycle in this, once great country.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - gordonbennet

Plan your life if possible to not have to drive in the cities, move out find work elsewhere and don't return.

Its a bit like the death of the major high street, hounded enough the motorist (yes that solvent geezer that works for a living and subsidises those who don't) doesn't go there any more.

Sooner the same thing happens to cities the better, hell holes anyway.

Hope they ban lorries soon as mooted on the Jermeny Whine show today to make it safe for cyclists, i give that gem of an idea about a week till the shelves are bare.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - John Boy

Trilogy said: It is a shame some idiots on bikes give the responsible ones a bad name.

You could make a similar statement about motorists, lorry drivers, bikers, dog owners, bankers, solicitors, MPs, prime ministers ... the list is endless.

Perhaps but it's more pronounced with cyclists because they are a noticeable minority. There's so many millions of cars they just all fade into the background, cyclists don't.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Smileyman

I live opposite a one way street .... it's a surpise (not) the number of cars that regularly ignore the signs and drive the wrong way

Police / local council - do nothing

John Boy,

I've never had 6 car come at me the wrong way down a one way street.

Jamie747, you are correct.

Cyclists defy the law much more than motorists because they can't be traced as easily. By law ALL cyclists should ride with number plates. Very easy to enforce. All cyclists to wear a high visibility vest, for their own safety, with a cyclist identity number printed on it.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - sb10

You would be surprised what motorcyclists get up to as well,like riding on the wrong side of road on narrow streets,that annoys me.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Chrome

I've never seen a car going through a red light.

I've never seen a car with defective tyres.

I've never seen a car speeding in a pedestrian area,

I've never seen a car driver using a hand-held mobile phone.

I've never heard of a uninsured driver / untaxed car

Very easy to enforce.......................

Please stop bashing responsible cyclists for the foolish behaviour of a few students between lectures.

Edited by Chrome on 25/04/2013 at 10:16

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Bromptonaut

Cyclists defy the law much more than motorists because they can't be traced as easily. By law ALL cyclists should ride with number plates. Very easy to enforce. All cyclists to wear a high visibility vest, for their own safety, with a cyclist identity number printed on it.

The biggie people observe is cyclists running reds either kerbside or during a ped phase. Motor vehicles also run amber and red lights. Both mean Stop. Observe any busy London junction and you'll see buses and taxis going through reds on every part of the sequence when the red has shown for up to two seconds - Gt George St/Parliament Sq is good for observing the most egregious examples.

I'll decide whether I need a day-glo gilet 'for my own safety' thank you. As for putting numbers on then, apart from the obvious cloning/fake risk, what next?

Do you think the Police will act on drivers reports? They're very reluctant to act on cyclist reports of damngerous driving even with video evidence. Bikes won't trigger red light cameras - traffic lights on sensors are a problem for same reason.

Would you like to find yourself prevented from driving 'cos you were without a particular garment?

1. I was driving in a local city, where the cream of students study, the correct way down a one way street and in the space of 100 metres six cyclists cycled towards me. One was texting at the same time.These people do seem incredibly thick!

I'm guessing Cambridge? Admittedly a bit 'wild west' in biking terms. Not excusing it but there are places where vehicular one way systems make no sense on a bike and are down right dangerous - Kings Cross for example. Our PM has been caught on camera passing a No Entry sign. Hundreds of streets in London now allow contraflow running by cyclists with no specific lane marked. Nobody has died in one.

2. A cyclist was cycling along a cycle path and suddenly turned off the cross a Zebra Crossing. The motorist in front of me had to brake violently to avoid a collision,

Stepping out onto crossings is pedestrian behaviour. There is a rational overlap between peds and cyclists as evidenced by joint use paths

3.On numerous occasions I have seen cyclists turn left when traffic lights are red, if they feel it is safe to do so.

Kerbside turns are so safe that in many countries they're permitted for motor vehicles. The issue for this cyclist, who does stop, is one of 'bringing the game into disrepute',

4. In front of me a motorist was stationary at a red traffic light indicating to turn left at the front of a queue. In the meantime a cyclist decided to they would sit between this motorist and the pavement. If the motorist had not waited for the cyclist to go first, but had indeed turned left and collided with the cyclist, I wonder who would have been at fault?

Probably both but more likley cyclist would have braked and waited.

It is a shame some idiots on bikes give the responsible ones a bad name.

Part of the reason is that, as you have done, the media treat this sort of beviour as typical and look for 'cures' such as licensing, registration etc.

Bromptonaut, How are offenders going to be caught if there is no way of identifying them?

3. You are talking about other countries. The law in Britain is for cyclists to stop at a red light and not slip round to the left. Motorists may do it very occasionally but I do see it every day in this city. I have hardly ever seen a motorist do this. Cyclsts know it is extremely difficult for them to be traced, so the irresponsible, stupid, idiotic ones flaunt.

Chrome, read the last sentence of my original post!

Bromptonaut, How are offenders going to be caught if there is no way of identifying them?

The way they are now, by Coppers or PCSO's stopping them. They're regularly at London RLJ hotspots such as Gray's Inn Road.

But the first question is why do we need to catch them? Running reds is victimless and apart from 'getting away with it' what's the issue?

Cyclist hit and run injury or damage to cars is pretty rare. Anonymous damage to cars by other registered vehicles OTOH is a big problem - registration is not a cure all.

