2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Adampr

I took a Vitara (Manual 1.4 Boosterjet S Allgrip) for a short test drive today.

Good points:

- Quite a lively engine

- Good gear change - very precise

- Decent space all round

- Very manoeuvrable with good visibility

- Not a bad drive, decent ride and accurate steering

Bad points:

- Quite noisy

- Very narrow seats

- No front armrest (I care...)

- Steering is very vague around straight ahead and wanders around

I won't be buying one. Shame, as it had a likeable character and felt more solid than I was expecting, but I don't want to have to drive like someone in a black and white film.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - bazza

I have one! Funnily enough I don't find anything wrong with the seat, much more comfortable than previous Civic. Agree it's quite noisy on the motorway. Steering is fine though, handles sharply for what it is. Although it doesn't have the feeling of say an MX5 . Maybe try another one? They're great to own, 50+ mpg on a run. Space wise it's ok but miss my old Octavia estate in that respect. Also the sx4 might be worth a test drive, or the Duster. What else are you looking at?

I have one! Funnily enough I don't find anything wrong with the seat, much more comfortable than previous Civic. Agree it's quite noisy on the motorway. Steering is fine though, handles sharply for what it is. Although it doesn't have the feeling of say an MX5 . Maybe try another one? They're great to own, 50+ mpg on a run. Space wise it's ok but miss my old Octavia estate in that respect. Also the sx4 might be worth a test drive, or the Duster. What else are you looking at?

I did wonder if perhaps being an 'S' meant it had some kind of 'sports' seats. I am not big at all, and the bolsters were digging in no matter how much I moved around.

Steering was very odd - absolutely fine when turning the wheel but borderline dangerous just going straight.

Perhaps I will try another. I would consider a Duster, but need to find a 4wd relatively nearby first.

I also had a look at a Subaru Outback. It would be ideal in many ways, but it was enormous. I then tried an Impreza. It was brilliant, contrary to online reviews, but I need to consider if it has sufficient ground clearance. An XV would deal with that, but they're not exactly plentiful.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - badbusdriver

I haven't so much as sat in a current Vitara, but I found the seats in our Ignis absolutely fine, including the handful of longer journeys undertaken with it. And I can't imagine the Vitara seats weren't at least as big?. The noise?, well that is partly due to to the very squared off shape and partly due to the car being very light for its size. In pursuit of the latter, there isn't as much sound deadening material (which is heavy stuff) as you get on most rivals.

Not sure about the steering, does it have lane assist?. I ask because I found the steering on our new Hyundai Bayon a bit weird (like it had a mind of its own) before learning what it was and how to switch it off!

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - elekie&a/c doctor
Electric power steering can make the car feel a little “lifeless “ in the straight ahead position. What tyres did it have fitted and what pressures? You can adjust settings in dash menu . Remember the car is a very light structure, weighs less than a fiesta . Centre console with armrest is available as an extra .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 06/04/2024 at 19:58

215/55/R17 tyres. Conti eco contact. I didn't check the pressures, but it didn't feel.like a tyre issue.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - catsdad

My wife has a 2020 1.4 and we love it. It’s a 2020 fwd and it’s not noisy from the engine but it can be sensitive to noisy road surfaces. So maybe a tyre change from the standard Contis would help it. I wonder too if the Allgrip system adds to mechanical and road noise?
Ours has a centre armrest and console, and soft finish dash, all of which I think became standard in 2019.
We drove through today’s storms at 70 on the motorway and the steering and handling is fine for us. However some reviews comment on steering feel so I can’t dispute it’s an issue for some.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Andrew-T
Electric power steering can make the car feel a little “lifeless“ in the straight ahead position.

That was one of the first impressions I had when I swapped my 306 (which had good old pump-assisted direct PAS) for the 207SW, back in 2008. That, plus the higher bonnet that was much harder to see over.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - SLO76
“ Steering is very vague around straight ahead and wanders around”

Find me an SUV that doesn’t. It’s not a hot hatch or a sports car. It’s not a particularly exciting car to drive, but it is practical and it’s robust. I like them.
“ Steering is very vague around straight ahead and wanders around” Find me an SUV that doesn’t. It’s not a hot hatch or a sports car. It’s not a particularly exciting car to drive, but it is practical and it’s robust. I like them.

Well, I can say absolutely that a Skoda Karoq doesn't suffer from the same problem!

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Ethan Edwards

I owned a 2017 Vitara S 1.4 Auto AWD. 67 plate. Super comfy and accurate steering. Perhaps you got a poor example. Had it from new put 38k on it. I'm 6ft 4 and hefty so comfort is a priority. That said plenty lively. Well equipped and great value for money. Actually now I do recall that I added an aftermarket centre arm rest. 27 quid ebay and I managed to find one with very similar pattern ( to the leather) vinyl and red stitching. Also had rear cigarette ashtray ( never used). I do agree a centre armrest is nice.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275604759572?mkcid=16&mkevt...Y

Easy fit just pushes into a cup holder. Solid as a rock.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 07/04/2024 at 00:31

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - edlithgow

I don't want to have to drive like someone in a black and white film.

