Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Honda jazzer

Hi all,

Current setup

Just wanted to ask your advice, I currently motor around in a petrol manual Honda Jazz 2009 1.4L approx. 8k miles pa, which is a superb little runner and I love her to bits BUT I would like to upgrade to something more modern. and manual gets tiresome

Requirements

• Automatic,
  • decent MPG
  • Reliable
  • 8k pa mileage by me
  • 5 door
  • petrol, ULEZ compliant
  • budget £9k to 13k

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Edited by Honda jazzer on 19/01/2024 at 15:14

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - badbusdriver

Well the obvious choice would be a Jazz auto. £13k is just about enough to sc***e into an early current shape hybrid. Otherwise there are plenty of previous shape examples to choose from. We had one of these and I thought it a truly great little thing and the CVT is perfectly matched to the engine. Only drawback is the lack of torque making it not the best for relaxed cruising at the legal limit as the CVT will send the revs flaring at the least provocation. This can be driven round to an extent by one of two means. Putting it in sport mode will actually keep the revs higher, but it does mean less fluctuation overall*. Other option is to take manual control via the paddles behind the wheel.

*Such is the "gearing" of the CVT, rpm at 70mph can be as little as 2300!

Budget is also enough to get into a current shape Yaris hybrid, which is also very much worthy of consideration for its reliability and low running costs. I'd imagine the hybrid system could manage at least 75mpg in urban running.

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - SLO76
Mk III Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT - Reliable, economical, easy to drive, bit bigger and nicer to drive than your older version. Look for one with full Honda history and check any gearbox fluid changes have been done.

Mazda 2 1.5 auto - proper old school torque converter automatic gearbox and simple chain driven petrol motor. These are great to drive and very tough. Rare as an auto and make sure you look underneath as rust protection isn’t the best. Avoid cars that've lived in seaside locations or too far ooop north if you can.

Toyota Yaris Hybrid auto - Great on fuel and unlikely to ever go wrong. Just looks a bit dated.

Ones to avoid - Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboom Powershift, any Fiat auto, any Renault auto, any Nissan CVT and anything fitted with Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall 1.2 Purec*** engine.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/01/2024 at 18:01

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - John F
Ones to avoid - .......... anything fitted with Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall 1.2 Purec*** engine.

I think this pejorative description of the award winning well engineered 1.2 puretech is now unfair. The crumbly cambelt problem was sorted over five years ago and hundreds of thousands of this cracking little engine are happily clocking up the miles all over the planet in various Stellantis models. We are still very pleased with our 2019 Pug 2008 1.2 puretech Allure Premium. There are bargains to be had for the pre 2020 'old shape' and the OP's budget would allow for the reliable intelligent ubiquitous Aisin autobox (in Peugeots it's called the 'EAT6') which makes it a pleasure to drive. An additional benefit these cold days is the clever design of the exhaust system enabling rapid hot air availability!

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Engineer Andy

Worth adding an early gen-3 (2014-19) Mazda3 2L auto to that list? It should be able to achieve 38-40mpg average. More of them around than the Mazda2, though a lot less than the manual version. Same issue on rust to look for as the 2, though it appears to be a lot less of an issue than for the previous two versions of the car.

thanks guys some great suggestions there, the Honda Jazz I like a lot but I would like something a little bit more..... man car :)

what do you think of the Honda Civic 2017 1.0L model onwards

thanks guys some great suggestions there, the Honda Jazz I like a lot but I would like something a little bit more..... man car :)

what do you think of the Honda Civic 2017 1.0L model onwards

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

New timing belt?

That will be £2k, thanks very much

Seriously though, definite no for the Civic.

If you want something of that general size, the Mazda 3 has already been suggested and is extremely reliable.

If you want to go in the direction of an SUV/Crosssover, how about a Mazda CX3?.

Or a Suzuki Vitara?, that budget is enough to get into a 1.4 Boosterjet (turbo) with 138bhp, and they are also extremely reliable.

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/01/2024 at 18:11

Indeed on the CX-3 - you get around the same mpg as the Mazda3, the lighter weight offset by the less streamlined profile. I test drove one in 2L auto form back in 2017 and it was nice, not quick, but fine. I preferred the seating position of the 3 for comfort, but the ride comfort was slightly better in the CX-3.

