Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - Emmilou

Now on my second ford fusion which quite frankly has been nothing but trouble since I bought it,so I'm now looking for something else. The only trouble is I have arthritis and have difficulty getting in and out,which is why the ford fusion is great. I've narrowed it down to a honda jazz,c3 picasso or a Skoda fabia. But I'm wondering if there's a estate that I could get in and out of,cheap to tax and run. Mainly i just go about the town but I need the room for grandkids and the dog. My budget is £2000 it's all I can afford so needs to be cheap to any suggestions?

Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - elekie&a/c doctor
Unfortunately £2k is banger money . You’ll need to be very lucky to find something reasonably descent that meets your needs . £3-4 k will get you a good hyuandai ix30 or the same Kia venga . You need to be careful as older cheap cars tend to be more expensive to tax .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 22/02/2024 at 21:42

Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - SLO76
Is the Fusion a petrol or a diesel? What exactly is wrong with it?

You’d be better fixing an otherwise sound old car than spending £2,000 on another old banger that may well be much worse. Sadly the days of picking up a half decent old motor for under two grand are gone, you’ll be in banger territory, the sort of cars £800 would’ve bought you before Covid etc.
Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - badbusdriver

I'd also be interested to learn what the trouble is with the Fusion. With either of the two petrol engines and a manual gearbox, (assuming it has been looked after re servicing) they are very reliable cars and ideal for the OP's needs. An ageing diesel, especially with the Durashift automated manual could well become troublesome though.

But buying any £2k car is going to involve a fairly large degree of luck so, depending on what ails the Fusion, I'd also suggest sorting it rather than blowing the money on something which could easily turn out to be worse.

My first one was a 2004 it was great both diesel no problems so I decided to get a newer one a 2008. When I bought it had the cam belt done straight away ,then had problems inlet pipe needed sorting and had problems with oil. Then two months later got hit by someone and they wrote the car now a cat n. Injector went just before Christmas, ignition barrel had to be done and then the starter motor went. My mechanic has told me that another injector is probably going to need to doing as when one goes another will. Beyond me I'm afraid no good with cars it's cost me so much money I can't keep paying for it to be fixed.

Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - elekie&a/c doctor
Any diesel car of this age is likely to be expensive to fix . There must be some Fusion models out there with a petrol engine which are far less troublesome.
Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - SLO76
The lesson here is not to buy a cheap diesel. They’re far more complex and much more likely to go wrong. Had you bought a petrol Fusion with the robust 1.4/1.6 Yamaha designed motor you’d have spent a bit more on fuel but saved more than this on repairs. When looking for a replacement keep it simple, avoid diesels and avoid prestige brands. A petrol Fiesta, Fusion, Mazda 2, Nissan Note, Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz (all petrol) would all be worthy options. But at this money there are no guarantees and private sales are by far the best option as dealers are wanting £2k for cars that have a matter of months worth of life left.

If you’re not knowledgeable about cars then take someone with you when you view and post links to the adverts for any cars you find locally on here and I’m sure you’ll get an informed opinion or two.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/02/2024 at 15:32

Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - badbusdriver

The lesson here is not to buy a cheap diesel.

I think there may be another lesson here.

If you have a cheap car which is giving you no problems, don't replace it!

Ford fusion - Looking for a replacement for my ford fusion - Random

Absolutely no reason why a well chosen sub £2000 car can't be a good buy. Go for a low owner, good service and MOT history car and it should serve you well. Spending twice as much is no guarantee of greater reliability. I've been buying cars under £2000, sometimes under £1000 that have been very reliable needing very little in addition to regular servicing.

A petrol Fusion would be a good choice or a 1.4 petrol Fabia estate. I'd forget about a Jazz, prone to rust and catalytic converter theft.

No idea where you are, here's a few you could consider. Good luck!

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202302214502123?s...a

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402136512293?s...a

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402236872786?s...a

Thank you