Focus C-Max 1.6TDCI 2005 - Engine Management Light - Intermittent @ 70mph+!? - AP16

Hi Guys,

Had this C-max around a month or so now, and it's been absolutely fine to drive. A few small issues sorted out by my local garage, but nothing out of the ordinary for a car of this age.

Some background - it has a full service history, two female owners, with 90k on the clock.

Drove to Manchester at the weekend (from Norwich, a big trip!) and was looking forward to giving it a good run a) to prove all is ok, and b) get it to temperature to burn off all the crap that can build-up when driving too many short journeys.

All was totally fine, until I gave it some beans up a hill to reach 70mph, and as the car settled to coast at 75mph, the EML came on with 'Engine Systems Fault'. At the next roundabout, I came to a stand-still, turned the ignition off and on, and it was fine for the rest of the 4 hour journey.

On the way back, all was fine until I stopped, re-fuelled, and 5 mins down the road as I hit 70mph or so again, it did it again.

There seems to be no coughing, spluttering etc.. that would usually be associated with an EML, it just comes on and goes into safety mode. Once the car is re-started, it disappears and drives absolutely normally for the remaining 2-3 hours of the journey.

One of my mates reckons it could be the EGR getting stuck, and so just needs a clean out - apart from plugging it in (which costs a bomb at Ford), any ideas what may be causing it?

I did think injectors... but the car does not miss a beat under load, and turbo etc.. all been very well looked after.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Focus C-Max 1.6TDCI 2005 - Engine Management Light - Intermittent @ 70mph+!? - baitman

the quickest and easiest option is to stick a bottle of Forte diesel treatment in the tank [maybe with only half a tank of fuel] and run that through. also look at cleaning out the egr, the amount of gunk that accumulates there is unbelievable. an egr blanking plate will cost £4 and well worth doing while you have it all apart.

i cleaned my egr, then ran the forte through it, then ordered and fitted the blanking plate the following week [only a five minute job].

good luck, and let us know how you get on.