The auto version is for some reason slightly quicker to 60 than the Mazda3 (other way around for the manual) in 9.9sec vs 10.2sec.

When I was looking back in 2017, auto CX-3s were more common than auto Mazda3s.

The A/C (condenser? It's in the Good & Bad section of the HJ review) issues (same with the Mazda2, which shares many bits) should've been sorted by now.

The CX-3's boot isn't huge, and the 4x4 version reduces it down from 350L to 287L. Not sure if the same applies to non-4x4 'Sport' versions as well (e.g. ICE equipment in part of the underboot area). Best to check. The interior is quite 'snug', as it's based on the Mazda2, not the Mazda3, where the CX_3 and 3 share the 2L petrol engine.

thanks for all your recommendations guys I really appreciate it, I was so close to buying that Honda 1.0L 2017 model, it looks amazing but the belt issues look horrific unbelievable considering the civics rep

I could be persuaded with a hybrid i didn't consider those initially but they have some serious MPG BUT I wonder if they have more that can go wrong with them ?

I like the Mazda CX3, thats more my style, I'm looking for something that has man vibes about it. (eg not fiesta, Jazz even though they are amazing just not really doing it for me hehe)

The CX3 is a great car. Nice to drive, decent on fuel and very reliable. No timing belt to worry about, no turbo to fail, no complicated automated manual gearbox to write the car off and no DPF to clog. They’re mechanically simple and nice in every way.
Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Heidfirst

I could be persuaded with a hybrid i didn't consider those initially but they have some serious MPG BUT I wonder if they have more that can go wrong with them ?

You should be just about able to get into an early 2017> generation Toyota Corolla hybrid for £13K, failing that the earlier Auris (the Corolla is a significant improvement) hybrid. These are about as reliable a car as you can get.

Edited by Heidfirst on 23/01/2024 at 20:15

thanks for all your recommendations guys I really appreciate it, I was so close to buying that Honda 1.0L 2017 model, it looks amazing but the belt issues look horrific unbelievable considering the civics rep

I like the Mazda CX3, thats more my style, I'm looking for something that has man vibes about it. (eg not fiesta, Jazz even though they are amazing just not really doing it for me hehe)

The stipulation of the car to be an automatic is probably what's limiting your choices, unfortunately. I had similar issues when I was looking to replace my (then 11yo) Mazda3 1.6 petrol back in early 2017.

I liked (and still do) the styling of both the CX-3 and gen-3 Mazda3, but wanted a more potent performance (the uplift over my car with their 2L engine wasn't as much as I'd hoped).

Ideally what I'd have liked is the VAG 1.4TSI 150 engine (better performance, about the similar mpg, maybe slightly better) in a Mazda 3 / CX-3 or (now) CX-30 with its nice smooth, proven reliable TC auto box (not the VAG dual clutch unit).

I wondered at BBD's suggestion of the Suzuki Vitara - what I wasn't sure is if that car was paired with a TC auto, a dual clutch unit or an 'automated' single clutch unit. The latter often aren't the smoothest to use generally, and in a good number of makes are associated with poor reliability.

What type of gearbox may depend upon which engine - the earlier models had a non turbo 1.6 petrol, later ones a 1.4T petrol in - I think - both mild hybrid (no motive power) and standard hybrid (similar type to the Toyota in what it does, though apparently not as good). The full hybrid seems to not get that good reviews.

Nice 'chunky' looks on the outside, quite 'rugged' in the interior, though a bit dated with hard plastics for my liking. Whether you think that has more 'man vibes' is personal opinion.

I wondered at BBD's suggestion of the Suzuki Vitara - what I wasn't sure is if that car was paired with a TC auto, a dual clutch unit or an 'automated' single clutch unit. The latter often aren't the smoothest to use generally, and in a good number of makes are associated with poor reliability.

What type of gearbox may depend upon which engine - the earlier models had a non turbo 1.6 petrol, later ones a 1.4T petrol in - I think - both mild hybrid (no motive power) and standard hybrid (similar type to the Toyota in what it does, though apparently not as good). The full hybrid seems to not get that good reviews.

