Petrol or Diesel? - tjbantam

Evening all.

I have a question which is puzzling me.

I currently have a Honda Civic 2.2 i-cdti but will be looking at some point to change.

I would prefer a car with an automatic gearbox and preferably diesel for better economy (depreciation not much of an issue as i will be looking for a car about 2-3 years old) but most diesels now have a dpf as standard which can get clogged.

Most days i have a 22 mile round trip to work on a mix of roads (dual carriage way then 30mph through a village followed by 60mph single carriageway roads before a short spell in 30mph to the town centre and reverse on way home) and traffic jams not usually much of an issue but would this drive be enough to prevent a clogged dpf?

Every second sunday we have a 35 mile drive to the wife's family, bit of shopping and 35 miles back home. The trips to and from family involves a good 25 mins of motorway driving. This would help, right?

Any advice gratefully received.

Petrol or Diesel? - jamie745

My maths makes that little over 7,000 miles a year. Many will probably tell you a diesel would blow up on such a low mileage but that's not true and really your sort of driving should mean it's fine but personally I'd be going for something petrol powered as it'll hardly go anywhere anyway.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/03/2013 at 23:41

Many thanks.

Downside is i can't get the Citroen Berlingo Multispace out of my head (i know it's funny looking and french, but nothing makes me smile more!) and the auto is only an option with the diesel engine.

Petrol or Diesel? - Ethan Edwards

Used Prius. Petrol auto with diesel MPG.

Only issue is the Prius' i see on Auto Trader are either out of my price range or have covered astronimical mileages.

I do like the Prius and the Auris though. And Toyota are very reliable i hear?
Petrol or Diesel? - Avant

With the sort of driving that you've described, I don't think you'll have a problem with a DPF clogging, But even at 2 to 3 years old a diesel may still cost more to buy than the equivalent petrol, so may not be worthwhile.

Also with some diesels the droning noise they make with an automatic gearbox can get on your nerves: avoid the Mercedes A- and B-class diesel automatics on this score.

Petrol or Diesel? - Collos25

Buy a Honda Insight superb hybrid.

Petrol or Diesel? - daveyjp
I can only assume Honda have made vast improvements over the one I drove about 5 years ago. It was truly dreadful, to the point of being dangerous to drive. A hybrid on the cheap.

With economical diesel autos come potentially expensive gearboxes as to be economical most have a DSG, auto clutch arrangement, rather than a torque converter.
What puts me off is the styling, but as a 2007 Civic driver, the reliability, rideand build quality has put me off Honda's.

Does the Insight also have no headroom like the Civic does?
A Merc is definitely not for me. The droning i don't mind.
At the mo, the Berlingo is top of my shortlist as used prices are good, the space inside is incredible and it appeals to me like no other car.

The Prius and Auris hybrids appeal due to economy and no dpf but unless i go for one thats done 100k or more, it's a bit out of my price range.

I also like the Golf, Octavia, Seat Altea and Yeti but that means a DSG box which i've heard is not the most user friendly and can be unreliable.
Petrol or Diesel? - balleballe

I'm also looking around for a diesel auto.

Seems the only reliable autobox diesel cars are made by Honda (accord), BMW or Merc

I'd avoid the DSG box mate - they dont seem to last long

Petrol or Diesel? - RT

Torque converter + planetary gears is the long established type of automatic, expensive to repair but rarely ever necessary - not that any other form of transmission is any cheaper to rebuild in practice anyway.

All the other forms of automatic, eg CVT, DSG, automated manual, are short on history and a number a proving troublesome.

You can have reliable autobox or economic autobox - it's your choice.

As far as front-wheel drive conventional automatics go, I'd avoid the Jatco autobox fitted to Nissan and Renault and used to be fitted to Ford, Peugeot and Citroen but replaced recently by the ubiquitous Aisin autobox which is used by nearly everyone else except Honda and Subaru - Aisin is part-owned by Toyota. In particular the Jatco isn't good at handling a diesel's high torque.

Edited by RT on 20/03/2013 at 11:29

Petrol or Diesel? - Mike H
At the mo, the Berlingo is top of my shortlist as used prices are good, the space inside is incredible and it appeals to me like no other car.

But try before you buy. My father has a Peugeot Partner with the 1.6 HDi 90 diesel, albeit manual. I find it quite unpleasant to drive - too much body roll, ludicrously sensitive front brakes, sit up & beg driving position. Lots of clonking from the suspension, as though every bush is worn - at 14,000 miles! I agree with your comments about space etc. however, and I have to say it's OK on the motorway. Just not my cup of tea really.

Perhaps it's just me, my daily drive is a Saab 9-5 Aero estate, quite a different kettle of fish!

Petrol or Diesel? - Ed V

Why would oyu want a Berlingo rather than a Jazz??

Petrol or Diesel? - mss1tw

Because Berlingos are for winners

Much prefer Jazz especially Buddy Rich big band I have never heard Berlingo.

Petrol or Diesel? - madf

Berlingos are for OAPs who find a Honda Jazz too exciting.

Berlingos are for OAPs who find a Honda Jazz too exciting.

Yeah those too. But mostly winners.

Winners of what ~ a crossword competition.

Haven't got a cross word to say about my Berlingo ;-)

Effective cheap reliable trade transport.

I have two wheeled alternatives for fun...

Jazz is too small.

Petrol or Diesel? - jamie745

The Berlingo and Kangoo make very good wheelchair accessible vehicles. Aside from that or the desire to have an occasional van I can't see why you'd buy one.

Petrol or Diesel? - SteveLee

I'd rather have a Berlingo - the ride quality in the Jazz is bone-shaking.

Petrol or Diesel? - madf

I'd rather have a Berlingo - the ride quality in the Jazz is bone-shaking.

Not the latest one.. Which year did you last travel in one and which model?