Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - domski74
Hi All

Just bought a car that came with quote "main dealer service history". It has high mileage but was a bargain, so when I get home and check the service book it has stamps for every year but none of them have Cambelt ticked. It probably should have and 2 by now given the mileage. So my question is where do I stand with the car dealer if the Cambelt needs replacing?

Thanks

Dom
Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - tony g
I think the word FULL service history is probably is the dealers get out .

Having said that why not check with the relevant service departments to see if the cambelt has been done .
I've asked the dealer to check. They're sorting out a couple of small issues with the car anyway, just wanted to know what I might say if they turn round and say the Cambelt hasn't been done. Thsnks
Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - Armitage Shanks {p}

A stamped and ticked service book is meaningless without matching dated invoices for parts and labour, IMO. What does tonyg think? He knows a lot about this sort of thing

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/03/2013 at 19:12

Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - RT

With a pedants hat on - you've got the history so no misrepresentation on that score and the term "service history" doesn't imply that everything has been done properly.

There does seem to be a prevalence of posts from unhappy owners simply omitting to check readily available information that should have been checked before deciding to purchase.

I'm getting an increasing sense of sympathy for dealers !!

Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - veloster

why do people buy first and check later,its the other way round check first buy later

Just too trusting I guess. Haven't bought a car in years.
Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - thunderbird

When will people realise that a cam belt change is not part of a standard service schedule, every manufacturer classes it as additional work since they are normally changed at intervals of (as an example) 100,000miles or 10 years. Because of this you cannot specify which service it will be replaced at.

As has been stated above never trust a dealer and never just look at the service book. I alwys keep the receipts and pass them on when ever iI sell or PX a car.

Skoda Octavia VRS - Car sold with "main dealer service history" - RT

since they are normally changed at intervals of (as an example) 100,000miles or 10 years. Because of this you cannot specify which service it will be replaced at.

That's not logical - a number of items, including oil and filter are on time or mileage, whichever first and they're part of a service.

My own car requires oil/filter at 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever first and the cabin filter is 20,000 miles or 2 years, whichever first - like everyone I expect the dealer to know which tasks to carry out.