Just because cyclists generally don't mow down legions of babies every day doesn't mean they don't cause problems. This morning I was stuck behind some stupid bint on a bicycle with her child in one of those cycle trailer type things. On a busy road.

I seriously didn't think people still did stupid stuff like that.

Just because cyclists generally don't mow down legions of babies every day doesn't mean they don't cause problems. This morning I was stuck behind some stupid bint on a bicycle with her child in one of those cycle trailer type things. On a busy road.

I seriously didn't think people still did stupid stuff like that.

You'll have to help me there Jamie. Which bit, apart from being in your way, is stupid?

Well would you put your child in a little wheeled cloth bag on the back of your bicycle?

Well would you put your child in a little wheeled cloth bag on the back of your bicycle?

Would and did but only the younger one.

I wheeled them around and across the street and on unfenced pavements in an wheeled cloth and frame contraption by Maclaren.

Do you live in a yoghurt advert? Anyway that's not the same as doing it at 0.00004mph on a main, busy road (bus route no less) when it's clearly delivery day with dozens of trucks all over the place.

Not sensible.

Do you live in a yoghurt advert? Anyway that's not the same as doing it at 0.00004mph on a main, busy road (bus route no less) when it's clearly delivery day with dozens of trucks all over the place.

Not sensible.

Cycling on a BUS route? Quel Horreur!!

Seriuously in most other countries it's completely unremarkable to cycle with kids in a trailer or in front of the rider Dutch fashion http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/ .

Or perhaps.......

Whatever ;-P

Edited by Bromptonaut on 25/04/2013 at 16:21

This is Britain, not Holland. If you prefer the Dutch way of doing things then you're free to move there.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Chrome

Not sensible.

Oh dear me. Lets hope she realised how annoyed you were. I bet you were delayed for absolutely ages - at least 30 seconds. Best be thankful she wasn't driving a Hea***, Driving a Tractor, Driving a Roadsweeper, Driving a failed diesel in limp mode. Hang on though - these vehicles don't cause delays. Just bicycles eh?!

.....Chrome, read the last sentence of my original post!

Ah ok Trilogy. My point is that in the general scheme of things cyclists are not the main sinners.

Oh dear me. Lets hope she realised how annoyed you were. I bet you were delayed for absolutely ages - at least 30 seconds. Best be thankful she wasn't driving a Hea***,

A vehicle such as a car or carriage adapted to carry a coffin to the grave?
Surely the naughty word nurse on this site dosn't blush at the word Hea*** ?
EDIT: Yes it does. For goodness sake!!

Edited by Bromptonaut on 25/04/2013 at 17:37

Best be thankful she wasn't driving a Hea***, Driving a Tractor, Driving a Roadsweeper, Driving a failed diesel in limp mode. Hang on though - these vehicles don't cause delays. Just bicycles eh?!

You're just proving there that there's already enough stuff on the road to hold you up without m****s riding along towing their children in a shopping bag.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Ordovices

0.00004mph

Is that possibly a bit of an exaggeration?

Do we then expect that your assertion that it's a busy main road is hyperbole? And were there really "dozens" of trucks "all" over the place?

Don't the buses stopping, on the bus route, tend to hold you up too?

Sounds like your panties are bunching up, hook them out and relax.

3. You are talking about other countries. The law in Britain is for cyclists to stop at a red light and not slip round to the left. Motorists may do it very occasionally but I do see it every day in this city. I have hardly ever seen a motorist do this. Cyclsts know it is extremely difficult for them to be traced, so the irresponsible, stupid, idiotic ones flaunt.

I used other countries as an example to refute the claim that kerbsiding through a red is dangerous. If it was red light jumping would be the top killer of cyclists. It's not, that trophy is held by left turning LGV's

How are YOU inconvenienced by cyclists using observation and kerbsiding?

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - JOGON

I cycle and see bad cyclists, accellerating into conflict etc

I drive and see bad drivers, and was knocked off by one

I walk and see stupid pedestrians back to traffic/texting/earphones in oblivious

But we all owe a duty of care

This type of thread tends to get '2 wheels good' or not.

We need to get on tho'

Part of the issue is that a number of cyclists think they have priority on the roads AND on footpaths - make your minds up !

Bromptonaut, I can see it is a good idea, and could be introduced here. as long as it is for all road users. BTW, at some roundabouts there is a protected lane designated for all turning left. It is a brilliant way to maintain traffic flow.

Bromptonaut, I can see it is a good idea, and could be introduced here. as long as it is for all road users. BTW, at some roundabouts there is a protected lane designated for all turning left. It is a brilliant way to maintain traffic flow.

I'd be happy personaly with a flashing amber bike signal. BoJo has plans for someting like that in London.

One or two 'chords' for left turns through junctions round here in Northants eg Wilby Way on A45. M1/J21 has them too for traffic from or too the S/B carriageway.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - thirts

I suspect 99% of motorist break the law most days...but I guess that is all right.

How many think it's OK to break the speed limit, even by a few mph? And I suspect you do it for the exact same reasons as to why I sometime go through a red light on my bike.........Because you can get away with it, and it feels safe ( I only go through red, when there is no risk from traffic/predestrians)

And I suppose I do it to put two fingers up at the drivers who;

speed
use their phones whilst driving
block the bike line whilst they are waiting to pull out of a junction
turn left inches after just passing me (what the f*** is going on in their heads when they do this)

etc etc

I suspect 99% of motorist break the law most days...but I guess that is all right.

