Taxi meter - still relevant? - movilogo

One advantage with ride sharing apps like Uber is that the price is known beforehand.

With metered taxi, there is no way to guess what the final price is going to be.

I find it hugely advantageous for Uber especially on a new country when I don't know if driver is taking me for a ride :-)

I now wonder why we have metered taxi concept anymore? Surely an algorithm can always calculate fare beforehand depending on traffic enroute?

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Palcouk

A metered taxi is on time & mileage, which is feature of any journey, uber & other mileage only is highly disadvantaged for the driver.

Uber et al vary prices depending on traffic.

They also have surge price which depends on demand and supply

Taxi meter - still relevant? - gordonbennet

If unfortunate enough to be in London a black cab it is, multitude of reasons.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Bromptonaut

At the moment we've two systems.

Late 2022 Uber in Liverpool from my son's place to our hotel a mile or so away at 22:00 on Saturday was quoting £20. Taxi based on mileage/time would have been less, maybe half, but probably a longer wait.

Your choice on the day.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Heidfirst

our local radio cars (not hackney) also do fixed price fares on common runs e.g. airport so one can know in advance.

I thought all private hire cabs are fixed price only and only hackney cabs have meters.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - galileo

A month or so ago friends of mine had been visiting family in London.

Went to Kings Cross for a train home in the late evening, no trains!

The three of them got an Uber to Huddersfield for £430, which seemed their best option at the time.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Bromptonaut

A month or so ago friends of mine had been visiting family in London.

Went to Kings Cross for a train home in the late evening, no trains!

The three of them got an Uber to Huddersfield for £430, which seemed their best option at the time.

My son and friends did similar after the last train from Euston to Northampton was the first for 90 mins not to be cancelled. It was rammed beyond belief.

Saved a few quid by booking the Uber from Seven Sisters (or somewhere that way on the tube) rather than Euston.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - daveyjp

I haven't been in a taxi of any flavour without a meter for decades. Private hire used to zero the trip meter and look up the price based on mileage on a printed sheet.

That was replaced by meters and our local private hire now use an app which gives an estimate based on mileage.

Airport runs are a rip off. £25 v £15 for the same distance to an address near the airport which isn't the airport. The £25 excludes the drop off fee!

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Terry W

Taxis seem hugely expensive. From where we live to Bristol airport is £70 for 26 miles and 40-60mins depending on time of day.

If I drive it costs ~£7-8 for fuel return. Double to include tyres, servicing, depreciation, airport drop off charges etc.

Taxis have higher vehicle costs (hire and reward insurance etc) and unless they have a timely pick up will come back empty. Probably 2 hours working time elapsed.

I don't know what the taxi company take for bookings and payment administration - assume 20% of the fare. At a guess the driver/owner ends up with ~£20 per hour - hardly excessive.

Not dissimilar to train fares in many ways - two in a car are almost invariably cheaper than the lowest priced off peak advance fares. Full fares are ruinous.

That cars are the preferred transport choice outside major urban areas is no surprise. Public transport (including taxis) needs a radical rethink and changed technologies to ever be competitive.

Taxis seem hugely expensive.

They are.

But often people have no choice e.g. as tourist in cities with no/poor public transport etc.

Airport runs are rip off because this is when people often don't have alternatives i.e. parking car is more costly and luggage is not suitable to travelling in public transport.

Any cash payment as fare will probably be unreported to HMRC - so that is where they can make some extra profit :-)

Taxis have their use cases but in a metered taxi you don't know full price at the point of purchase.

Taxi meter - still relevant? - Terry W

Last 5 week trip to Spain I left my car at the airport - Silver Zone, 5 minute courtesy bus to terminal. Cost I recall was about £110 - less than the price of taxis there and back.

Also had the benefit that all travel was within my control, not reliant on taxis turning up at the right time - although in fairness a failure to pick up would be somewhat unusual.