Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - DaveJK
Hi
New to this so hello to all and sorry if I ask some stupid questions. Anyway here goes;
Bought a diesel civic 2.2 last September. Done about 4500 miles. The oil is black. Previous petrol Hondas still had cleanish oil when the recommended services were done. Realise that diesel is relatively dirty stuff but surprised how quickly it appears to have become contaminated.
Question is should I have the oil changed at about 6000 miles? Understand that some cars should be left to "bed in". Intending to keep it for a while so will it be a worthwhile investment?
Thanks in advance
Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - craig-pd130

Did you buy the car brand new? Don't worry, the engine oil in diesels goes black in under 1000 miles because of the sooty combustion by-products. Diesel-spec oil has additional detergents and additives to cope with this.

Just stick with the manufacturer's recommended service intervals and it should be fine. Most manufacturers recommend oil changes on an annual or mileage basis, whichever comes first.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - Peter.N.

While I agree with the above I would suggest changing the oil more frequently than the guide suggests if its 12,000 miles or more, I am sure that many problems, particularly turbo failure on modern diesels are due to the extended oil change intervals.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - gordonbennet

Agree with PeterN's post completely.

My 3 litre Hilux was the cleanest Diesel i've ever known, took around 1500 miles before the oil started to soot up, very efficient engine drainage too as that continued with subsequent servicing.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - injection doc

agree completely, double the oil changed intervals ! they are only stretched to make attractive to lease companies & they dont worry what happens when they have done 60K

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - focussed

I've got one, It depends how many miles you are doing, the spec is oil and filter change every 12500 miles or every 12 months. If you are doing a lot of short runs of less than 5-6 miles by all means have the oil changed more frequently - read the service book for guidance.

Make sure that the correct 5-30 or 0-30 fully synthetic oil is used, do not, repeat, do not, use semi-synthetic oil. The 0-30 oil is recommended by Honda for better fuel economy, mine is on 0-30 at the moment but makes no noticeable difference to the fuel consumption so I will go back to using 5-30 as it is cheaper and more readily available.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - boggles

Both our cars(Focus diesel, and Freelander2) run on the same 5w-30 oil. It's Ford Formula "F", and full synthetic. It is available all over the place for about 25 pounds per 5 litres, or less. So a 6 monthly oil and filter change is cheap enough. I think the latest Fords have to run on this to maintain warranty. Good for petrol and diesel units.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - balleballe

The older "E" formula which was/is used in the Mazda/Ford/Volvo petrols was a semi-synthetic are made by Castrol.

Chances are the "F" is too

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - jc2

Ford Formula E is not semi-synthetic but PART synthetic and is made by Texaco.Castrol (and Duckhams) are part of BP.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - balleballe

I had my oil changed at a ford dealership and the chap said it was Castrol that made it. He could have been telling porkies, but what would he have to gain?

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - jc2

Our local Ford dealer does not use Ford oil unless specially requested.He can get bulk supplies from a different supplier(obviously cheaper).As long as it meets the Ford specification,there is no problem.Castrol is BP.Ford have little or no control over their dealers-they don't even have to fit Ford parts(as long as the dealer offers a guarantee on the part) The only exception are the Ford owned dealers(Dagenham Motors,Bristol Street,Polar group)-the vast majority are not owned or controlled by Ford.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - Cyd

So the Honda 2.2D is spec'd for a 0W30 then? My Saab Aero 2.0T (that's petrol) is too. it's a hard grade to find. Even the Saab dealers only sell 5W30. I get my 0W30 from Motaquip, which i believe is Millers (you could try opie oils). On the positive side, that grade is only available as a fully synthetic afaik.

To answer your basic question, as it's your own car and you are likely to keep it a while, yes change the oil and filter twice a year (at least).

I have had my Saab 2 years exactly now and am about to carry out it's 5th oil change in that time (11k miles). It had 41k when I bought it and had 3 annual changes in the book. I intend to keep it at least 10 years and since HJ reckons these engines are prone to sludging the cam chain oilways, I wish to prevent that problem happening. I've also just changed the gearbox oil for Redline MTL.

I persued a similar policy with my last car, a 96 Rover 800 Vitesse (the 200PS version). I had it 11 years and sold it to an enthusiast from the club with 167k on the clock. Totaly original and never missed a beat. These cars were prone to chewing gearboxes (the PG1) and I had mine rebuilt at 90k. Then ran the 'box with Torco RTF, changed every 30k - never so much as a rattle in nearly 80k.

Oh, and I drive hard. Very hard sometimes. I don't drive a 260 horse car to pootle round in! Coming from a manufacturing based background, I'm fully enrolled in TPM (Total Preventative Maintenance).

Long oil change intervals are for the lease fleets. i know this from a background of 20 years as an R&D professional at a Midlands Premium vehicle manufacturer.

Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel - Oil change for Diesel Honda Civic - DaveJK
Many thanks for your help. Looks like change at 6000miles will be advisable