How many think it's OK to break the speed limit, even by a few mph? And I suspect you do it for the exact same reasons as to why I sometime go through a red light on my bike.........Because you can get away with it,

That's exactly the analogy I often use, though I stopped running reds a few years ago.

Found it was just getting me to the next red, the one it wasn't possible/safe to run, a few seconds earlier.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Avant

Yet another thread about cyclists......I shall sleep particularly well tonight.

It's odd that every few weeks this subject generates so much virtual hot air. Surely we are all well aware that:

- there are idiots among all types of road users, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians (probably a smaller proportion of HGV drivers, as most are trained professionals, although one recently killed a blameless cyclist in London who was a well-known scientist)

- whoever is to blame, a cyclist knocked off their bike is more liable to be seriously injured than the driver of the vehicle that did the knocking.

At least the debate has been fairly civilised so far, largely because the worst offenders haven't contributed (yet). Let's keep it that way, if we do really need to go on debating it.

With regard to HGVs, they have blindspots and this is an issue that needs addressing. Perhaps sensors to detect and warn the drivers, could be introduced.

Main difference between cyclists and motorists is that when a motorist breaks the law he/she is much easier to trace. If a car is involved in an incident most people can describe it i.e. colour, make, model and number plate. However, if a cyclist is involved, well, officer, it was a bike with a cyclist wearing a black jacket and a cycle helmet. Sorry can't tell you any more.

As Avant says, the cyclist is most vulnerable, which means don't take idiotic/stupid risks, as you are more likely to suffer the most - your fault or not, if you collide with, a heavy metal object on 3/4 or more wheels. I reduced my cycling mileage because most drivers give cyclists insufficient space.

My main beef, as most of you can tell, is that motorists causing an offence know they are easily traceable, whereas cyclists are not. Cyclists (lots of these are also motorists and I know of at least one who uses a bike, and a vehicle for his daily commute!(he said to me he behaves as a cyclist when on his bike and as a motorist when driving)) know this and basically stick two fingers up at the law.

My main beef, as most of you can tell, is that motorists causing an offence know they are easily traceable, whereas cyclists are not. Cyclists (lots of these are also motorists and I know of at least one who uses a bike, and a vehicle for his daily commute!(he said to me he behaves as a cyclist when on his bike and as a motorist when driving)) know this and basically stick two fingers up at the law.

I'm still left asking WHY you're so exercised about cyclists 'getting away' with stuff. Have you personally or anyone you know lost out in an incident involving or caused by a cyclist?

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - alastairq

we have finally arrived at a situaion where 'sheer numbers' of vehicles, including cycilsts, are begiinig to 'tell' on the public roads.

Yet, enforcement of regulations certainly has not kept pace.

Nobody wants to 'pay' for more enforcement.

Yet many demand it?

Every driver wants their driving life made easier.

Drivers, too often, expect help from others in order to keep their vehicles from causing harm or damage.

Driving Licences have become 'tickets-to-ride'.

It is a pity the pilots of passenger airplanes don't adotp similar attitudes?

I suspect Heathrow would become deserted overnight? [Would sort out the 'thrd runway' issue instantly?]

Instead, we have arrived at a 'chicken-and-egg' situation.

Which group will back-down and behave as the Law expects, first?

For my part, I comply with the Highway Code...certainly with regards cyclsits and other vulnerable road users. [I suspect I am a quiet voice in the dark on this one?}

I spend my working days making others 'aware' of such niceties...sometimes rather forcefully.

It has become prevalent to no longer consider others on the roads.....an ingrained attitude? [witness the issue of non-compliance with speed limits? Me, me, me???Rather than, 'how will others cope with me?']

Our Government has arived at the conclusion of 'if nothing untoward happens, we don't need to do anything.'

If we want all this flagrant disregard for the Law ot stop, we must put our monies where our mouths are.

Fat chance of that happening!

Edited by alastairq on 26/04/2013 at 11:41

I cycle to work regularly, it's quicker around Bristol! Fortunately there is a comprehensive network of cycle tracks where I need to go, however there are interfaces where the tracks have to cross the road, they are mostly controlled by pelican/puffin crossings but the red and amber lights don't seem to apply to many motorists if they deem themselves to be in a hurry (and anyone who has used the ring road will know that that is most people) particularly the on and off ramps to the M32. There is also a "Starman" attitude, where red sometimes means stop, green allways means go and amber means go faster!

I am also a driver and ex motorcyclist so I do see it from all sides and generally what I see when things get fractious appears to be spawned out of jealousy and intolerance from motorists of any highway user that is not in a car.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - A3 A4

I cycle to work regularly, it's quicker around Bristol! Fortunately there is a comprehensive network of cycle tracks where I need to go, however there are interfaces where the tracks have to cross the road, they are mostly controlled by pelican/puffin crossings but the red and amber lights don't seem to apply to many motorists if they deem themselves to be in a hurry (and anyone who has used the ring road will know that that is most people) particularly the on and off ramps to the M32. There is also a "Starman" attitude, where red sometimes means stop, green allways means go and amber means go faster!

