FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - bathtub tom

As the subject. Reckon that will please the hybrid and BEV haters.

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - Metropolis.
Good news at last. Cheers.
The EVangelical lobby love to ban things the rest of us enjoy. About time it went the other way.

Edited by Metropolis. on 29/02/2024 at 22:20

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - Adampr
Good news at last. Cheers. The EVangelical lobby love to ban things the rest of us enjoy. About time it went the other way.

Alright, I'll bite. What is this lobby and what have they banned?

The EV lobby, banning ICE sales. Fines for entering cities, etc.

There isn't really an 'EV lobby'. All of these things are being invented to divide society.

Just saying that we need to evolve and explaining why doesn't win votes or sell newspapers, so it serves our politicians well to allow the idea that there are manipulative groups on either side telling lies.

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - badbusdriver

Good news at last. Cheers.

The EVangelical lobby love to ban things the rest of us enjoy. About time it went the other way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither of these statements make any sense whatsoever in relation to the thread title and content.

From a WRC spectators point of view it will make no difference at all.

Though out of curiosity, I would be interested to learn why?. Hybrids have only been in the WRC for a couple of years and going by TV coverage, there doesn't seem to be much failures or problems directly as a result.

BTCC also have been using hybrids for a couple of years now and they are, at least in part, using it instead of the antiquated "success ballast" system. So the winner of the previous race gets less hybrid boost available during the course of the next race (instead of adding weight). To a progressively lesser degree, the same applies to 2nd and 3rd places in previous race.

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - bathtub tom
Though out of curiosity, I would be interested to learn why?.

"The FIA says a decision to allow non-hybrid Rally1 cars to compete in the World Rally Championship will make rallying’s top flight more accessible to newcomers."

"The FIA says a decision to allow non-hybrid Rally1 cars to compete in the World Rally Championship will make rallying’s top flight more accessible to newcomers."

So they're not actually banning hybrids, they're just allowing non-hybrids to compete in the same class.

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - badbusdriver

So they're not actually banning hybrids, they're just allowing non-hybrids to compete in the same class.

It seems hybrid is being ditched to make the cars lighter, less complicated and more affordable. That last part is important as it seems there will be a price cap on the cost of each car being imposed from 2026. As part of that, there will be a common "safety cell", around which, the rest of the car will be built.

Just to be clear, a fully electric class is on the cards. Which makes sense because most stages are no longer than about 60km, so easily removable battery packs would make a complete rally (maybe 350km) doable.

I am still amazed by this comment. Do you really not think there is a green lobby that is pro EV and pushing for the ban of ICEs?

My point is quite simple I am not sure why people are struggling. You are all aware of the restrictions and bans facing pure ICE vehicles. It is just a nice change, to me, to see it going the other way, a bit of karma for the folks that like to interfere so heavily in the choice of the consumer. Or the EV fans that see no problem with banning things because it is not a ban of what THEY like. As a point of principle I do not support bans, but at this stage, it is an eye for an eye.
FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - alan1302
Good news at last. Cheers. The EVangelical lobby love to ban things the rest of us enjoy. About time it went the other way.

You don't want them to ban things you like but are happy to ban things they like? I see.

I do not want to ban them, but given they aggressively seek to ban or inhibit ICE as much as they can it is about time they got a taste of their own medicine. Of course if they stopped pushing for bans of ICE I would in turn not support a ban of EVs.
I do not want to ban them, but given they aggressively seek to ban or inhibit ICE as much as they can it is about time they got a taste of their own medicine. Of course if they stopped pushing for bans of ICE I would in turn not support a ban of EVs.

Sounds all very childish.

This is why we don't get any proper debates anymore - it's all very black and white and with people not able/willing to see someone else's point of view.

Well if the other side were not just banning things, perhaps we could then have a civilised debate as to which product is better, otherwise known as the free market.
Well if the other side were not just banning things, perhaps we could then have a civilised debate as to which product is better, otherwise known as the free market.

The 'other side' aren't just banning things. The only people banning the sale of ICE vehicles in the Uk is the government but they don't all seem to be EV evangelicals.

Also the free market does not mean something will be better though - is Tesco the best shop in the UK? Does Toyota build the every best cars? Is Windows the best an OS can be?

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - mcb100
Plug-in hybrid is dead end technology so far as manufacturers are concerned, hence the reluctance to commit to huge amounts of money to participate.
The new regulations propose a common safety cell, around which an OEM will hang their own bodywork. Massively reducing development costs.
There is also work in hand to introduce a BEV section, where ICE & BEV will compete alongside each other.
‘ but given they aggressively seek to ban or inhibit ICE as much as they can’

Who are ‘they’?
‘ but given they aggressively seek to ban or inhibit ICE as much as they can’ Who are ‘they’?

We already covered this - it's the EV Lobby. It's not clear who that might be

FIA to ban hybrids for WRC 2025 season - skidpan

When will people realise the human race cannot simply carry on as we have been. We have to look for a cleaner way of living and that includes motorsport.

F1 is hybrid power so why not world rally? Hybrids compete at Le Mans, Toyota has been the car to beat for several years.

When I stopped competing in speed events the MSA were bringing in a requirement for road legal cars to be fitted with CATS if they were manufactured after a certain date which was a start but no idea what the requirements are today.

‘Or the EV fans that see no problem with banning things because it is not a ban of what THEY like.’

It really isn’t a case of what one likes or dislikes. I’d be delighted to see classic/important/significant cars running for decades to come, maybe on some type of synthetic fuel. Formula 1 is moving to sustainable fuels in 2026.
But, for mass transport, we have to lower levels of CO2 and other greenhouse gases, and the adoption of EV is the best current technology to achieve that.
I’ve done my share of driving high performance stuff with lots of spark plugs, but, having done the research, the days of relying on combustion to achieve locomotion have to come to an end for the masses.
I’m happy you’re happy with the news that the WRC are moving (temporarily) back towards pure ICE, but I honestly don’t think it’s in any way a victory - it’s a sport’s governing body trying to attract more manufacturers to the sport, not the result of any either pro or anti-EV.