Rusting rear discs on 996s - honest john
Has anyone heard of rear discs on Porsche 911 996 models getting so rusty they are u/s after a year and 10,000 miles. I've got a punter screaming blue murder about this and a copy of a Porsche TSB warning dealers to expect rusty rear discs, but not to replace then FOC under warranty. I strongly suspect the reason is that the anchors are designed to stop the car from 177mph and consequently don't self clean if all they have to do is stop it from city speeds. But is anyone any the wiser? (The GT2 was supposed to have ceramic discs which obviously couldn't rust.)

HJ
Re: Rusting rear discs on 996s - Phil Garner
Too right HJ, I reckon loads of the 996's are just used to pose in, whereas older cars see plenty of track time, actually using the brakes. Motorway driving just isn't going to do it.

Ask on the 911 bulletin board at www.pelicanparts.com. Someone there will be able to help, I am sure.
Re: Rusting rear discs on 996s - Chris
Citroen BXs have the same problem. They have a system whereby the rear disks are given more work to do when the car is carrying load. Could the Porsche have a system that does the same thing? Since it's fundamentally a fast road car it could be going very fast indeed with four (uncomfortable) people aboard and will need more braking at the rear to balance it out - or am I thinking of the wrong Porsche? Tell him to sling a bag of cement in the boot.

Chris
Er, I meant where the back "seat" should be of course. Doh!

Chris
Re: Rusting rear discs on 996s - David Woollard
Chris,

I know I do try but you're pushing it a bit getting the BX on a Porsche thread in 3.

David
Oh, man. it was begging for it.

Chris
Re: Rusting rear discs on 996s - honest john
To Chris,

Yes, I did post it on the bulletin board at www.pelicanparts.com from the URL you kindly supplied in an earlier thread. Trouble is, how quick do American drivers drive their 996s? Maybe they are braked differently for the USA.

HJ