I am also a driver and ex motorcyclist so I do see it from all sides and generally what I see when things get fractious appears to be spawned out of jealousy and intolerance from motorists of any highway user that is not in a car.

As a cyclist in Bristol can you tell me why when the city has plenty of cycle paths cyclists still feel the need to use the dual carriageways (namely the Ring Road A4174) when a cyclepath (at great cost to the tax payer) often runs parallel or is available for the same route?

As a driver it can be quite alarming when doing 60mph to close on a cyclist at alarming speed, even worse at night with just a small flashing LED showing, the attitude and stupidity of some cyclists sometimes really astounds me.

Edited by A3 A4 on 26/04/2013 at 16:30

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - ripjean

While I do agree cyclist's on roads with a speed limit of over 40 is madness (though not illegal unless a motorway or signed to say so) cycle paths cause a different issue. Most are installed to meet a Council objective to have more dedicated cycle routes. What is actually implemented is a low cost solution with no real benefit in terms of cycle journey. They are often narrow, shared with pedestrians or lampposts or bus shelters, with lots of side roads or driveways to cross. The road offers a clearer faster route. Given the option of a straight road with no lights or roundabouts or a road with lots of stops and starts which both get to the same destination which would most drivers use?

On the subject of red light jumping, even though illegal, bikes doing this actually improve junction capacity. If the bike stops at the lights and then moves when lights turn green the actual amount of vehicle's going through the lights on that cycle will be reduced as they have to go through at a slow pace until they can clear the cyclist. No bike equals faster progress through junction for cars!

While I do agree cyclist's on roads with a speed limit of over 40 is madness (though not illegal unless a motorway or signed to say so)

I cannot get more then half a mile form home without using roads with speed limits over 40.

Then do what the anti-car lobby tell motorists to do whenever we complain about fuel tax.

Move house.

Then do what the anti-car lobby tell motorists to do whenever we complain about fuel tax.

Move house.

My comment responded to an assertion that cylists had no place on (or were mad to use) roads with a limit of 40 or more.

40+ or even NSL are no problem for me. Pretty well the lanes round here are NSL but as they're nearly traffic free even the most nervous would have no problem.

You may not be entirely mad to use them but from a motorists point of view it's b***** terrifying because we instantly get the blame if you dart in front of the car and kill yourself.

As a driver it can be quite alarming when doing 60mph to close on a cyclist at alarming speed, even worse at night with just a small flashing LED showing, the attitude and stupidity of some cyclists sometimes really astounds me

Even more astounding in my eyes, is the attitude of drivers towards dual carriageways

They appear to consider them with the same approach as with motorways.

Yet, all they are is a plain, ordinary public hghway, perhaps with a lane suitable for overtaking?

The fact that, on a dual carrigeway a driver is just as likely to meet a tractor, a pedestrian, a flock of sheep...and....the worst sin apparently, another driver in the right hand lane, not overtaking, but turning right, seems to elude too many drivers!

I think the 'attitude & stupity' of many drivers is what is astounding.

Driving on perception and expectation?

I have long held the belief that for most, the safe arrival at the end of a journey is more down to chance and happy circumstance, than by any effort on the part of the driver.

Edited by alastairq on 26/04/2013 at 19:08

I don't know why some cyclists use the ring road, but if you feel that you are a danger to them driving at 60 mph, then perhaps you should slow down?

Speaking as a motorist&cyclist&bus-user&pedestrian

I always thought that part of the Driving Test ought to include an accompanied 1 hour cycle through a major city.

I always pass a bike as I'd want to be passed when riding ie if I fall off / pot hole / chain breaks sideways then they'd not drive over me. Some folks (perhaps like colleague above) do come scary close.

I always thought that part of the Driving Test ought to include an accompanied 1 hour cycle through a major city.

Should all cyclists be forced to drive a car to discover entire bicycles can be obscured by door pillars these days?

Should all cyclists be forced to drive a car to discover entire bicycles can be obscured by door pillars these days?

Entire cars can be obscured by screen pillars these days. No excuses for not moving the head or upper body so as to clear the blindspot.

No excuses for not moving the head or upper body so as to clear the blindspot.

My disabled mother may disagree with that. Can't be doing with doing the boogie every time she wants to take a left turn. Your attitude is very 'I can do whatever I want and everyone else can go to hell to suit me' and I'm just saying cyclists who don't drive sometimes don't realise how invisible - and terrifyingly unpredictable - they are.

No excuses for not moving the head or upper body so as to clear the blindspot.

My disabled mother may disagree with that. Can't be doing with doing the boogie every time she wants to take a left turn. Your attitude is very 'I can do whatever I want and everyone else can go to hell to suit me' and I'm just saying cyclists who don't drive sometimes don't realise how invisible - and terrifyingly unpredictable - they are.

Jamie,

I'm never sure when you're being ironic but this seems clear.

It's not just cyclists that a pillar can conceal but as I observed previously a whole car. Furthermore, approaching a junction, the movement of the pillar tracks that of the car and you still don't see unless you move peer round it. If your mother canot do that she may be becoming unsafe.

As a cyclist and driver I well understand the visibilty point from both perspectives. On two wheels approach from formal training is to IMPROVE your visibility. Counter-intuitively this means riding out from the kerb in urban traffic. Much more likley to be unseen/hit while lurking by the kerb and you've nowhere to go if a vehicle does get too close. Never mind the other dangers that lurk on the carriageway's shoulder including rubbish, surface peturbations and straying pedestrians.

