MGF cambelt - Johnw
On booking in my MGF for service at a main dealer the receptionist stated that the cambelt would need replacing.The car,a 1996 model has done 34000 miles, and according to the service schedule the cambelt needs replacing at 96000 miles.Am I being ripped off?
MGF cambelt - Dynamic Dave
Does the service schedule also mention at how many years the belt should be changed, if the mileage hasn't been reached? Normally with servicing, its a mileage or a period of time - whichever comes sooner. If the belt has never been changed before, seven years on the original cambelt is an awful long time.
MGF cambelt - DavidHM
Assuming this is the original belt, I agree. 96k is a long time between cambelt changes, and virtually all MGFs are very low mileage. The cost of a cambelt is minimal, though it can involve quite a lot of labour to fit it. The damage if it fails will be extensive (basically, a new engine unless you are very lucky) so it's worth doing. Personally, I'd do it at 5 years or 50k, whichever is the sooner, so unless they're charging you a silly amount of labour I'd go ahead and do it.

Incidentally, the amount of labour can vary from car to car from 1 hour to 4 hours... probably the best way to get an independent appraisal is to get a quote from an AA garage (mostly to be found next to Halfords) and find out what their quoted labour time is. Their labour rate per hour is likely to be quite high but they will quote you a set time for your car, which you can then compare to that which your garage is quoting.
MGF cambelt - daryld
1. Phone manufacturer-ask them when belt should be changed (and tensioner pulley). Get this in writing.

2. Change belt according to what they say - at a franchised dealer.

3. If belt fails before it is changed then at least you have a case against the manufacturer/dealer. They will have no excuses.

I questioned three Seat dealers about belt chnage intervals on my car and only one of them gave me the right answer compared to what the manufacturer recommended to me (and they said every 40K or 5 years).
MGF cambelt - Doc
1. Phone manufacturer-ask them when belt should be changed (and
tensioner pulley). Get this in writing.
2. Change belt according to what they say - at a
franchised dealer.
3. If belt fails before it is changed then at least
you have a case against the manufacturer/dealer. They will have no
excuses.

I tried getting this recommendation in writing from Rover some time ago, but was unable to get any response.
As has been said, there is a tremendous amount about this subject on the forum; have a search.
MGF cambelt - Cyd
My understanding is that Rover now specify 5years or 60k for all engines. The receptionist is therefore correct, since you have passed 5 yrs.

There is loads and loads and loads and.......of discussion about cambelts on this forum. The upshot of it all is: DO NOT SKIMP ON HAVING IT CHANGED!