Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - Gabe

Morning all!

I'm having difficulty choosing which vehicle I want to transport me, my partner and one child (no plans for any more).

My wishes are: automatic, reliability, fuel efficient, nice interior and not too boring to drive. So far my short list includes: Mazda CX 5 (2020/2021 model), Peugeot 2008 (2024) and Skoda Kamiq (2024).

Would love to have your feedback and if you can think of anything else, I would love to hear!

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - Adampr

The Mazda (petrol only) would be a good choice. It's quite a lot bigger than the other two and is probably the right size. Maybe consider a Toyota RAV 4 too.

Is there a reason you want or need an SUV?

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - SLO76
I’d have the Mazda, and I’d also look at the smaller (similar in size to the 2008) Mazda CX-3 and CX-30. The petrol 2.0 skyactiv motor is a very robust chain driven design with no inherent reliability concerns and the tried and tested torque converter automatic gearbox is of no concern either.

The Peugeot uses a 1.2 3cyl petrol motor that has a poor reputation for timing belt failures, it’s not one I’d buy outside of the original manufacturer’s warranty.

The Skoda uses VW’s DSG twin clutch automated manual box, which is hideously complicated and cripplingly costly to fix when (rather than if) it fails. The manual cars are fine though.
Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - John F
The Peugeot uses a 1.2 3cyl petrol motor that has a poor reputation for timing belt failures, it’s not one I’d buy outside of the original manufacturer’s warranty.

Not any more. For the past six years it has been fitted with a fit for purpose belt. There are now literally millions of this excellent engine all over the globe in various Stellantis models. It is often coupled to a reliable Aisin autobox, e.g. EAT6 and latterly, EAT8, in Peugeots. The OP mentions a 2024 Peugeot 2008, but for family use I would go for a 3008.

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - Ian_SW

If fuel economy and "not too boring to drive" are important criteria, it's worth looking at normal D segment hatchbacks as well (Focus, Golf, Astra etc.). They all drive better than the crossover equivalent and often use less fuel too.

I quite liked the new 2008 when I got one as a hire car though - it went/drove pretty well and I got over 50mpg with no effort and a decent auto gearbox. I wouldn't ever buy one though because I didn't like with the microscopic steering wheel at knee level. This can be avoided by getting the Vauxhall Mokka though, which is otherwise much the same car.

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - badbusdriver

The Mazda (petrol only) would be a good choice. It's quite a lot bigger than the other two and is probably the right size. Maybe consider a Toyota RAV 4 too.

You don't think a Kamiq or 2008 would have enough space for a couple with one child?

My wishes are: automatic, reliability, fuel efficient, nice interior and not too boring to drive. So far my short list includes: Mazda CX 5 (2020/2021 model), Peugeot 2008 (2024) and Skoda Kamiq (2024).

Would love to have your feedback and if you can think of anything else, I would love to hear!

While there is no doubt the CX5 would prove most reliable out of that three long term, with a n/a 2.0 petrol and (t/c) auto, it isn't going to be particularly efficient!. I'd expect the 2008 to be at least 15% more efficient than a CX5 and the Kamiq maybe about another 5% more efficient than the 2008

If you can afford a 2024 example of either Kamiq or 2008, I wouldn't have much concerns of reliability*.

Alternatives are numerous with a huge amount of small SUV/Crossovers on the market now. Even just considering direct "relatives" of the Kamiq and 2008 brings at least another six options. For the former, this would be the VW's T-Cross and Taigo, along with the Seat Arona. For the latter this includes Vauxhall's Mokka, and Crossland, along with the Citroen C3 Aircross.

*But if you are a hard driver, a car with a DSG/DCT transmission (like the Kamiq) maybe wouldn't be the best choice as they don't stand up well to abuse.

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - Adampr

You don't think a Kamiq or 2008 would have enough space for a couple with one child?

I am a component of a couple with one child and, no, I don't. Supermini sized cars don't really have enough space in the back for long journeys and the boot is normally too small for camping etc.

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - Engineer Andy

I am a component of a couple with one child and, no, I don't. Supermini sized cars don't really have enough space in the back for long journeys and the boot is normally too small for camping etc.

I suppose it depends on how often you need the extra space for holiday use or similar.

Even with car prices (and insurance) being as high as they are and hiring costs being significantly higher than before the pandemic, it's always worth doing some kind of cost-benefit analysis to see if its beneficial to run a small car for daily use and hire (or borrow from a friend or relative) a large one occasionally when required.

The difference between a supermini and a mid-larger crossover/SUV could be many £0000s even for a 10 year old second hand example, plus the likely significant difference in mpg or possible need to buy a diesel for the larger car to offset that, and a EU6 one so it can be driven into certain large urban areas and avoid ULEZ penalties.

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - badbusdriver

Horses for courses I suppose, but as a component(?) of a couple with two children (both now grown up), the Kamiq's 400 litres would have been more than enough for us.

We had a 1999 Polo with a 245 litre boot when 2nd child came along in 2001. It was replaced in 2002 by a Peugeot Partner Combi which had 650 litres, chosen for the principal reason that the pushchair would go in to boot without needing to be folded!. But after that, the boot capacity of each new car (every three years) went 330 litres, 225 litres, 400 litres, 380 litres. By the time the next car came along (Jazz, 350 litres), the eldest had flown the coop.

When we got our Daihatsu Sirion (225 litre boot, and 64cm shorter than a Kamiq!) in 2008, the eldest was 11 years old and of slightly above average height. There was plenty of space in the back of that for him and his brother (including two trips from Aberdeenshire to Lancashire and the West Midlands).

Choosing an automatic Family Vehicle - John F

I quite liked the new 2008 ..... wouldn't ever buy one though because I didn't like with the microscopic steering wheel at knee level.

Interesting. I really like it - makes it like driving a nippy go-cart. And for long journeys it's comfortable for septuagenarian arm muscles and shoulder joints!