Nice 'chunky' looks on the outside, quite 'rugged' in the interior, though a bit dated with hard plastics for my liking. Whether you think that has more 'man vibes' is personal opinion.

Yes Andy, Suzuki (though not alone) seem to have made things quite tricky when it comes to identifying auto transmissions!.

I do know for sure that the n/a 1.6 has a T/C auto (whereas the mechanically identical SX4 S Cross used a CVT with this engine!?). And I'd say I'm about 99% certain that the 1.4 Boosterjet also uses a T/C from launch until the MHEV in around 2020.

I am also 100% sure that the 1.5 full hybrid uses the awful AGS single clutch automated manual.

What I am not so sure about is the MHEV versions of the 1.4 Boosterjet (circa 2020 on), though I'd still say I'm maybe 75% certain it has a T/C.

I'm not so sure about the 1.0 Boosterjet because while I was under the impression it was T/C (as the Swift with this engine is), i was informed on a (HJ) forum thread a while back that it actually has a DCT. This was a shock to me because I wasn't aware that Suzuki used them at all. I have not confirmed this though and can't actually be sure it was the Vitara, it may have been the SX4 S Cross!.

Doesn't seem to be very easy to get definitive info, but maybe the best plan would be to ask on a Suzuki forum?, surely they would know for sure which model Vitara used which auto transmission!.

The CX3 seems to be well enough rated in the handling department, but then so is the Vitara, no doubt helped by being lighter than what you'd expect or indeed most of the competition. Assuming I am correct in that the Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet is T/C, I'd take one over a CX3 2.0 auto. Nothing against the CX3, but I think i'd prefer the Vitara's loftier stance along with the punchy 1.4 turbo.

Sounds a bit like the ambiguous situation with the Volvo V40 (2012-19) auto that even dealers didn't appear to know whether one model had a TC box or the dreaded Powershift - apparently it wasn't like Fords where they sold cars with the latter up to a certain date, then back to TCs.

There was a Vitara 1.4T (possibly an MHEV) at a local dealer, and it looked from their blurb online that this wasn't a TC box but an automated single clutch unit. The HJ review doesn't say which one is paired to the 1.4T or 1.4T MHEV, just the full hybrid. VERY confusing. That's why I wasn't sure they were worth recommending, at least until it was definitely confirmed which box was paired with which engine and when.

I gave up trying to find out on the Volvo when I was looking to replace my Mazda3 back in 2016/17.

The Vitara makes a good use of its footprint - from the outside, it isn't that big, but has a decent-sized 375L boot. More of a boxy shape than the CX-3, which probably makes the difference in efficient use of space. I like the exterior look of the Vitara.

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Electric Leaper

A Lexus CT200h will fit the bill perfectly. I've currently got one and I'm averaging nearly 50mpg and nothing goes wrong. You'll find a nice one in your price range, even from a dealer.

I really don't mind the CX 3 to be honest and the fact no timing belt etc really makes it appealing , not so much availability on the market but it does look a solid bet.

The Lexus is not bad at all, I don't mind that either and has some good MPG and a nice sort of sporty shape to it, what's it like Mechanically ? the CX3 seems like a mechanical champion (eg well built)

Also do you guys think in general with Hybrids there is more that can go wrong so prone to needing more attention

The Lexus is not bad at all, I don't mind that either and has some good MPG and a nice sort of sporty shape to it, what's it like Mechanically ? the CX3 seems like a mechanical champion (eg well built)

TBH, I don't find that economy figures stated by Electric Leaper particularly impressive (for a hybrid), they are OK, but not brilliant. Possibly doesn't do much urban running (which is where the biggest benefits would be had)?

Also do you guys think in general with Hybrids there is more that can go wrong so prone to needing more attention

In the case of some hybrids, possibly. In the case of the CT200h specifically (and its Toyota cousins using the same powertrain), most definitely not. If anything, I'd expect the little Lexus to be more reliable than a CX3, though that is a relative term here!

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Electric Leaper

TBH, I don't find that economy figures stated by Electric Leaper particularly impressive (for a hybrid), they are OK, but not brilliant. Possibly doesn't do much urban running (which is where the biggest benefits would be had)?

