Nissan Navara D22 2000 model 4x4 - ABS shuddering - Supertramp

At work we have a couple of these Navara 4x4 2.5 TD pick-ups, the one I have has around 160,000kms on the clock and runs on the standard spec. 205/Rx16 tyres as from the factory.

The second identical Nissan has 380,000kms (engine is still good!) and the driver has changed the wheels a few years ago to 235/70x16 tyres and they're not chunky off-road type as you would expect, more like a normal road vehicle - for a number of reasons, mainly because when he pranged it it was easier and cheaper to find those rims.

Anyway the other day i got in it for the first time in years to drive across town and had to jump on the anchors in the dry and it felt like I was treading on marbles...the ABS was indeed doing it's stuff by not letting the wheels skid but I did honestly wonder if it would pull up......having got used to mine which pulls up straight and even.

Now is there a reason for the ABS to act up like this?...is it the wider tyres have too much stopping ability on dry roads and the ABS struggles to cope or something else?

Thing is he is a bit of a "fiddler" and always messing around making things what he thinks is better......I just wonder if there's something that maybe he's been tinkering with that caused this.

............Please note that we're located overseas with no MOT stations as such....or not to U.K. standards anyway.

Edited by Supertramp on 08/04/2013 at 13:25

Nissan Navara D22 2000 model 4x4 - ABS shuddering - gordonbennet

Tyres and wheels are not at fault IMO so long as they same size all round.

Unless you are standing on the brakes hard enough to start to skid the ABS should never feature, if anything better on road tyres should lessen the chance for ABS to be triggered on road.

First thing i'd do is check the load sensing valve at the rear axle, maybe the linking arm has got bent or pulled out or the valve has seized, allowing full load rear brake pressure through when the vehicle is unladen, that would make the brakes most unpleasant.

Then a full brake strip clean lubricate and reassemble, also checking that caliper pistons and rear slave cylinders are free moving, wouldn't hurt to bleed the system whilst you've got the wheels off.

Nissan Navara D22 2000 model 4x4 - ABS shuddering - galileo

Son had a similar problem, ABS would sometimes trigger for no obvious reason, careful checking we found a crack in the reluctor ring on a rear wheel.

Nissan Navara D22 2000 model 4x4 - ABS shuddering - focussed

I've got a vehicle of similar weight and size, a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up with ABS. You have to remember that these are not cars and do not perform remotely like a a car. They are close on 2 tonnes weight with a full tank before adding any load. Standing on the anchors hard on mine on anything but a perfect road surface will promote exactly the same sort of behaviour as you describe - it's what they do.

Nissan Navara D22 2000 model 4x4 - ABS shuddering - Supertramp

Yes, I see what you're saying but the thing is I drive the "other one" since 2001 and put the 160,000kms on the clock in the same countryside/town so pretty familiar with how they stop....otherwise I would have put it down to driver trouble

I'll ask the guy to take a look at this load sensing valve - is there a setting for it?

Also the reluctor(?) ring on the back axle - is it out near the half-shaft end?