Toyota 1.4 D-4D - Toyota 1.4 D-4D maintenance costs - IainleD
I am looking a cheap supermini - so maybe 6, 7 years old and 80-100K. I know to my great cost (£1,500) that the Renault Clio engine is great until it goes wrong. On researching I found that small engined common-rail diesels are typically not as reliable as the old diesels, being under much greater stresses, which they most likely will sometime after 80,000 miles, even if properly serviced.

I know that Toyota have a great reputation for reliability, but common rail is a rather special case of pushing the technical boundaries. So, I hope that an expert who works on such small engined common rail diesels may be able to tell me if I can expect the same type of problem with the 1.4D-4D too.
Toyota 1.4 D-4D - Toyota 1.4 D-4D maintenance costs - madf

I have owned a Yaris d4d since 2006. And diy'd it. No DPF fitted on mine.. if you buy one with one fitted - post 2005 - they can block with lots of short runs. I believe.

Maintenance? I use 5-30W synthetic oil altho semi will do (Toyota changed from 10-40 to 5-30 for economy) . Oil filters every 10k with oil chnage, air filters every 20k. Fuel filter every 40k. Parts costs £13,£20 , £20 respectively approx.. I only use Toyota oil filters - cheaper on ebay from Toyota dealer.

Other maintenance? Clean EGR valve. tinyurl.com/cjgx7qv #

Other than that, very very reliable.. If you do lots of short runs, it will soot up.. Italian tuneups recommended.

Check coolant for oil - early 2002 engines had HG problems..

Check timing chain for rattle on cold start.. lack of oil changes.

# yes: I am madasafish there.