Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - retgwte

So pulled off junction 11 of the M4 to eat at the Madejski hotel on spec since I was passing, as I often have in the past. Had an irritable child in the back. No signs to warn me to keep away.

Quickly got caught up in about 4 hours of traffic jams. Cars forced down routes with no choice whatsoever. Many roads shut. Many roads shut at the end after no warning at the other end where you entered. No directions for any sensible route back out of the chaos.

Badly or untrained security guards acting as a local militia, arrogantly bossing pedestrians and drivers around, directing traffic in very dangerous ways. And driving dangerously around way above the speed limit (with many pedestrians around) with their amber lights flashing as if they were an emergency service.

When I told one of these security guards in no uncertain terms how unimpressed I was with his traffic direction skills I asked him on what authority he had to stop cars on a road since he was clearly not a police officer. He replied, “it’s a private road” (maybe but I doubt this gives him the powers he thinks it does). I let it pass. But noted also that the A33 had similar security guards stopping and redirecting traffic, I doubt that’s a “private road” by anyone’s definition. Like a banana republic have we really come to this? Idiotic dangerous traffic direction from thugs in security outfits.

As someone who innocently got stuck in hours of traffic jams, in places where emergency services would clearly have not been able to get to us if anyone in cars similarly stuck were in trouble, with routes shut for no real reason to support the event they were running, trapping us in artificial dead ends. With a thirsty carsick child in the back.

Shambles Mr Madejski and the powers that be in Reading really need bringing to book. These clowns should be done for obstruction, false arrest, impersonating a police officer, and so much more. Dangerous ill thought through nonsense that really shouldn’t be allowed.

Have we really degenerated into such a tin pot banana republic that all semblance of normal life is disrupted by organised thugs in security outfits in the name of a bloomin running competition?

Give me strength.

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - Bromptonaut

Sort of similar issue in 2007 when the Tour de France started in London.

We were in Whitehall, by the Wales Office. Sent daughter, then 14, of to use the public loos down by the river. Stewards, with limted English, would not allow her to retrace her route. Insisted she went up to Traflagar Sq and round two sides of a triangle.

Fortuntely, the Olympics worked better.

just checked and apparently Mr Madejski is now a sir... seems he has set up his own little independant state with its own army or police force and is able to terrorise ordinary British citizens like me... really these clowns need making an example of its outrageous that they can operate like this in a supposedly free country

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - Ed V

Has this anything to do with Sir John Majdeski, apart from the race finishing near the ground played in by a football team that he used to own??

The event has been going for 30 years.

Certainly time enough to have learned place large warning signs around and on the M4 to allow those unconnected with it to avoid delays.

Suggest you write via email to the Reading Post or Chronicle.

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - Collos25

I would think they did not have this event off the cuff ,many weeks of planning must have gone on before with signposts and detours clearly marked well in advance, it was only part of Reading not the whole of the UK.

Re "Has this anything to do with Sir John Majdeski" he has been on the tv praising it, it would appear from that coverage he is something to do with organising it, the hotel i was trying to visit is named after him and probably owned by him? the press in reading are probably subject to group think and joyously praising this shambles. re "it was only part of Reading not the whole of the UK" as far as im concerned effectively tightly restricing my movements and stopping a yound child from eating/drinking/getting changed is not on. even if they had signposted it (which they had not) they over stepped several marks. and thames vally police are very misguided letting them operate as an alternate police force without the normal checks, balances, and training. really not on. i was expecting more sympathy from folk here, maybe it needs to happen to you to realise how outrageous it is.

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - Ed V

I'm cetainly sympathetic to your plight but...............

I think we know that closing roads for events, getting the co-operation of the authorities and so on is a complete nightmare of cajoling, begging, planning meetings, health & safety ad infinitum, etc etc..............

so my guess is that it was signed and you missed them!

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - oldtoffee

>>>>even if they had signposted it (which they had not)

I think you could be mistaken. I've been to Reading twice in the last four weeks to purchase and have installed some car hifi upgrades. My journey involved comng off at J11, driving a few hundred yards on the A33 and soon turning off on to the Basingstoke Road. I definitely saw signs for the half marathon somewhere en route as it brought back vivid memories of 1985 or 1986. It was my first ever half marathon and had a ba****d of a hill near the end that did for me.

yes but i had not been in the area in the previous weeks. i had not seen any publicity. i was driving off junction 11 that day on impluse to give my trade to one of the businesses there. and did not see any indication that the whole area was under martial law with thugs in charge or any other signs indicating that perhaps i should keep away until it was way too late. and all of the normal exits were shut once it became obvious.

i have seen similar marathons and events all around the country (i travel round this land a lot) and they are normally handled ok, with a few notable exceptions in the coventry marathon (or half marathon is it?), sunderland airshow, and southend airshows being particularly bad, but reading have beaten all that competition to win hands down in the maximum hassle to innocent people award.

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - Collos25

In a crowded island like the UK these things are bound to happen to most people at some time most people would put it down to experience and get on with life.

Reading Half Marathon Yesterday Traffic Chaos - RT

I find the same problem if I dare venture out into the rush hour - all those people trying to get to work and impeding my progress - shouldn't be allowed especially as all trips are ;leisure trips now I'm retired.

There are several towns and cities where you'll get the same sort of unannounced congestion every time they remodel a junction - and then find it impedes traffic flow but takes months or years to find a solution.