Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - RT

I need a 7-seat SUV - the Disco 4 has more off-road capability than I need - the BMW X5 doesn't have enough - what comes in between?

I've looked at 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe but it's rather low to the ground and 3rd-row access needs a contortionist - I've heard stories of VAG dealers who advise Touareg and Q7 owners not to go off-road at all - old-school SUVs like the Landcruiser LC don't handle well enough on tarmac for me.

There's plenty of choice in between the 2 extremes for 5-seaters, but not for 7-seats.

I've deliberately not identified a budget because I believe in functional specification more than spending up to a budget - but the new Range Rover is too expensive !

Back Roomers opinions welcome.

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - Avant

An interesting question that made me look in the What Car tables.

Toyota Land Cruiser?

Volvo XC90?

Mitsubishi Shogun?

I should think that the majority of Disco owners don't use its off-road capacity except when mounting the kerb outside the school - so you've nothing to be ashamed of in choosing it. I haven't driven any of the others I mention, but I'd imagine that the Disco is better to drive than any of them.

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - unthrottled

Unlike most SUVs, the majority of Land Rovers spend most of their lives offroad...

...in the workshop!

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - madf

Unlike most SUVs, the majority of Land Rovers spend most of their lives offroad...

...in the workshop!

How true..

Neighbour of mine woirks for a private company which buys 20-30 Land/Range Rovers at a time for company cars. He told me he regualrly returns one to the dealers - after delvered as new to them - for a range of faults to be fixed. Not one fault - but a range of them.

I belive the owners are getting a bit fed up with th unreliability.

It's a thread about capability - not reliability.

With hindsight - I should have asked the question about BMW X5 but with more off-road capability.

I did forget the XC90 so thank's for the heads up on that - probably best to wait and see how the new version turns out.

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - Happy Blue!

Why not put better tyres on an X5?

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - gordonbennet

Why not put better tyres on an X5?

Excellent idea, a perusal on Youtube will soon find videos of X5's and the like shod with proper tyres getting serious in the mud and snow, the elastic bands fitted to UK versions are all but useless.

Landcruiser Amazon V8 Diesel might be worth investigating.

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - Collos25

The X5 always wins the annual snow challenge in Germany another one is the Mercedes G wagon .

What about rutted farm tracks ?

Any - LR Discovery 4 - alternatives? - Collos25

I do not think that they do a rutted farm track competition but I will check,are you sure a tractor is not more in your line you could always put the extra passengers in a trailor.

I just want a car that'll do everything my Subaru Outback did but with 7-seats.

There must be others that need something better than a soft-roader off-road but better than a Defender on-road - it's just a matter of compromise.