Correct BBD, we live quite rural and need to use a 70mph dual carriageway pretty much daily hence the near 50mpg average. When pootling in town we do see 60-65mpg.

The only negative with the CT is that it is a very low car. Sometimes when parked near a high-ish curb the door does sc***e it when opened if you’re not careful.

Edited by Electric Leaper on 25/01/2024 at 23:19

Thanks for the replies so far, the Lexus does look really good BUT from what I understand they no longer make them :( which I feel could be a challenge for parts in the future and also affect resale.

for me i mostly do Urban trips with once or twice a week motorway max is a 40 mile round trip, usually 15 mile round trip is the norm for me

May I ask the forums thoughts on the following

Maxda MX 3 (its £14k but has stolen my heart and i'd try and bragain down)

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401265914038?a...0

Volkswagon E golf

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-locati...0

Hyundai Bayon

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401035223868?s...a

Edited by Honda jazzer on 28/01/2024 at 15:26

Well firstly, in no way would the Lexus CT200h not being on sale any longer affect parts supply or resale value (any more than normal depreciation anyway).

The Mazda (an MX30 rather than an MX3) is well known, and hampered by its small battery. If you like it and have no need for a longer range, fine. But as someone who rarely does longer journeys by choice, but occasionally has to, it would be too much of a compromise for me. Plus, i'd say that small range is more of a concern regarding resale value than the CT200h not being on sale any longer. As battery tech improves and costs less, who would want to buy one in 5 years time?.

It comes as a surprise to me that the battery in the Golf E is no bigger than that of the MX30, so ultimately I'd rule it out for the same reason.

The Bayon?, well we actually took delivery of ours (Motability car) a few months ago and are generally happy with it. It is a fairly unremarkable wee car though, not something you'd form an attachment to. Ours is a high spec model with heated steering wheel (a big plus point for me), whereas the one you've linked appears to be a fairly low spec. Given the choice between a Bayon and the Mazda CX3 you were keen on earlier, I'd take the Mazda all day long.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/01/2024 at 15:46

I agree with BBD on that. The MX-30 has a very limited range and is also a first generation EV for Mazda. Admittedly the do now have a tie-up with Toyota on hybrids and EVs, which is good, but I'd be wary, especially with a first generation car and whilst EVs generally are experiencing increases in insurance way about that of ICE cars, and depreciation.

I think that the OP should stick to a simpler ICE car on their budget, and because they would need to do a decent amount of research first before taking the plunge on an EV to make sure they can easily charge it as necessary for their needs, which would probably mean having a home charger fitted and having sufficient fast public chargers for their regular routes.

Going for a car solely on looks or how it drives on local roads without sufficient research (i.e. heart ruling head) is a recipe for disaster in my view, especially on a limited budget and in the current times.

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Adampr

If you do short trips and you have off-street parking at home, an EV could be a good idea. If you don't have off-street parking, don't bother. I had an EV, which I thoroughly.enjoyed, but it would have been a pain to charge if I couldn't do it at home.

As others have said, the MX30 has a very limited range, but that might not matter if you really only do 40 mile trips and can charge at home. Other options (Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe) have more range and are available for less. However, they are not as nice to look at or sit in. Hyundai Ioniq might also be worth a look.

Edited by Adampr on 29/01/2024 at 13:30

thanks for your thoughts, i do have off street parking at my house (the best thing EVER lol) its so handy, I could not go back to street parking honestly .

Maybe the charging thing would start to ruin my enjoyment of driving over time, I plan to have the next car for about 5 years then probably electric will be cheaper and better (the Chinese are coming) and more charging points etc

I do like the Mazda CX3 seems reliable, looks good, spacious

another question if I may ask, I have a Honda Jazz 2009 about 75k ok the clock, its taken a few dents in its time :( (about 3 not major but noticeable) do you think it would be better to part exchange OR buy the new car then sell privately the Jazz

Edited by Honda jazzer on 03/02/2024 at 15:35

Selling a car privately will almost always get more for the car, but for many, part exchanging takes the hassle out of it all, especially if they aren't car-savvy, good at negotiating or just don't have the time. Outfits like WBAC etc probably give a price in between, probably nearer to the px value.

