Ford - Powershift all bad? - JadeT

We're looking at getting a 7 seater automatic MPV and I was considering the S Max or Grand C Max but obviously Google has horror stories about the Powershift transmission. Just wondering whether there are any versions that are more reliable, or whether people say it's a blanket no to all. I would only be buying a vehicle with a service history with receipts, and I've had DSGs for years with no issues so am well versed in the importance of maintenance schedules for "problematic" gearboxes. Obviously the risk is not knowing what's come before - would there be recommendations on what to look for in test drives?

We're a family of 5 and often need space for friends/family, and I'm restricted by an automatic license so no real leeway on the requirements (I dislike SUV types). I was originally looking at the Touran and the C4 Spacetourer but have seen a few Fords that looked decent nearby. If it's a definite no to Powershift in all cases then I'll stick with leaning towards the Citroen, which no doubt has its own problems.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - Adampr

As I understand it, the 7 speed is a wet clutch gearbox and the 6 speed is a dry clutch. Wet clutches are generally considered more reliable and it was the 6 speed that initially gained infamy, so I guess you should be looking for something with 7 gears.

As for testing them, I recently sold a DSG and the purchaser (a Skoda dealer) subjected it to very hard acceleration to test the kickdown. I would suggest, therefore, that's an industry standard check. I don't think it would tell you much about the state of the clutches, but is probably checking that the mechateonic works OK.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - SLO76
Not one I’d risk myself, there are just too many horror stories relating to this gearbox. Ford never could make it 100% and eventually gave up, returning instead to a conventional torque converter transmission instead.

If you either of these cars then I’d only recommend a manual. If that’s not an option for some reason then you need to factor in the risk of gearbox failure into you finances. Depending on where you buy it and how much you plan on spending most aftermarket warranties won’t look at covering the cost of a gearbox replacement, only an approved used Ford policy would be worth the cost. The C-max is also best avoided with the now notorious wet belt 1.0 Ecoboom engine also.

The Citroen is available with a 1.2 turbocharged petrol which has a bad reputation for timing belt failures too, the 1.6 diesels are known for turbo failures and the single clutch automated manual in certain models is horrid to drive. Not one I’d go for either.

We looked at people carriers when shopping recently but finding one that is likely to prove reliable wasn’t possible so we went for a Merc estate auto instead, hopefully it lasts.

Thanks, the 1.6 diesel is the one we looked at because of the MPG and cheaper tax. I'll be a cash buyer and always put a bit of money away a month to cover emergency car/house repairs anyway, so would probably just up those payments for the first few months with a new car anticipating potential unknown problems.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - badbusdriver

Thanks, the 1.6 diesel is the one we looked at because of the MPG and cheaper tax. I'll be a cash buyer and always put a bit of money away a month to cover emergency car/house repairs anyway, so would probably just up those payments for the first few months with a new car anticipating potential unknown problems.

It isn't wise to be looking at diesel unless your mileage and usage dictates. That means ideally 12k+ per annum, but certainly regular longer runs to keep the DPF in good health*. This is important because if the DPF fails, it is big money to replace, much more than any savings you are likely to make through better mpg and lower tax. In addition, service and most other engine related repair/replacement costs will be higher (injectors, fuel pump etc). And the older the car you are looking at, the greater the risk.

*But even if you do the mileage and usage to keep the DPF healthy, there is no way of knowing what kind of usage it has had from previous owners, so you could be buying something who's DPF is about to fail. And as the DPF isn't covered under a new car warranty, highly unlikely that it will on a second hand car with an aftermarket one!

Edited by badbusdriver on 21/05/2024 at 20:14

Ford - Powershift all bad? - JonestHon

It isn't wise to be looking at diesel unless your mileage and usage dictates. That means ideally 12k+ per annum, but certainly regular longer runs to keep the DPF in good health*. This is important because if the DPF fails, it is big money to replace, much more than any savings you are likely to make through better mpg and lower tax. In addition, service and most other engine related repair/replacement costs will be higher (injectors, fuel pump etc). And the older the car you are looking at, the greater the risk.

*But even if you do the mileage and usage to keep the DPF healthy, there is no way of knowing what kind of usage it has had from previous owners, so you could be buying something who's DPF is about to fail. And as the DPF isn't covered under a new car warranty, highly unlikely that it will on a second hand car with an aftermarket one!

Thanks BD, do you know if the PPF in VAG'S (and I suppose other makes) is problemstic with short trips as it's Diesel opposite number?

Ford - Powershift all bad? - badbusdriver

Thanks BD, do you know if the PPF in VAG'S (and I suppose other makes) is problemstic with short trips as it's Diesel opposite number?

Not sure I'm afraid.

