Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - Grrilla

Morning, I recently bought a 09 Meriva from a dealer and have realised it's come with a myriad of issues. I'm taking it back for a refund tomorrow. (Dealer isn't on board with that yet but I'm determined).

The issue is that I've not received the new V5c yet. Is it possible for me to sign it back to the dealer online using the ref number from the V5c I got when I purchased it or will this number change for the new V5c?

If I can't sign it back online using the number from the previous V5c, what can l do to transfer ownership back to the dealer?

They really don't want to refund me as it is, so I'm expecting they'll use this as an excuse to encourage me to keep hold of it. Also I want it sorted this weekend so I don't have to pay tax for April!

Thanks

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - leaseman

Did you tax the car when you bought it, as you're required to do?

Either the car is currently untaxed, or you bought it some time ago.

Did you tax the car when you bought it, as you're required to do?

Either the car is currently untaxed, or you bought it some time ago.

Yeah of course, taxed and insured it before driving it away. Purchased the car on 17/3/24

Edited by Grrilla on 28/03/2024 at 07:53

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - elekie&a/c doctor
On what grounds are you wanting to return the car? At 15 years old it’s bound to have a few issues.

With respect, that's not my question. I've spoken to citizens advice who have advised I have a clear cut justification for return and refund. The car is not just 'not satisfactory' it's is not roadworthy and I can prove as such.

I'm just not clear how I can legally return ownership to the dealer without having received the new logbook as yet

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - elekie&a/c doctor
“Not roadworthy “ is a different call . Advise the dealer that you are returning the car as it is dangerous. Do not drive it . It’s down to the seller to collect it at no cost to yourself. I wouldn’t be too worried about the V5 .
Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - Chris M

The OP has said the car came with a "myriad of issues" but that doesn't necessarily make it "Not roadworthy". One tyre with a cut through to the cords would make it unroadworthy, but is an easy fix.

The V5C isn't proof of ownership, just who is the registered keeper.

Edited by Chris M on 28/03/2024 at 10:47

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - Brit_in_Germany

The OP has said it is not roadworthy. It is a crime for them to sell such a car, which in turn gives you a good negotiating position.

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - Andrew-T

With respect, that's not my question. I've spoken to citizens advice who have advised I have a clear cut justification for return and refund. The car is not just 'not satisfactory' it's is not roadworthy and I can prove as such.

I'm just not clear how I can legally return ownership to the dealer without having received the new logbook as yet

Whatever you feel about the car (especially allowing for its age) you have to give the seller the opportunity to rectify any reasonable 'issues' before you can justifiably reject the car - which may be legally 'roadworthy' if it has a current MoT. If he refuses, then you can proceed with rejection.

I think a car of this age will be a case of Caveat Emptor. What mileage is on it ?

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - skidpan

Whatever you feel about the car (especially allowing for its age) you have to give the seller the opportunity to rectify any reasonable 'issues' before you can justifiably reject the car

Not in the first 28 days under the 2015 act. Under previous acts that was the case.

Vauxhall Meriva - Returning car before V5c arrives - mcb100
Out of curiosity, what makes the car unroadworthy?