If you buy from a dealer (main or not) and px your existing car there, they will likely either offer you a great price on the new car but a low offer for the px, or the other way around. It depends upon how the sales person view you and the deal, as well as what you're buying relative to what you'd px, value-wise.

For example, my dad (15 months ago) got a px of about £1200 (so he said) for his 08 plate Fiesta 1.25 Style (near bottom of the range car), in reasonable condition, very low mileage (~30k miles). His new 20 plate Fiesta 1.0T Titanium X (25k on the clock) cost around £16.4k if I recall, so his cost to change was around £15.2k.

I suspect they bumped the px of his car up so he was so pleased that he didn't notice he not-so-good bargain for the 'new' (2.5yo) car. If he tried to px the new car today, he'd be lucky to get £11k - £11.5k for it, partly because prices have dropped, but because whoever sells it on has to make a profit and pay 20% VAT.

With a private sale, no VAT to pay. Just more hassle unless you're lucky / savvy. Plus do you have the space on your drive for two cars if the old one doesn't sell in time, or no car at all if you get a good offer on the old one and the replacement hasn't arrived?

That's why people px, including myself (back in early 2006). I didn't care, because my previous car, a Nissan Micra, was at most worth (then) £650 ish. I took a px of £450 because I was getting a great deal on my replacement (actually new, only del miles) car, a Mazda 3, from Motorpoint (costing £10.3k).

The cheapest price I'd got elsewhere was a slightly lower spec model for £1k more via a broker site. That was back when cars were cheap due to oversupply. The market, whilst on the way down, is far above that, accounting for general inflation.

I've heard a lot of nice things about the Mazda CX-3, but 'spacious' wasn't one of them. You don't mean the CX-5 or newer CX-30 (which is based on the latest Mazda3) and in between the CX-3 and CX-5 in terms of space?

I recently got £1500 for my mothers rusty 2009 base model Jazz with no Mot against a Mk III Jazz. I planned on fixing it and flogging it myself (expecting a sc*** offer of £500 or so) but at £1500 It wasn’t worth the cost of fixing it to sell on really.

A solid Jazz auto however will always fetch decent money privately. But selling cheap cars can be a proper pain. People with no money expect the world for a couple of grand.
I recently got £1500 for my mothers rusty 2009 base model Jazz with no Mot against a Mk III Jazz. I planned on fixing it and flogging it myself (expecting a sc*** offer of £500 or so) but at £1500 It wasn’t worth the cost of fixing it to sell on really. A solid Jazz auto however will always fetch decent money privately. But selling cheap cars can be a proper pain. People with no money expect the world for a couple of grand.

I suspect that a lot of ordinary people don't realise that second hand car price inflation has outstripped general inflation to a huge degree, especially at the bottom end of the market.

I keep hearing accounts of cars that in normal times would cost £500 - £3k going for twice as much or more, depending on the model.

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Xileno

I follow this auction channel, it's interesting to get the view from the auction hall. Higher priced cars softening but the small cars especially autos making strong money.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCHGLUbhcXc

I follow this auction channel, it's interesting to get the view from the auction hall. Higher priced cars softening but the small cars especially autos making strong money.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCHGLUbhcXc

Yep. I was amazed when my dad told me how much he got px for his near base model 08 plate Fiesta 1.25 (£1200 back in Nov 2022). I looked up on my local KIA dealer's site how much they'd px the car for today and it was around £950. My early 2006 Mazda3 1.6 petrol (mid spec TS2 model) would be lucky to get £300.

Small petrol hatchbacks are in demand as they're simple and cheap to run, and most are ULEZ compliant given 2004-ish the rough cut off date.

The top end cars at that dealer are much harder to shift than the small ones. I wonder why auto versions are popular - is it because traffic is so bad nowadays that people want cars that are suited to that environment (that's what I would've done had I replaced mine), and/or perhaps an increasing number of new drivers learn on hybrid cars that may be an auto and thus cannot legally drive a manual?

what do you guys think of these

Kia Rio GT Line:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311164...

1.4T Ceed 3:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401235...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304045...

V40 T3:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311103...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401045...

If the Rio is big enough and the Kia warranty checks out (it needs full Kia service history - call them with the reg number), I'd go for that.