But I seem to remember someone (skidpan maybe?) saying PPF's are not quite the same as DPF's. I think it might have been that they burn at a lower temperature and maybe also that they don't require as long a burn. If that is the case, I'd expect them to be less likely to give bother.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - Big John

But I seem to remember someone (skidpan maybe?) saying PPF's are not quite the same as DPF's. I think it might have been that they burn at a lower temperature and maybe also that they don't require as long a burn. If that is the case, I'd expect them to be less likely to give bother.

Petrol combustion engines actually have hotter exhaust gases so Petrol Particulate Filters (be it PPF,OPF, GPF) can regenerate passively, usually on the overrun.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - FiestaOwner

Not sure I'm afraid.

My 2019 Ibiza 1.0TSi has a PPF and is now has over 70,000 miles on it. The PPF has never been an issue. I do a 27 mile each way commute 5 days a week, so the engine does get properly warmed up on every run. However, I've never heard a VAG car having a problem with the PPF

The only car I remember seeing these issues reported with is the Hyundai i30 GDi.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/133523/hyundai-i30...i

Yeah we always buy diesels as my commute is 80 miles 3 days a week, plus weekends ferrying to fixtures all around the place, and visiting in laws 200 miles away. The fewest I've ever done in a year is 9k and that was lockdown. We've only ever bought second hand, and pretty much always diesels so always quite aware of that side of things.

What sort of budget are we talking here? Where roughly will you be looking?

Roughly £12k, although as with everyone the lower the better of course. Ideally within about 90 minutes of Bristol. We're in the early stages of looking so happy to just keep an eye out on Autotrader etc until something suitable turns up.

Deleted as I’m and i**** and didn’t read the OP’s original post properly.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/05/2024 at 23:53

Tell the friends to catch the bus. A petrol Toyota Auris, Mazda 6 or Honda Civic estate would be hugely more dependable and much cheaper to run than a Ford Galaxy/C-Max/S-Max Powershift auto.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404138620287

Haha I would love to, unfortunately even if we didn't need a 7 seater, we still need something with full seats in the back for the children, and room for plenty of luggage as we drive to Europe for holidays.

Ford - Powershift all bad? - shauncwalsh

For that money you could get a 2018 Zafira Tourer petrol auto or an older diesel. 7 seats and plenty of room inside. The gearbox is a 6 speed torque converter I believe.

Edited by shauncwalsh on 22/05/2024 at 07:39

Yes it's the sensible option I know, we used to have a Zafira when the children were younger and I just have a slightly irrational hatred of them!

Ford - Powershift all bad? - Adampr

Save up for a Dacia Jogger hybrid?

That would really be ideal for us, just need them to come down a bit more in the used market unfortunately!

Ford - Powershift all bad? - artill

I have some friends who were in a very similar position to you. The ended up with a Toyota Verso, and remain very happy with it. They are quite thin on the ground, and many get bought by Taxi drivers around here, but it might be something you haven't thought of. Of course its Petrol not Diesel, and the auto is a CVT but not bad on economy, and being a Toyota, no real reliability worries, and the 10 year warranty from Toyota if you have it dealer serviced.

Thank you, this was definitely one on my list along with the Kia Carbs, the cabin space seemed a bit smaller thought I'm hoping to test drive a few different options and see what's out there when I'm closer to buying in a month or two anyway.

We considered the Zafira too, but sadly while the gearbox is of a robust design the engines aren’t. The diesels are a Fiat design and prone to plenty of woe as they age and the 1.4 petrol turbo isn’t proving much more robust. There’s are good reasons why the taxi trade don't touch these as a general rule while they did like the previous gen Zafira with the noisy but tough Isuzu 1.7 diesel. I didn’t buy one and wouldn’t rush to recommend one.

It is honestly a tough thing to shop for is a large family MPV especially if you want an automatic box.
Ford - Powershift all bad? - shauncwalsh

The Zafira Tourer has the option of the 1.6 litre Whisper Diesel. As long as they get regular oil changes they are pretty robust but if you go for extended oil change intervals the timing tensioner/chain can give problems. The 1.4 petrol engine is the indirect injection engine not the GDI version which can suffer from low speed preignition. The 2 litre diesel is a derivative of the 1.9 litre Fiat Multijet engine that gave so much trouble in the Zafira B, not sure how reliable they are now. We have a Zafira B with the 1.7 Isuzu derived engine which gives 50mpg and has only needed a new EGR valve in 118k miles. The M32 gearbox however required a rebuild at 100k miles as it started whining badly in 4th and 5th. We also have a Tourer with the 1.4 engine, nice car to drive and very spacious but the jury is out on reliability as it's only done 20k miles.

I’m not convinced by the newer (also Fiat designed) 1.6 diesel either, I’ve heard too many problems with them. Good friend at work had to put a second hand engine in his Astra at less than 100,000 miles with said engine despite a full service history. Ask anyone that’s tried using one as a taxi in a Zafira or an Insignia and you’ll usually hear plenty of expensive misery.