Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - grinnaslee

I have a ford focus Mk 2 2010, I have noticed water ingress into the boot and a water test has shown it to be from an inadequate roof seal.

Ford will not allow the repair work to be completed under warranty even though manufacurers defecs are covered, see below. I know water damage is not covered, though I do not require any repair due to water damage, only for the manufacturers defect to be rectified.

What’s covered

This covers the repair or replacement of any parts found to be defective due to manufacturing errors for one year – and then another two years with Ford Protect. Repairs will be carried out at Ford Authorised Dealers. Exclusions Damage caused by neglect, flooding, accident, rallying, racing or any other improper use Any suggestions, is a smals claims court viable.
Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - Armitage Shanks {p}

If it isn't a convertible, what is a roof seal?. If it is a convertible leaking roofs are a long-standing problem SFAIK

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=64463

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - daveyK_UK

OP

Have you been in contact with Ford via a dealer or direct to UK head office?

Not all dealers will be as helpful with pushing Ford for a solution.

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - bazza

Hello

Have recently been down this route, Ford tend to class this as trim and therefore not covered.

There are two usual places where water can get in around these areas, the first is underneath the roof strips/gutter trim and much more common, the tailgate hinge welds to the recess in the top of the roof. There is a tiny hairline opening around these, where inadequate sealant has been applied. Water finds its way in and collects in the boot. The cure is very simple and easy to do, just smear clear silicone sealant around the hinge welds right the way round. The roof gutter strips can also be easily removed ( they will peel off) and similarly, apply plenty of silicone sealant and press back into place.

It's an easy DIY fix that will save you the money and/or hassle of fighting to get it done!

The garage has confirmed the cause is a seal underneath the roof strips/gutter, I would argue this was not sealed properly in manufacture and it is a defect with the vehicle. The garage has quoted £250 for remedial work. The garage has called their ford rep twice to argue that the car is defective and the trim error is not wear and tear, I will contact ford directly today to discuss. If I do not recieve the work via Warranty then I will take the view that the car has been sold and is not fit for purpose as it leaks water and is just over 2 years old.

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - thunderbird

Ford class everything as trim after the end of the first years warranty expires. We tried to get new wheel nuts when the originals corroded. dealer said trim but after a discussion in a crowded showroom (service and sales shared the same area) they fitted new ones.

A colleague had the handbrake fail on his just before it was 3 yeasr old, the lever pulled out of the centre console. Dealer said the handbrake was trim and colleague just paid up about £400.

I really like the cars Ford offers but this attitude has put me off buying them, no Ford on the drive now.

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - madf

NO no no. The motoring journlaists say Ford are the best so it must be true.

Toyota according to them are rubbish.

(Of course if it was Toyota - or Honda - and you found such a leak, it would be fixed free pronto... but then you buy from Ford- a company who don't believe in customer service)

Okay,

I have contacted ford and stated that I am looking to have the work carried out under warranty, stating the issue is a "Manufacturing Defect", I should hear off them later today with a response. If I recieve a response of "sorry sir this is not covered by warranty" then i will take them to court for selling goods that are not fit for purpose. If I wanted a car that leaked water after two years, I would have bought a car with sunroof and left it open when it rained!

Thanks for all your comments.

Ford are still adimant that the trim is not covered under warranty, they will contact the dealer to determine if they can issue funds out of the goodwill pot, though I expect not because the car is not Serviced at Ford.

How can they get away with selling defective cars ?

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - bazza

Yes, agreed it's a very poor show, we also have 2 Toyotas in the family and the customer support is in a totally different league, they replaced the battery free of charge on a 7 year old car!

Good luck with your claim, it is quite a well known defect if you search the web.

Ford Focus 2011 - Ford Focus 2010-11 Water Leak from Roof Seal - BigJohnD

We had a similar Focus and the steering wheel leather (which was wafer thin) split and disintegrated. Just holding the steering wheel made your hands go black. After an hour or so they were filthy.

Similarly we had the wear'n'tear versus defective row with the dealer but got nowhere. (We made other warranty claims, mostly electrical, none of which were successful.)

Our local private garage run by an old boy - manufacturer qualifed but sick of the corporate mentality - managed to source some used parts and sorted it all at a good price.

Franchised dealers (not just Ford) do themselves no favours which such an unhelpful attitude - even worse when they say "they all do that, sir…"