The white Ceed being sold privately would also fit the bill. It's quite high mileage, so service history will be absolutely key.

I wouldn't consider the other Ceed because the dealer has 'carz' in their name so you already know they're an i****..

The V40s would be tempting, but they're a 'premium' car so you're paying a lot for a badge and they do t have the warranty that the Kias (should) have.

I like Kia’s, but these all use a highly complex twin clutch automated manual gearbox which although we don’t hear much from Kia owners about problems this type of gearbox design has a horrid reputation with pretty much every other firm that’s tried to make them work. I would only own one while it was covered by the original manufacturer warranty (needs a full Kia dealer history all done within 1,000 miles of due mileage and within a month of 12mth term) as failures will be cripplingly expensive to sort.

The Volvo V40 auto used Fords horrendously fragile Powershift twin clutch auto box, one to be avoided at all costs. They did eventually stamp using them (there were class actions across the globe relating to this transmission) but I don’t know what year they stopped and what gearbox Volvo replaced it with. I wouldn’t touch a Powershift gearbox.

At this money the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto is a great bet. Simple non-turbocharged engine and a tried and tested torque converter gearbox. They’re very robust. The Mazda 2, CX-3 and CX-30 in petrol form all make great automatic options.

Thanks so much slo76 and great analysis on the different types of automatic gear boxes , I would never have guessed.

I like the Mazda 2 and 3 but I think what's taking my heart is I'm the Cx3 it seems such a good car overall .

Can I ask why do these manufacturers use these dodgy gear boxes I get it , if it's a first of its type and it will naturally come with teething problems and I'm guessing it's to save money . Sometimes like with the honda civic 1.0 2017 the timing belt , they spent decades building up that models rep and then kaput , recalls and complaining galore

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - catsdad

Manufacturers persist for a range of reasons. I suspect many drivers aren’t much interested nowadays in their cars’ mechanics. To them one automatic is much like another. Fleets don’t care so long as they work until they sell them on. Similarly manufacturers are in the clear as long as they last, as long as their warranty. An attraction for manufacturers is that some of these new style autos achieve good mpg and emissions figures.

I suspect that problems are often relatively rare as a percentage of units sold. Occasionally manufacturers get caught out e.g. VAG with the first DSG boxes but there are probably millions running around just fine. I read (maybe on here?) that the Honda belt issue might be due to the engine not being an entirely in-house design.

They use these 'dodgy' gearboxes because, in every way other than robustness, they are better than the alternatives. Smoother, more efficient and much better to drive. Torque converters are very old and borderline ridiculous technology. They rarely.go wrong, but they need specialist attention when they do.

Dual clutch gearboxes were supposed to be the end of both automatic and manual gearboxes, but people drive them like a TC gearbox (and why wouldn't you given they're advertised as automatic) and they don't like it.

Renault's 'dog box' works wonderfully (in my opinion) but we will need to see whether it stands the test of time.

Of course, the solution is to do away with gearboxes entirely, but that means electric engines...

Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - corax

They use these 'dodgy' gearboxes because, in every way other than robustness, they are better than the alternatives. Smoother, more efficient and much better to drive. Torque converters are very old and borderline ridiculous technology.

Why are they ridiculous?

They use these 'dodgy' gearboxes because, in every way other than robustness, they are better than the alternatives. Smoother, more efficient and much better to drive. Torque converters are very old and borderline ridiculous technology.

Why are they ridiculous?

I suppose they are saying that they are less efficient and not so good, performance-wise, when driven hard. I think that's rather harsh these days, as the best TC boxes are really only about 10% less efficient at best than a DCT.

TC boxes are, on the other hand, far better suited to driving in heavy stop-start traffic (as CVTs are and probably even more so) in terms of reliability. The thing is that an increasing percentage of the population lives in and drives regularly through areas with heavy traffic, where DCTs are just not suitable IMHO.

The problem with DCTs in such use is that the driver has zero control how the dual clutch system operates, and thus would need to make an educated guess as to when and the extent to which the system is slipping the clutch, which means driving the car like a manual.

