Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - divadee007
My husband is buying a brand new supermini size car (please no comments about not buying new he wants new and won't be shifted at all) we had a 2007 grande punto diesel (1.3 multijet) until 2010 and currently have a Mazda 2 (which we hate and want to get rid of).

We are looking round and round but can't seem to make a decision. We now have a short list (not so short!!)

Suzuki swift 1.2 sz4 (petrol)
Suzuki swift 1.3 ddis (diesel)
Vw polo bluemotion 1.2 (diesel)
Vw polo match (diesel)
Fiat punto easy 1.3 multijet (diesel)
Fiat punto lounge 1.3 multijet (diesel)
Skoda fabia greenline 1.2 (diesel)

Our budget is approx £12-13k which we can get the above for from online brokers (ie broadspeed or drive the deal), might try what local dealers can offer as well.

Has anyone got any of these cars? We drive approx 8-10k miles a year a mix or local and duel carriageway/motorway. My commute is 20 mins of motorway driving 5 days a week.

My husband really wants a diesel as he absolutely loved the punto diesel we had (and never should of got rid of).

Please help!!
Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - daveyjp
You still want your Punto, a Punto is on your list again. Looks like an obvious choice to me.

I would add you can get a Fabia 1.2 petrol for £8500 at the moment with 2 years servicing included.
Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - divadee007
I liked the punto, hubby loved it. But the swift keeps popping out at me. 4 friends have the swift and really rate them but unsure between the diesel or petrol. Not that much in the mpg and on broadspeed the price is exactly the same so it's just the trim level different between the petrol and diesel.
Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - daveyjp
Only way to decide is to drive one. My wife has just changed an Aygo and wanted something a little larger which meant a supermini.

We considered Fiesta, Polo, Yaris, various Suzukis inc the Swift, Fabia, Fiat 500.

Fiesta had bad rear visbility and poor basic spec.
Polo and Yaris were expensive
Suzuki have a relationship with Vauxhall which put her off
Fabia was poverty spec
Fiat 500 expensive and too small

In the end she chose a 12 month old Hyundai i20 as it felt right to her and it had plenty of kit for very little money. She also saved on her insurance.
Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - Avant

It would be interesting to know why you don't like your Mazda 2: you don't hear many bad things about them.

Most diesels cost £1,000 more than the equivalent petrol. If you prefer the diesel to drive, then fine; but financially it usually makes sense only if you do a higher mileage. But as Daveyjp says, you have to try them out. Try to get a good long test drive, not just round the block - and don't assume that if you like the petrol you'll like the dlesel, and vice versa. Different engines in the same model of car can be quite different to drive.

Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - daveyK_UK

The Punto is OK, nice to drive.

Swift, polo, fabia or punto - Which 5dr supermini brand new and pref diesel - genesis750

The Punto is OK, nice to drive.

No its not> i have been driving a hire Punto for a week and 500miles and it is astonishing that a car as badly designed / thought out as this can be let loose in today's market. I am 50, drive approx 30,000 a year, past cars include alfasud, fabia, BX, Austin 1300, and FIAT 126 and for its era this Punto is the worst car.