About 5 minutes in?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qws75LN1dug

You should be so lucky.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/04/2024 at 04:27

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - paul 1963

Must have had a problem Adam, I've got a Vitara , 1.4 booster jet mild hybrid, the steering is very precise to be honest, find the seats absolutely fine as well.

As someone mentioned the central arm rest is a easy thing to retrofit, came as standard on mine although I had the car over a month before I found out its adjustable.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - bazza

Drove mine today and focused on the steering, no vagueness at all to be honest, very sharp and instant response to the smallest steering input. Definitely something up with the one you tested, I would try another one!

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Engineer Andy

Must have had a problem Adam, I've got a Vitara , 1.4 booster jet mild hybrid, the steering is very precise to be honest, find the seats absolutely fine as well.

As someone mentioned the central arm rest is a easy thing to retrofit, came as standard on mine although I had the car over a month before I found out its adjustable.

Sometime it can be you're used to a car if you've owned it for a long time, or it drives in a certain way, especially if that car is renowned as a good handling car and/or has an excellent ride, performance, etc.

Sometimes it is worth a longer test drive and more than one. Sometimes it can be that a car has a less comfortable (for the user) seat or driving position, or that they haven't got the adjustment of the seat and steering wheel quite right for that car.

It may just suit them, but maybe fine for someone else, who also may be a different size/ stature, which can make a big difference. Some people are also highly sensitive to differences in driving position of flaws (however small) in such things, especially if they suffer from postural / back problems.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Metropolis.
Suzuki 4x4a peaked in the early 2000s when you could get them with a proper chassis, low range, torque converse autos and solid rear axles, the Grand Vitara XL-7 had all that and an interior that never seemed to wear, ever! Plus a choice of economical diesel that would get 42mpg or super smooth 2.7 v6. The modern vehicles are just not as good.
2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Andrew-T
.... a choice of economical diesel that would get 42mpg or super smooth 2.7 v6.

Wow ! 42mpg. Was it in 4WD all the time ?

.... a choice of economical diesel that would get 42mpg or super smooth 2.7 v6.

Wow ! 42mpg. Was it in 4WD all the time ?

That will be "up to"

Suzuki's own figures (which will no doubt be at least slightly optimistic) say an average of 35.3mpg for the diesel. Curiously, they don't say what the average economy of the 2.7 V6 is..............

The 4wd was selectable, 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - Metropolis.
It has a typical Japanese set up of that era being a part-time system, 2H for tarmac, then for off road you can switch into either 4H or 4L operated by a separate lever.

I quoted the official figure for extra-urban, but they do achieve it in real life too, knowing someone that ran one for many years. From memory I think it is a Peugeot engine.

The v6 model whilst obviously thirsty is surprisingly refined and came with an Aisin 5 speed torque converter auto. The v6 was a further development of the Mazda/Suzuki 2.5, ironically it was Suzuki that decided to go it alone in increasing displacement, I think I read it was even adopted by light aircraft makers.
2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - catsdad

I see Adam may still consider a Vitara in his latest thread re selling to Motorway.

One explanation for the steering issue on his previous Vitara test might be tyre pressures. I was washing ours yesterday (not Allgrip) and noticed that standard pressures on the C pillar are 33psi all round. Which is what we use. The fully laden figures are 35 and 41. However the highest listed pressures are “Eco” and these are a whopping 41 psi front and 38 rear.

I don’t know what the Allgrip pressures are but I wonder lightly loaded car running similar Eco pressures might give odd steering feel?

Edited by catsdad on 15/04/2024 at 12:15

Keeping these all in one place. Just took a drive in a Mazda CX-3 from my local car supermarket. It obviously had been a nice car once, but was very tatty and the coolant was below the Low level despite it having recently been 'serviced' there. There was a Cinch branded transporter unloading cars whilst I was there, so I guess I found where all the local WBAC cars go.

I spotted a Panda 4x4 for sale.on my way home. It was in mostly good nick, but had a cigarette burn in the driver's seat, aftermarket cupholders screwed on to the dash and sills cakes in mud. It actually drove fine, but the seat was too uncomfortable for me.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - RT

Keeping these all in one place. Just took a drive in a Mazda CX-3 from my local car supermarket. It obviously had been a nice car once, but was very tatty and the coolant was below the Low level despite it having recently been 'serviced' there. There was a Cinch branded transporter unloading cars whilst I was there, so I guess I found where all the local WBAC cars go.

I spotted a Panda 4x4 for sale.on my way home. It was in mostly good nick, but had a cigarette burn in the driver's seat, aftermarket cupholders screwed on to the dash and sills cakes in mud. It actually drove fine, but the seat was too uncomfortable for me.