Even so (as I found out with my manual transmission car), 'being careful' in regular prolonged heavy traffic does not mean the clutch will last a long time. It's why my next car (assuming I can afford it) will have a TC or CVT transmission, and not a DCT (at least not a VAG, Ford or possibly Jatco-designed one).

Why are they ridiculous?

I said borderline ridiculous. Using today's technology and engineering and takes with designing an automatic gearbox, I think it's very unlikely you'd end up with what amounts to a paddle wheel in buckfast.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402046217484?s...a

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310173072015?s...a

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312295122779?s...a

what do you think is the best deal out of these 3

Not keen on white myself, but out of these three, the 2019 car simply because it is an SE-L rather than a Sport. Smaller wheels with taller tyres is always going to be preferable to me.

It is also 3 and 2 years younger than the other two but barely any more expensive.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/02/2024 at 20:03

Not keen on white myself, but out of these three, the 2019 car simply because it is an SE-L rather than a Sport. Smaller wheels with taller tyres is always going to be preferable to me.

It is also 3 and 2 years younger than the other two but barely any more expensive.

That 2019 car does seem like an unusually low price for what you're getting. Spidey sense tingling on that one. May be nothing, but...

Assuming equally good service history and condition I too would favour the newer lower spec SE. It’s a bit softer riding, tyres will be cheaper and the leather in the Sport models isn’t the best of quality and ages badly from what I’m finding while looking at other Mazda’s.

I'd look at Mazda approved used cars too, they might be a bit dearer but they’re typically in better condition (they get the pick of ex PCP stock and trade ins) and it will come with a years Mazda warranty instead of the r****** aftermarket warranties most smaller dealer put on their stock. An AA warranty may be worthy, but check what claims limit the dealer has put on it, they pay less if they limit the liability.

That’s not to say any of these is a bad option, just watch for poorly repaired paintwork and missing or patchy service history. Mazda service records are online now so look for receipts (preferably main dealer) or call the nearest dealer to verify the history of there are no service receipts in the car. Often cars are rejected by main dealers and punted to the trade if there’s little or no history or poor paint.

A quick look at the 19 plate dealers reviews suggests a lack of customer care and likely auction bought stock that’s not well prepared. Sometimes guys like this lane a good car but more often than not it’ll have something amiss that landed it there so be very thorough. These are very reliable cars, but rust is always an issue with Mazda’s as they age and all the more so if there’s been any poorly repaired accident damage. There are a number of car history checking firms you can use that offer thorough background checks to see not only if there’s any outstanding finance or if it’s been written off but also if any insurance firm has sold the car as salvage or if they’ve paid out for repairs. Insurance firms are scum and will repair the car using cheap pattern parts if they can get away with it. Check the bodywork carefully and get under it for a good look. Look for numbers painted/marked on suspension parts, this could mean used parts involved in a repair.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/02/2024 at 00:20

Well spotted re customer care on the 19 plate it does seem to good to be true to be honest . A fair bit below the other cars.

Is there much difference between the Cx 3 sport and non sport . I tried to find out online but not much available

Yeah I know what you mean re cheap skimp as much as possible repairs , they just need you to drive it off the fore court and then job done any problems are now yours . I guess it's that old buyer beware

Is there much difference between the Cx 3 sport and non sport . I tried to find out online but not much available

You can find and compare exact specs on the Parkers website.

Personally, I'd avoid the sport simply due to the bigger wheels with lower profile tyres (even though they aren't as low a profile as some). If memory serves, the bigger wheels on the sport will have a diamond cut finish. This may look good in the showroom (if you like bling), but it isn't very hard wearing and doesn't take long to start looking very scruffy.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/04/2024 at 15:52

Thanks bad bus driver , much appreciated

..... Torque converters are very old and borderline ridiculous technology.

Why are they ridiculous?

I said borderline ridiculous. Using today's technology and engineering and takes with designing an automatic gearbox, I think it's very unlikely you'd end up with what amounts to a paddle wheel in buckfast.

Looks as though my January mention of a circa 2019 Peugeot 2008 with its excellent powertrain remains unconsidered. I don't think Aisin would be pleased by this presumably derogatory (does the 15% alcoholic content provide less resistance to the paddle wheel?) description of its reliable intelligent EAT6 (and its modern development the EAT8) autobox.

