BMW 630i Sport Convertible - Sell or Retain BM630i - Canvassing opinions - tonyshepp

Hi,

I'm In the lucky position to be having delivered a new Mercedes SL350 for a bargain personal contract price of £1800 down and £600 (includes VAT) a month for 2 years and 10k miles a year. Seems too good to be true but it isnt as the dealership hasn't sold enough cars to make their bonus this quarter.

The dilema I have is that I own a low mileage (owned fron new) BM630i sport convertible on a 2007 plate which is immaculate, always serviced by BMW and runs like a dream.

I think the car to sell privately is around 14-15K with Webuyany car offering around 13K.

If i kept the car for a further two years how much money would I lose 4-5k, more, bearing in mind that the car depriciated over 35K in the 6 years I have had it?

I'm thinking of keeping it long term as I have always enjoyed it but the Merc SL was an impulse deal.

Edited by tonyshepp on 21/03/2013 at 10:03

BMW 630i Sport Convertible - Sell or Retain BM630i - Canvassing opinions - Collos25

I assume its petrol, I would take the money and invest it if you look on autotrader there are some very cheap examples at the moment and the trend will always be downwards.

Both lovely cars though.

BMW 630i Sport Convertible - Sell or Retain BM630i - Canvassing opinions - tonyshepp

Thanks for the reply, you are right the trend is always downward.Ii seem to be one of those people who always regrets having to sell the cars they have owned, must be sentimental of me.

BMW 630i Sport Convertible - Sell or Retain BM630i - Canvassing opinions - gordonbennet

Nice car and in your shoes i'd be driving the BM and not leased the MB, but we do these things...;)

Firstly is the BMW in the top VED £470 band?, if it is then every year it ages the VED (increasing year on year) becomes a proportionally higher part of the cars value each year as standing charges, if that makes any sense, it may cause a steep spiralling diminshing of value as it ages.

Course that doesn't matter a jot if you intend to keep the car indefinately, and if its in the £270 band ignore my diatribe..;)

I've effectively ruled out any used car in the highest VED bands unless bought so cheap that i can effectively write off the cost over X years, but thats only me as i detest the dick turpin tax grab camouflaged under a green smoke screen, others may feel differently.

BMW 630i Sport Convertible - Sell or Retain BM630i - Canvassing opinions - barney100
Nice problem! I prefer the MB anyway but financially holding on the the BMW will be a hit on depreciation,tax etc. I would sell the car and invest the cash then when the time comes get a different one.

Unfortunately top banding, before the face change, so £470 a year. Can't believe the merc is only £215 a year.

To be honest the BM is a lovely car it has always made me feel special when I have driven it but the offer on the Merc to me looks good. I hadn't considered the effect road tax would have on used prices and you are correct the 57 plates had more efficient water pumps which reduced CO2 to I think around £215 a year so mines double than and a bit more. I'd guess you could say if I wanted a 630i I'd buy a later one for not much more and save on road tax.

So point taken.