Where WBAC cars go depends on their condition, as reported by the WBAC assessor - when I sold my Hyundai Santa Fe just before the warranty expired it went straight to a Hyunda dealer and rapidly sold on - it was very definitely in retail condition when I sold it.

Today's adventure was a Suzuki Ignis (20 plate Allgrip). What a brilliant little car. The interior space is unbelievable, ride very good and handling exceptional.

Sadly, the seats were no good for me. Too squishy and too thin.

I've read a lot of.negative comments on the interior quality. As I'm not a motoring journalist, I don't spend my life squeezing dashboards are scratching at door cards, but the interior seemed fine to me, and a lot better than mid range cars with shingly black plastic and fake metal everywhere.

2016 Suzuki Vitara - Test Drive - SLO76
I like the Ignis, it’s fun and has character. That it’s reliable and costs buttons to run only sweetens the pot. A great little car.
I like the Ignis, it’s fun and has character. That it’s reliable and costs buttons to run only sweetens the pot. A great little car.

Agreed, just steer clear of the AGS auto!.

I'd also steer clear of the basic (SZ3) spec. Not that I've anything against low spec cars, but in the Ignis's case, you get a fixed 3 person rear bench seat in the SZ3 rather than the very useful 2 individual sliding rear seats in the other trim levels. And yes, some might need to seat 3 in the back, but for them, the Ignis wouldn't be a great choice as the cabin is so narrow.

I'd also steer clear of the basic (SZ3) spec. Not that I've anything against low spec cars, but in the Ignis's case, you get a fixed 3 person rear bench seat in the SZ3 rather than the very useful 2 individual sliding rear seats in the other trim levels. And yes, some might need to seat 3 in the back, but for them, the Ignis wouldn't be a great choice as the cabin is so narrow.

I believe it's a CVT in the newer ones. Incidentally, I sat in another Vitara and the seats still feel narrow. I must have a giant bum.

I believe it's a CVT in the newer ones. Incidentally, I sat in another Vitara and the seats still feel narrow. I must have a giant bum.

Yes, we missed out on the facelifted version with the CVT by a matter of about a month or two, Grrr!

Not sure what to say about the seats though, it is puzzling.

I really liked the seats in it, as did my Dad, though neither of us are very big in either direction. My wife, who is (ahem) a "bit" heavier than she should be, found them fine. And I even had my cousin's 25 stone daughter in the front passenger seat. She "fitted" a lot better than I feared, and while I didn't actually ask how she found the seat, there were no complaints (or fidgeting) after two 20 mile trips?.

How about a Sandero Stepway?. Figures I have suggest the ground clearance (I believe about an inch more than the Sandero) is only 1cm less than the Ignis. You could get one with the same engine as your Twingo!

Yes, we missed out on the facelifted version with the CVT by a matter of about a month or two, Grrr!

Not sure what to say about the seats though, it is puzzling.

I really liked the seats in it, as did my Dad, though neither of us are very big in either direction. My wife, who is (ahem) a "bit" heavier than she should be, found them fine. And I even had my cousin's 25 stone daughter in the front passenger seat. She "fitted" a lot better than I feared, and while I didn't actually ask how she found the seat, there were no complaints (or fidgeting) after two 20 mile trips?.

How about a Sandero Stepway?. Figures I have suggest the ground clearance (I believe about an inch more than the Sandero) is only 1cm less than the Ignis. You could get one with the same engine as your Twingo!

It has crossed my mind, but I have become fixated on having 4wd for the one day I'll need it. I am keeping an eye out for a 4wd Duster to try, but they aren't that common.

Tomorrow I'm heading down to deepest Devon to have a look at various Subarus. I thought the Impreza was great, but too low so have high hopes for an XV. They also have an old Forester that I might look at

My seats issue is different between the Vitara and Ignis. In the Vitara, they felt good apart from the bolsters on the bottom bit (squab?) are too close together, so it feels like I'm perched on them. In the Ignis (and Panda 4x4 as it happens), the issue seems to be that they have no lumber support. I have very poor posture and it seems that I am absurdly sensitive to car seat shape and support. There is little rhyme or reason to it and it's deeply frustrating.

Having lost a fair chunk of money ditching a brand new Golf that I just couldn't get comfortable in, I now just walk away from any car that doesn't feel right immediately.

Just to wrap this one up, I did try another Vitara in the end, and decided to buy it. I saw it at about 11:30 and, after harassing the poor salesman, it is now sat on my drive. At least he can enjoy a drink with his commission.

The steering problem didn't exist on this one, so the other must have had something worn that was causing it to wander.

I've gone for a 1.6 SZ5 Allgrip Auto meeting all key backroom criteria:

1. Suzuki
  2. Normally aspirated
  3. Old fashioned auto gearbox with no dual clutch witchcraft

It's still rather noisy after the Karoq and the seat bases are still weird. I'm hoping a little adjusting will solve that, as the backs are fine (which is unusual for me).