If you find cyclists unpredictable you need to slow down a bit. We sometimes need to weave to avoid potholes. Manhole covers and thermoplastic road paint are lethally slippery when damp. Ill designed storm gutters can swallow a narrow wheel - bike stops dead and rider carries on over bars. Gusts of wind can be an issue too.

And of course like other road users we sometimes foul up and get in the way with late turns or lack of observation.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/04/2013 at 16:48

She can drive perfectly fine, she just can't do the twist-and-shout dance you seem to expect her to. I'm not interested in your politically correct, condescending rants. The fact is there are too many cyclists on the road and they do slow things down. You say 'tractors slow things down' as though cyclists dont or as though adding to inconvenience is your god given right.

I can only assume its the price of petrol forcing the impoverished onto two wheels. I could go entire weeks without seeing a cyclist even when I started driving in 2002. Now I struggle to reach the nearest shop without seeing some neanderthal on one.

Driver impairment doesn't remove the requirement to have full control of the vehicle - how can that be possible if the driver can't see certain directions ?

Well the GP is fine with it and thankfully his opinion matters whereas yours doesnt.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - bathtub tom

Well the GP is fine with it and thankfully his opinion matters whereas yours doesnt.

Would you use a driving examiner to diagnose a medical problem?

Would you use a driving examiner to diagnose a medical problem?

If you object to the system then take it up with the Government. Not me.

I always pass a bike as I'd want to be passed when riding ie if I fall off / pot hole / chain breaks sideways then they'd not drive over me. Some folks (perhaps like colleague above) do come scary close.

I always try to be to the right of the central markings in the road when passing a cyclist. Unfortunately this is not always possible, especially in towns and cities.

I always try to be to the right of the central markings in the road when passing a cyclist. Unfortunately this is not always possible, especially in towns and cities.

There comes a point where it's just not possible to pass with sufficient clearance but too many motorists lack the patience to wait. All too often it only gets them to back of next queue a second or too sooner.

Seem to be driven by a 'must get in front of the cyclist mentality

I'm regularly passed in same 75 yds stretch from speedhump to T-junction only to sail past them again.

Seem to be driven by a 'must get in front of the cyclist mentality

I kick it round them as fast as humanly possible. The more time you're stuck behind or - even worse - alongside is just asking for a lawsuit from the politically correct treehuggers on their ethically made African bicycles.

Just a bit of advice from the Highway Code (similar to the pirate code, not so much rules as guidelines)

Mirrors. All mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey. You should

use your mirrors frequently so that you always know what is behind and to each side of you
use them in good time before you signal or change direction or speed
be aware that mirrors do not cover all areas and there will be blind spots.
You will need to look round and check.

