Peugeot 406 hdi 2002 - Max revs 2000rpm, loss of power and black smoke - TimmoD
We've been having intermittent problems with loss of power, not able to get above 35mph with my foot to the floor with max revs of 2000rpm. In addition we've got huge amounts of black smoke from the exhaust and under the bonnet and fumes in the car which smell like exhaust. Also loss of power steering. The car has done a lot of miles, over 220 000, is this the end for it, or can it be fixed?
Peugeot 406 hdi 2002 - Max revs 2000rpm, loss of power and black smoke - Peter.N.

I think the most likely cause is an intermittently restricted air intake, possibly a hose collapsing under stress. You can check this by disconnecting the air intake to the manifold and trying it, the performance will be reduced as the turbo will not be doing anything but it should rev OK.

I am puzzled about failure of the power steering though as the pump is mechanically driven from the engine so should have no connection with engine function.

It certainly should be worth repairing, they are a nice car, I have one.

Just noticed you have smoke under the bonnet, if you can see where its coming from that might be a clue, or does the fault dissapear as soon as you stop?

Peugeot 406 hdi 2002 - Max revs 2000rpm, loss of power and black smoke - Collos25

After you have checked what Peter has proposed check the EGR valve is not blocked up or is not working , its a common fault on neglected HDi engines.

Peugeot 406 hdi 2002 - Max revs 2000rpm, loss of power and black smoke - Peter.N.

Could possibly be, thanks, I had forgotton about that.