Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Downdale

I own the above Skoda model registered in 2014. It has a 3-cylinder 1198cc engine. A friend of mine owns a 2014 Nissan Note Acenta Premium DIG-S which also has a 3-cylinder 1198cc engine. Because his emits only 99g/Km it falls into band A and he pays no road tax. My car produces 128g/Km (band D) which costs me £150. Can anyone tell me what his engine has that mine doesn't? I'm not arguing about the figures as they're easily verified online, though I do wonder if any retro fit could remedy this.

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - elekie&a/c doctor
I suppose if you go to VW , ask them if they can retrofit a Nissan/ Renault to your car , I’m not sure what their response will be ? Sorry , but not really sure what you’re asking .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/02/2024 at 13:31

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Xileno

It could be all sorts of reasons, engine mapping, design of combustion chamber. Many on here are more technical than I am.

It can be something as simple as tyres. When the Jaguar XE came out, there was a diesel that was 99g/km by having (amongst other changes) a certain spec of lower rolling resistance tyre other XE's didn't have

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - skidpan

Presumably your Fabia is not fitted with a modern TSi engine. Our 2018 Fabia TSi 110 PS has a CO figure of 99 but since it was registered after April 1 2017 we have to pay the same VED as any petrol car.

Before the Fabia we had a Nissan Note DIG-S. Its a clever engine which uses a supercharger which decouples and can change from Otto cycle to Atkinsopn cycle as required , like you say its 99 CO's and costs £0 a year VED (providing it was registered before the rule change in April 2017).

So both engines are 99 CO's and both average about 48 mpg overall and just over 60 mpg on a long run. But give me the TSI any day. The DIG-S needed 4,000 rpm on the clock to get going and it was pretty noisy doing it, the TSI only need 2,000 rpm and is much more refined.

If you are swapping get a Fabia 1.0 TSi registered before 01 April 2017 but you will never save the money you spend changing if its just to save some VED.

I do wonder if any retro fit could remedy this

The answer is simply NO. The figures are certified by the manufacturer and if it were possible the cost would outweigh any savings.

Edited by skidpan on 10/02/2024 at 13:58

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Xileno

In addition to the cost it would likely cause complications with insurance. Some companies do not get involved with modifications. I know this from previous cars.

Keep what you've got until it's time to change.

I pay £240 a year (just dropped on the door mat this morning) which annoys me as I only do 1000 miles a year but it would never pay to change cars particularly as it's 17 now so surely won't have much more economic life left.

Thanks for that info and for taking the trouble to reply; I had no idea about the decoupling supercharger. My mate withe the Note will be interested.

Thanks Skidpan for the info and for taking the trouble to reply. I didn't know about the decoupling supercharger. That pretty-much answers my original question. I'm sure my mate will also be very interested in the details.

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - skidpan
I suppose if you go to VW , ask them if they can retrofit a Nissan/ Renault to your car , I’m not sure what their response will be ? Sorry , but not really sure what you’re asking .

The DIG-S engine is in no way related to any used by Renault. Its a Nissan engine and as far as I am aware was only used in the Micra and Note. Renault 1.2's use turbo's, this is supercharged.

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - badbusdriver

Hypothetically, even if the OP was to swap the engine for one from a car to one which had free road tax, would that make any difference?. Surely the OP's car would remain in the same tax bracket as when new and first registered regardless?

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Bromptonaut

Hypothetically, even if the OP was to swap the engine for one from a car to one which had free road tax, would that make any difference?. Surely the OP's car would remain in the same tax bracket as when new and first registered regardless?

Also, £150/year is £3/week. As a proportion of the cost of running a car on average miles or thereabouts it's a drop in the ocean.

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - daveyjp
Also consider weight. Adding a few optional extras to a Skoda can increase VED.
Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Bromptonaut

Eh? VED, is based on facts declared at first registration.

In what way would the VED of an ordinary car be changed by adding heavy accessories?

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - Chris M

"In what way would the VED of an ordinary car be changed by adding heavy accessories?"

My 2016 Astra 1.0 SRi is £20 per year as is the Elite spec. The Design and Tech Line were £0. The only difference is bigger wheels/tyres and more kit (extra weight).

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - badbusdriver

Eh? VED, is based on facts declared at first registration.

In what way would the VED of an ordinary car be changed by adding heavy accessories?

In theory, more weight would result in higher emissions for a higher spec car (or with wider and lower profile tyres) than a lower spec one with the same running gear. But in practise the difference would be very small indeed, so I can't really see it affecting the tax bracket.

Looking at the running costs on Autotrader of a variety of Fabia's the age of the OP's, it appears all the 1.2TSI's (including DSG) have the same declared emissions.

Skoda Fabia SE - Emissions and road tax - daveyjp

I was buying new Audis when the emissions tax rate came in.

Every option in the brochure had beside it a weight and when you optioned the vehicle the extra weight was added to adjust the emissions - it is not possible to test every combination of options, there are millions, so a calculation based on extra weight was used.

Some options are heavy such as a sunroof, larger wheels and tyres, electric seats v non motorised etc etc.

Edited by daveyjp on 10/02/2024 at 18:50