Jamie 745

-------------

[No excuses for not moving the head or upper body so as to clear the blindspot]

~~~

As I said, as a cyclist who does drive I'm painfully aware of how invisible I may be and hence ride in high viz + helmet. None of that helped 14 months ago when a polite chap knocked me off from behind at a roundabout .."checking his rear view mirror"..

Hence my suggestion that "drivers" "ride", which you ridiculed.

You seem to be saying that your disabled mother may unable to drive with due care and attention. Children have a duty to tell parents when it's time.

the references to ''disabled drivers' hilite prevailing general drivers' attitudes as well.

Drivers of all types need to be reminded, they have a licence to control a mechnaical vehicle.

They are in charge of that vehicle, and entirely responsible for what that vehicle does..including interaction with other road users.

The impression I get from reading some of ther posts above is that the driving licence is considered to be no more than a personal travel pass.

If a driver who, either through physical limitation, or by the nature and characteristics of their vehicle, cannot see clearly all around prior to conducting a change of position or manaoeuver, they are duty-bound by law , to exercise due care throughout the whole process, and extra care if doing something which other road users might find unusual, or might not be prepared for.

No one type of road user has any more right to use the public highway than any other.

Many drivers seem to forget this.

So, the next time a cyclist, or other road user is passed, ask yourselves whether the manner in which that vulnerable road user was dealt with, would have...on a driving test [certainly one assessed to the appropriate level of driver skill expected?], resulted in a serious fault?

And before one shouts that 'one is not on a drivng test'..or one drives 'differently' on a test. remember this...a serious fault when on a test, can translate into a contravention of the Law once a licence is gained.

{drivng without care and consideration, anyone??}

When did this stop being a motoring forum and turn into the Green Party?

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - John Boy

When did this stop being a motoring forum and turn into the Green Party?

I think that happened with the 2nd post.

I just find it depressing. Los Angeles is looking a better option all the time.

Today a cyclist came out of a side road, to join the main road, without looking. I know motorists do this too, but it beggars belief that a vulnerable cyclist would be daft enough to do it!

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - nortones2

A "momentary lapse of concentration" I think is the phrase used in the mitigation of drivers who have blundered.

Perhaps, but a 'momentary lapse of concentration' generally doesnt kill me in my car. One small mistake can wipe a cyclist out so it does surprise me when they do stupid things.

I'll give cyclists one thing; they have some bottle. I couldnt sit on some horizontal dildo with buses/cars/lorries all streaming past me.

The mind boggles. However, I do believe you are a virgin, in so far as cycling is concerned. Is that not so?

Perhaps, but a 'momentary lapse of concentration' generally doesnt kill me in my car. One small mistake can wipe a cyclist out so it does surprise me when they do stupid things.

I'll give cyclists one thing; they have some bottle. I couldnt sit on some horizontal dildo with buses/cars/lorries all streaming past me.

Rationally your chances per mile of being wiped out cycling are in same order as a sober pedestrian, rather less than a tipsy pedestrian and much much less than one who's drunk.

Most of the time in London I'm streaming past cars, lorries and bues :-)

I just find it depressing. Los Angeles is looking a better option all the time.

Threat or promise?

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Ben 10

'naut,

How can you justify jumping red lights? Especially pedestrian ones. The number of times I've seen the older person or young child getting a swipe as the arrogant t*** on the bike sails through. Car drivers have to stop for them so why shouldn't you. You seem to intimate that it doesn't do harm. It does.

One other irritating habit. Non use of arm signals. Give us a clue as to what your intentions are cyclists.

As for accountability, I suggest that ALL cyclists, by law, have to wear a hiviz waistcoat with a serial number stamped on back and front that has the details of the cyclist registered on a database. That way they can be caught doing "naughty" things by CCTV like us drivers are on a regular basis. And might deter bad cycling practices.

One other irritating habit. Non use of arm signals. Give us a clue as to what your intentions are cyclists.

As for accountability, I suggest that ALL cyclists, by law, have to wear a hiviz waistcoat with a serial number stamped on back and front that has the details of the cyclist registered on a database. That way they can be caught doing "naughty" things by CCTV like us drivers are on a regular basis. And might deter bad cycling practices.

Give us a clue? This is not just an irritating habit of cyclists, many cars seem to have indicators as optional extras.

Accountability. Good idea Ben 10, couldn't agree more. I do think tracker devices, mass produced could be fitted inside every bike when manufactured.

Accountability. Good idea Ben 10, couldn't agree more. I do think tracker devices, mass produced could be fitted inside every bike when manufactured.

How does that work then, like those devices in high value cars?

It never ceases to amaze me how people want to constrain and regualate activites that annoy them.

'naut,

How can you justify jumping red lights? Especially pedestrian ones. The number of times I've seen the older person or young child getting a swipe as the arrogant t*** on the bike sails through. Car drivers have to stop for them so why shouldn't you. You seem to intimate that it doesn't do harm. It does.

Ben,

Of course cyclists should stop at lights, I do. But there are plenty places where kerbside turns or over long ped phases mean jumping lightscarries no danger to anyone. I'm not justifying just explaining why people do it.

Where do drive where you see older people or young children regulalry get swiped? In spite of riding in Central London for thirteen years I've never seen such an incident although some twonks undoubtedly push it and wizz close by.

Trilogy made the same suggestion about hi-viz as a mount for registration plates. It's a motorist dog in the manger's wet dream. It won't work because of cloning, borrowing, legibility and obstruction. Never mind the cost of the CCTV and paying some poor sap to watch it.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Ben 10
naut,

You're such a hard head and unbending to the majority who pay to use the roads in all manor of ways.
Can't you listen for once. You steam ahead on both sites. Yes I've read your drivel "there" too.

I live, and work in London and have witnessed bikers clip peds on numerous occasions sailing through ped RED lights.

I've seen it on the crossing outside my kids school. So yes, it goes on fella. And more than you think. Of course you are in more than one place at a time to see it not happen. Or you don't want to accept it does. Just like lorries turning left are demonic. No, how many lorries turn left on Londons streets day in day out and compare that with casualties. Not enough in my book to change lorry design or whatever, if you base it on your own argument.

