Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - KB.

Was shown at the Geneva Motor Show in recent days.

They havent posted anyone driving one yet but the new design looks a step up. Maybe the NCAP rating will be better too.

An automatic version as well as continued 4x4 versions.

I'll look at one when they're in the showrooms.

You have to ask yourself though .... would you look at something slightly less bargain basement and slightly dearer but knowing you'd get a couple of grand discount off it ... or go for the lower priced Duster with no discount or haggling?

And what's gonna hold its value better, the Kia/Hyundai,Vauxhall etc etc - or the Duster?

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - focussed

We have a 2022 Duster Prestige 1.5 dci ad blue 115 ps 4x4 here in France.

It's our second car used as a utility runabout.

It does everything it says on the tin for us. Sturdy, solid feel, doors shut with a "clomp" not a "doing". Has enough bells and whistles, phone connectivity, decent 6 speaker radio, media connectivity, good sat nav on a nice big screen, sensible heater controls, for around £20k.

MPG is averaging high 40's to mid 50's, doesn't use any oil bar the half a litre it used during the running in period, pulls our big trailer full of firrewood about 1500 kg it doesn't stuggle at all.

Just had second year service at a main dealer, oil+ filter+fuel filter+cabin filter+top up adblue 10 litres + ecu updates = 220 euros parts and labour.

Over here there is no problem with depreciation, we have been offered what we paid for it from the agency we bought it from* two years ago with delivery mileage.only - Dusters are really popular over here, France's top seller to private owners.

We are on the dealer's list for a test drive in the new duster when it turns up, but I don't want the milk float motor technology so may just keep the current Dusty Bin!

*We bought it from an agency, called a "mandataire auto" over here as we couldn't find the spec we wanted from a dealer unless we waited 4 months for delivery.

Edited by focussed on 28/02/2024 at 01:08

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - badbusdriver

Was shown at the Geneva Motor Show in recent days.

They havent posted anyone driving one yet but the new design looks a step up. Maybe the NCAP rating will be better too.

Maybe, and fair enough if that is your priority. But remember Dacia's USP is the bargain bucket prices which, is at least in part, due to not fitting these accident avoidance systems which push the price up. If you want NCAP ratings comparable to other mainstream makes, Dacia's will no longer be as cheap relative to those other makes.

An automatic version as well as continued 4x4 versions.

Automatic Dusters have been available since about 2017, albeit on the diesel only. Petrol auto has been available since about 2021 on the facelifted 2nd gen cars.

"Automatic Dusters have been available since about 2017, albeit on the diesel only. Petrol auto has been available since about 2021 on the facelifted 2nd gen cars"

But sadly not the 4x4 version, diesel or petrol.

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - John F

Over here there is no problem with depreciation, we have been offered what we paid for it

Over anywhere, if there is 'no problem with depreciation' there will almost certainly be a problem with inflation!

Over here there is no problem with depreciation, we have been offered what we paid for it

Over anywhere, if there is 'no problem with depreciation' there will almost certainly be a problem with inflation!

But not anything like the loss experienced when depreciation is added to inflation!

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - Terry W

Dacia started with a basic low cost/price package built to decent standards based on Renault kit. Part of their advantage are low labour rates in Romania compared to the rest of the EU.

Dacia could try to stand still - but most other manufacturers are continually improving their offering and changing expectations.

To avoid a widening gap Dacia have little choice but to improve quality and gizmos. Market research likely to identify missing features rather than "back to basics" aspirations.

This has happened before with basic low price entrants into the UK market - some go up market (eg: Skoda, Kia), some fail (eg: Wartburg, Moskavitch, Proton). The real question is who will follow Dacia as the low price leader - made more complex by EV transition.

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - martin.mc

I bought a new 1.3 litre petrol Duster in 2021. Doesn't feel bargain basement at all. Minimum of 'driver assistance' features, lovely quiet smooth running 4 cyliinder engine. Pulls like a train and returns 45mpg. Don't fancy a hybrid version so will be hanging onto mine for the forseeable future.

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - KB.

Can I ask why not the hybrid? Just a question ... I've neither owned nor driven one.

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - martin.mc

Just more complication and things to go wrong. Seems a lot of hassle for a slight isaving in fuel costs.

Edited by martin.mc on 29/02/2024 at 08:36

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - badbusdriver

Just more complication and things to go wrong. Seems a lot of hassle for a slight isaving in fuel costs.

Surely that depends on usage, temperature, and how you drive?

I watched a (speeded up) video of a Clio hybrid being used in an urban environment over about an hour and a quarter. Average economy at the end of that was 85.6mpg. ICE wouldn't have managed more than about half of that in the same circumstances.

If most of your journeys are on main roads at higher speeds there wouldn't be much of a case for going hybrid. But if most of your journeys are urban, there very much is a case for going hybrid.

In very cold temperatures, the hybrid system won't be doing very much at all because of how small the battery is.

And of course, hybrids work most efficiently with a smoother and more relaxed style of driving.

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - London calling

Toyota and Lexus are one of the most reliable vehicles and they’re mostly hybrid …

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - gordonbennet

Toyota and Lexus are one of the most reliable vehicles and they’re mostly hybrid …

Indeed and that's what other makers producing hybrids are up against, i and probably others would rather buy a 3 year old Toyota hybrid than a new Dacia (or other make) hybrid.

Warranty in both cases should be for another 10 years...assuming Toyota annual service and a bought Dacia extended warranty plus main dealer servicing.

"i and probably others would rather buy a 3 year old Toyota hybrid"

There is only one flaw in that argument - have you seen the prices they want for their secondhand stock?

And you think that a 3 year old Toyota having been thrashed within an inch of it's life by a sales rep is better value than a brand spanker of a lesser marque?

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - gordonbennet

"i and probably others would rather buy a 3 year old Toyota hybrid"

There is only one flaw in that argument - have you seen the prices they want for their secondhand stock?

And you think that a 3 year old Toyota having been thrashed within an inch of it's life by a sales rep is better value than a brand spanker of a lesser marque?

Those high used prices are the result of the Toyota hybrid system being proved to destruction, or rather not destructing, by thousands of taxi drivers and other business users over a couple of decades now.

Hybrid in Dacia and Renault is still fairly new, i'm waiting to see taxi drivers buying Joggers by the hundred and getting similar results over quarter million mile usage, a Jogger would also work very well for us.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/03/2024 at 06:49

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - bathtub tom

I'm curious about the Renault hybrid system. They pull away from stationary using electric power only and then engage a gear using dog clutches to be driven by ICE. Further gear changes use dog clutches with the gearbox being spun up to speed by an electric motor, obviating the need for a friction clutch. French engineering - hmm?

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - Manatee

Friend is ex French Navy and an engineer by education. He greatly admires French engineering and says it works very well, in theory.

The opposite philosophy I suppose is the US, where they massively over-engineer using established technology. Although my observations might be out of date.

If I had to replace the Outlander tomorrow, I think I'd buy a Duster. It might depreciate fast but it will struggle to lose as much value as a £40k alternative.

I can only speak as I find - our diesel Dacia Duster 2 phase 2 has been no problem fron new, feels solid and just kind of works!

Like the Dacia sales spiel.

"Everything you need and nothing you don't"

Dacia Duster - 2024 Dacia Duster - barney100

I would be interested in a no frills low priced car, just needs to go and stop with decent reliability. I am not fussed with all the gizmos.