Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - A3 A4

I note that Asda has a synthetic 5w/30 oil for just £20.

looking to do 6 monthly oil changes on my wife's 2004 73k A3 1.6, to try and keep it going for as long as possible.

Would it be false ecconomy or would I be better off going for Castrol Edge yearly? On average the car does a couple of short journies of just 10 miles per day.

Thanks for any advice!

Anyone taken a punt on Asda oil?

Edited by A3 A4 on 20/03/2013 at 18:01

Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - Peter D

What is the spec of the Asda Oil. It is not just the viscosity that is important. Regards Peter

Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - A3 A4

It doesn't state VAG 507, but I thought that was more pertinent to the VAG diesel PD engines.

The spec given is SaE 5W30: API SM/CF ACEA C3, Low SAPS/Low ash. Which means little to me!

Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - Peter.N.

Te 'CF' is probably the telling one, have a look in your handbook and see what it reccomends.

Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - TeeCee

I fail to understand why anyone would take on the task of changing oil more frequently, with the alleged idea of making the thing last longer and then try to penny-pinch on the oil used!

Audi A3 8P 1.6 (BGU) - Asda 5w/30 OK For Frequent Oil Changes - thunderbird

Asda don't make oil, it will probably be made by Comma or Carlube who tend to make oil to be rebranded as the buyer dictates, Comma make all the Halfords oils.

There will be absolutely nothing worng with the Asda oil the OP mentioned, in fact its the exaxt spec that is needed for our Kia Ceed CRDi with DPF, at £20 I might get some.

But if it does not give the VW spec on it I would be very careful. It would probably be fine but some VW engines have been very troublesome to say the least and a few quid saved on oil could end up costing a fortune.