My car has a reg plate. Why can't you have similar. My plate can be cloned, nicked or made eligible, but I still have to have them. I think you want to remain anonymous so you can carry on breaking the rules. So you're argument falls down again. What's good for us is good for you lot.

The CCTV is already there. Fining drivers for all manor of infringements, its monitored by a poor sap who would relish zooming in on a red light jumper. A nice cash cow.

Oh and one last thing, hand/arm signals. Agree or not? And don't go on about motorists who don't use indicators. I do and the best motorists do. The one's who don't are as bad as the worst cyclists.

Face up man. Many cyclists ride like idiots and the onus for safe cycling has to be met halfway. So admit some of your fraternity are bad.

naut, You're such a hard head and unbending to the majority who pay to use the roads in all manor of ways. Can't you listen for once. You steam ahead on both sites. Yes I've read your drivel "there" too.

Ben (are you Kevin in t'other place)?

When you say listen for once you mean accept the other point of view and shut up. Whether it's Thatcher or cycling it ann't going to be me who shuts up !!

We all pay for the roads. Tax disc and fuel duty are just part of general taxation.

What I post is what I see. I stopped jumping reds ten years ago (barring one junction, now remodelled where I took bus /bike advance green from wrong lane). I'm not defending it either but it's hardly the crime of the century and TBH the biggest effect is to bring cycling into disrepute.

I honestly cannot recall seeing a 'contact' incident between a jumping cyclist and a ped in 13 years. . Quite a few where cyclists jump red & pass far closer than the 6 feet I'd allow for peds wandering in carraigeway away from crossing but nobody's hurt. If it's one or two regualr nobbers get the cops round.

Registration is complex and costly to administer. It came in for cars along wih insurance and testing because there was a real and present problem with serious injury and death.

Until calls for imposition of similar controls on cylists have a justification beyond 'they're getting away with stuff' and towards quantifiable damage you might as well call for bar coding at birth.

Of course there are carp cyclists just as there are carp drivers. Some ride like idiots but so do motorists. Car + idiot is potentially fatal. Idiot + bike is an inconvenience.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/05/2013 at 22:32

Seconded.
Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - galileo

Cyclists riding two abreast on narrow-ish roads with double white lines are also using the road "without due consideration for other road users". If they are doing over 10 mph one is not supposed to overtake them, and many car drivers won't pass them even if they are at 10 mph.

I am convinced these gangs of militant cyclists deliberately cause these obstructions because they are bitter, twisted and hate motorists. I bet many of them work for the local councils drawing up schemes for speed humps, 20 mph zones and other traffic "calming" ideas.

it works both ways...motorists are like that too.

There used to be advice in the Highway Code about cyclists not riding two-abreast. That seems to have disappeared?

If drivers behave as you decribe, reluctant to do anything, that isn't the 'fault' of the cyclist. Blame for that must lie squarely with the driver, and their ignorance.

Whilst it is ideal to overtake a cyclist 'leaving as much room as one would a car'.....if one is compelled to be closer, due to road markings, or other valid reasons..then one should pass as slowly as the distance off requires.

If cyclists, or any other road user presents a problem, simply deal with it.

[and I'm willing to bet most cyclists I come across, aren't moving at more than 10 mph!...[prove otherwise, I suggest?]

Of course, if they're doing 20 or 30 mph, they present no more difficult a hold-up than a tractor or JCB.

Like I said earlier, depends on how one views one's driving licence?

If it is simply a glorified travel pass, then bleat and suffer accordngly?

There used to be advice in the Highway Code about cyclists not riding two-abreast. That seems to have disappeared?

There was never all encompassing advice about not riding two abreast. It's always been not MORE than two abreast and single up if busy etc. The current wording from Rule 66 is:

• never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - Trilogy

Cyclists riding two abreast on narrow-ish roads with double white lines are also using the road "without due consideration for other road users". If they are doing over 10 mph one is not supposed to overtake them, and many car drivers won't pass them even if they are at 10 mph.

I am convinced these gangs of militant cyclists deliberately cause these obstructions because they are bitter, twisted and hate motorists. I bet many of them work for the local councils drawing up schemes for speed humps, 20 mph zones and other traffic "calming" ideas.

Some ride two abreast because they feel safer. I can understand that.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22347184
    This seems like progress!

Lanes giving priority to cyclists are just another way to try to keep the motorists out of city centres as these will slow them down even more - not that I personally have any problem avoiding city centres - but then none of my hard-earned cash supports city based businesses.

British roads were designed for the horse and cart - cars and trucks are their natural successors - not cyclists!

I think, with a little research RT, you will find that the Cyclists Touring Club pressured successfully for road improvements well before the arrival of the car:) The AA was formed from the CTC in due course.

Try again.

As for hold-ups, it's pretty obvious that major urban delays are caused by queuing vehicles. Getting more people on cycles will probably improve traffic flow. But, if you want to sit around in a jam, it's your choice.

As for hold-ups, it's pretty obvious that major urban delays are caused by queuing vehicles. Getting more people on cycles will probably improve traffic flow. But, if you want to sit around in a jam, it's your choice.

Just how do you take big items of luggage or goods on a cycle - or indeed how do you cover long distances if you only have poor or average health ?

This is the tunnel-vision of the pro-cycling lobby - it's a selective method of transport that only carries people short distances.

Cyclists and the law, or indeed above it. - unthrottled

This is the tunnel-vision of the pro-cycling lobby - it's a selective method of transport that only carries people short distances.

Yes, but it's incredibly good at that task. I can't care for any of the cycling lobbies and their sanctimonious, anti-car eco-posturing is nauseating. Millitant cyclists crashing through red lights don't help the image of cycling either.

But the fact remains that, In towns, bikes make sense. They make better use of the road space than cars yet are much faster than walking. The mistake many cycling clubs make is to think that what is bad for motorists is inherently good for cyclists. This is complete nonsense and just leads to unnecesary antagonism.

