Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - Snakey

I understand from the various threads on here that diesel engines can take up to 10,000 miles before you start to achieve your optimum economy, but does that also apply to petrol engines?

My 2013 1.6 Zafira only has about 1500 miles on it and is averaging about 32-33mpg which is disappointing considering a) its a pretty slow car and b) I have a pretty gentle (top speed 50-60mph) commute)

I'm not expecting to get the 42mpg that the manufacturer quotes, but I had though 37-38 would be realistic. I've had a lot of petrol cars and generally have got to within 3-5mpg of the quoted figures.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - thunderbird

All engines take a while to bed in but diesels do tend to take longer. All engines use more fuel when the weather is colder as well and since we have had a cold winter you will find your mpg has been affected.

I always consider that if I can get within 20% of the quoted official combined i am doing quite well, you are only just ouside that and you will improve now the weather is warmer.

Low powered cars are rarely very good in the real world since you have to thrash them to get reasonable performance, in the official tests with no hill or wind resistance even the small amount of power they have is adequate.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - RT

On a petrol engine your consumption may improve slightly over the next 500-1000 miles but they don't have the long bedding-in of diesels.

It's often said that a small engine in a given car will have to work just as hard in absolute terms as a big engine - and so consume the same amount of fuel.

In the case of Zafira, the 1.6 always struggles - even the 1.8 does when loaded - so expect consumption on a par with the 2.2.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - craig-pd130

It might be worth giving it a burst of medium-intensity work to do, to fully bed-in the piston rings. This should aid the running-in process.

This means accelerating firmly, using around half throttle, from around 40 to 60mph in 4th gear, then easing off, and repeating half a dozen times. A local stretch of dual carriageway is ideal for this.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - daveyK_UK

1.6 unit in the zafira is a reliable proven engine.

An extra 0.2 litres dont sound like much, but the 1.8 petrol engine pulls alot better in the zafira.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - Cyd

I'd agree with Craig, except that I'd use full throttle from 40 - 70, then shut the throttle and allow the car to slow down naturally.

Under full throttle the rings are forced outward against the bores by the cylinder pressure. Under over-run conditions oil will cool the rings and bores again. Only do this on a thoroughly warmed engine.

Empirically i have found that engines used to being thrashed give best economy when driven moderately. An Italian tune once every 1000 miles will pay dividends.

I agree the 1.6 is a bit slow, but one of the reasons I went for it is (apart from the silly discounts) that it is a simple well known engine.

I'll see how the mpg develops over the next 1000 miles or so. I do take the revs up every so often as otherwise you don't get much in the way of forward movement! It seems to be very flat under 3000rpm but I guess thats the 'vvt' part of the engine.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - JimChantal

I'm running in exactly the same car at around 1200 miles, but getting between 34 and 38 mpg, so am happy so far. Yes, the discounts were excellent, too good to ignore in my case, and coming from a well worn Picasso HDi 1.6 the Zafira seems very civilised and quiet. It also feels far better engineered too, and the lack of interior rattling is frankly a relief. The warranty too is excellent but I'm surprised how much flack Vauxhall is getting in some quarters - yes, it's just for the first owner, but then they are clear about that and if, like me, you intend to keep it over a long period, then the deal is the best that currently exists. As for power, well yes, it is a slow car by current standards but not in my opinion underpowered - it goes as fast as I need to go and compares fine in terms of general performance with my previous diesel Picassos, which I've had since 2001. They had torque and the driving experience is different, but either is fine for me. They obviously were far better on consumption and, it must be said, overall running costs were excellent. However, the general impression was always one of poorly thought out detailing, of approximate rather than any precision. The Citroen service in England was also poor at best - in my experience French Citroen dealers seem far more on the ball. My experience buying from my Vauxhall dealer was excellent. And go back to the price - a new car of this size with up to a 100,000 mile guarantee and a solid reputation was considerably cheaper at £10,000 than buying a one year old example from a national chain. So far an excellent deal and, for me, nothing else similar came close.

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - daveyK_UK

Its excellent value thats for sure.

But after owning a 1.6 and a 1.8, I would never go back to the 1.6 as it really struggled with any weight on board.

Well just to update this thread I'm now at just over 2000 miles and the last fill up showed 37.4 mpg (brim to brim) so either the extra miles or the milder weather are making a difference!

Vauxhall Zafira - Petrol engine - 'running in' - TeeCee

I'd have thought that the warmer weather is the most likely candidate. The engine will be spending more time at operating temperature and thus less time running enriched during your daily commute.

It doesn't help that when it's cold you'll also be using the heater, which has the side effect of lengthening the time taken to warm up fully from cold.