No-one suggests bicycles could carry large loads, or supplant transits. Just that encouraging use can reduce congestion. See Stockholm/Amsterdam at rush hour: legions of bike, all of which supplant the use of a car. Most cars in the UK have one occupant in the overwhelming majority of commuter traffic, and most car journeys are quite short. Average length of a commuting trip 8.6 miles in 2009. Dear me - tunnel vision?

Just that encouraging use can reduce congestion.

But that 'encouragement' usually takes the form of making car driving less appealing (exorbitant parking, speed bumps, congestion charges etc etc. This might make cycling relatively more attractive than driving, but it does nothing to make cycling more enjoyable.

Concepts that rely on artifically hobbling alternative options are contemptible.

There are many ways of encouraging bike use. There are already signs that the number of trips by car is reducing. And the controls on cars are here already, not primarily as a result of the pro-cycle lobby. It might even be the AA in favour.

There are already signs that the number of trips by car is reducing.

You'd be naive to believe that this is because of user choice. High motoring taxation and reduced household income have forced some people to reduce their car use. It's not the result of a road to Damascus conversion to cycling. Notting Hill policy wonks might herald the era of peak car use, but it's not a good thing for those affected.

If bike use is so good, it doesn't need 'encouragement'. I like cycling and I don't look for some stinking government inducement to use it!

If the use of car transport was essential then journey numbers would remain the same. Clearly not all car use is essential: there are alternatives. Encouragement could mean dealing with issues that have reduced bike usage: roads designed for cars only.

Clearly not all car use is essential.

True, but trite.

Most of our activities are not 'essential', and indeed many of them could be considered profligate and pointless, but that doesn't mean that we don't enjoy them!

Encouragement could mean dealing with issues that have reduced bike usage: roads designed for cars only.

In other words, creating cycle specific lanes. Since road space is limited in cities, this comes at the expense of road space for cars. I cycle in city centres without too much of a problem. I observe lane discipline on roundabouts too. Mimsers on Dutch ultility bikes crawling along with their haloes of imperious eco-haughtiness are as much to blame for congestion as SUVs.

No-one suggests bicycles could carry large loads, or supplant transits. Just that encouraging use can reduce congestion. See Stockholm/Amsterdam at rush hour: legions of bike, all of which supplant the use of a car. Most cars in the UK have one occupant in the overwhelming majority of commuter traffic, and most car journeys are quite short. Average length of a commuting trip 8.6 miles in 2009. Dear me - tunnel vision?

I wasn't talking "large" loads or Transit-sized loads, cyclists can't carry very much at all. You can't take many small children to school by bike, you can't do the shopping by bike - there's so many things you can't do by bike.

Perhaps the very purpose of cities needs examining - with so much technology available, just why do so many have to cram into cities, however they travel - let's use the technology we have and decentralise.

I wasn't talking "large" loads or Transit-sized loads, cyclists can't carry very much at all. You can't take many small children to school by bike, you can't do the shopping by bike - there's so many things you can't do by bike.

You certainly can take small children to school by bike. There are a variety of child seats that restrain the child securely behind the parent. There's a one of those Dutch barrow bikes carrying kids passes my office every day. As soon as they're big enough a tag along and independence at 10/11.

Shopping just needs breaking down into manageable quantities. When we were just a couple the weeks groceries easily went in touring bike panniers. Besides, with supermarkets delivering it comes to your door.

You can take children to school, do the shoppong or take enough stock for a market stall (depending on what you sell) in a cycle trailer. I've seen it done. :)

So how are cyclists going to fund all the improvements they want ?

Road fund tax was introduced for motor vehicles back in the '30s to fund road improvements - fuel duty paid by motor vehicle users is available for the Treasury to spend as they see fit.

We all pay Income Tax, based on income but cyclists pay not an extra penny to use road, pavements and footpaths.

There's absolutely no justification in expecting motor vehicle users to fund any facilities for cyclists.

I wonder now many motorists cycle to work and only use a car for other purposes.

Road tax:- you could be very easily wrong.

A lot of my peer group have cars, as well as being cyclists so I suspect the old bar room / Clarkson cliche of "cyclists don't pay road tax" is redundant. And each time the driver cycles there's a car less about for you but he gets no rebate.

Also it is decades since "road tax" was directed to "roads" just as "national insurance" used to be your "health stamp", these are all just morphed into HM Treasury income.

Cycling and driving makes one better (tho not perfect) at doing both, hence my noddy (perhaps unworkable) suggestion to get cycling into the driving test.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 03/05/2013 at 23:21

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 03/05/2013 at 23:22

I think what a lot of folk are forgetting is...just what sort of transport was used on a regular basis before the motorcar became generally available, and easily [financially] accessible?

Why..the bycycle, of course.

Upon which one commuted to work, carried the shopping, and generally got around a lot cheaper and quicker than hte bus, or shanks's pony.

Let's face it....we drivers find the cyclists thoroughly inconvenient.

They get in our way, and often actually make us think about what we are doing...when, as drivers, we'd much rather not think at all.

We'd much rather sit there at 50 mph, glued to the rear bumper of the car in front, like a long endless convoy.

We see the public highway as our own personal preserve....after all, the local authorities go to great lengths to lay down billiard-table smooth tarmac so we can look cool in our low-slng plastic covered personal transports, with their [ridiculous] low profile tyres that frankly are totally unsuitable for any normal road [how we hate those potholes that quite naturally appear?}...

Like buying 'sensible' shoes, we object stongly about having to buy 'sensible' cars....and equally, we object strongly to anything that gets in our way..whether its cyclists, or pedestrians, or old drivers,or learners, or white vans, or horses...

Those who struggle to cope with any other type of road user, needs to get themselves on a driving course which will teach them the value of tolerance.

Horses were also used before the cyclist. At least a bike is controllable!

Driving course? That brings IAM to mind. Mind you, a ROSPA Test is much better.

Those who struggle to cope with any other type of road user, needs to get themselves on a driving course which will teach them the value of tolerance.

There is no issue between considerate road users, whatever their mode - the issue is the inconsiderate among each group who cause avoidable problems for other groups and campaign for their group to get more priority..

I'm done here. Makes a change from zero.................. to 100.