Why are they ridiculous?

Looks as though my January mention of a circa 2019 Peugeot 2008 with its excellent powertrain remains unconsidered. I don't think Aisin would be pleased by this presumably derogatory (does the 15% alcoholic content provide less resistance to the paddle wheel?) description of its reliable intelligent EAT6 (and its modern development the EAT8) autobox.

It's the caffeine and the blessing by monks that makes it work, John. I've nothing against Aisin or Peugeot, I just think torque converters are a strange (although clearly effective) invention.

Why are they ridiculous?

It's the caffeine and the blessing by monks that makes it work, John. I've nothing against Aisin or Peugeot, I just think torque converters are a strange (although clearly effective) invention.

Whilst they aren't as efficient (fuel and performance) as DCTs - nowadays only 10% off, 15-20 years ago more like 20-30% - they are far more reliable / longer-lived when used in the urban setting or regularly stop-start heavy traffic.

CVTs are technically the best of both worlds if done properly (which they haven't always), except for the 'whining' issue when full power is required. Some people prefer the smoothness of TC auto boxes, and I can attest to how smooth the Mazda units are having test driven a CX-3 with one.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 13/04/2024 at 20:56

Small update from me, I went to test drive today a 2017 Mazda CX3 and unfortunately its b***** tiny inside, the car itself was really nice eg finish etc, but rear seats have the leg room of a economy airline on the budget tighter than ryan air in a recession and the boot size was a lot smaller, the boot size I can handle but even the ceiling height for anyone 6ft you are sc***ing your hair fibres 0on the roof :(

I did try the nissan qashqai, that was more spacious inside and again and equally super finish, the sun roof was absolutely amazing but I don't know to much about that car, I do see them out and about a lot

Maybe I have to go up a bit for my budget to say £16k

Small update from me, I went to test drive today a 2017 Mazda CX3 and unfortunately its b***** tiny inside, the car itself was really nice eg finish etc, but rear seats have the leg room of a economy airline on the budget tighter than ryan air in a recession and the boot size was a lot smaller, the boot size I can handle but even the ceiling height for anyone 6ft you are sc***ing your hair fibres 0on the roof :(

I did try the nissan qashqai, that was more spacious inside and again and equally super finish, the sun roof was absolutely amazing but I don't know to much about that car, I do see them out and about a lot

Weirdly, I drove a CX3 today as well. The one I drove was not very well looked after, but they are obviously nice cars. If you liked it other than the size, you would be able to get a CX30 for £15k-£16k just about.

Problem with the Mazda CX-3 is that it's name implies it to be based on the (Golf sized) Mazda 3. When in fact it is actually based on the Mazda 2, which is a Polo/Fiesta rival, albeit one on the small size next most in that class!.

The CX-30 mentioned above is based on the Mazda 3, so while by no means the most spacious option in its class, should be fine or your needs.

thanks guys much appreciated, its crazy that the CX3 looks quite spacious from the outside but once you get inside its just not , such a shame. It seems like an amazing car , I'll check out the CX 30s

“I did try the nissan qashqai, that was more spacious inside and again and equally super finish, the sun roof was absolutely amazing but I don't know to much about that car, I do see them out and about a lot”

Don’t have a great reputation for reliability, they are more Renault than Nissan underneath. The 1.2 TCe petrol in particular is fragile, while the newer 1.3 turbo that’s shared with Renault and Mercedes is so far proving more robust, but it is early days.
Recommendations £9k to £13k Automatic reliable - Alby Back
We’ve had two Qashqais. Totally and utterly reliable in both cases. Both cars were run from 0-100,000 miles without problems of any kind .
However, they couldn’t have been described as interesting or fun to drive. Just useful but bland things that fulfilled a purpose at the time.
Wouldn’t rush to buy one again.

You definitely should be able to get into a Toyota Corolla for that, any particular reason why you have not looked at one?

Thanks headfirst I'll give the Toyota a look , what about an electric car , I'm quite appealing with the low moving parts I hope this translates into less potential problems and if course the cheap MPG

Obv the down side is the potential mileage distance etc

Thanks headfirst I'll give the Toyota a look , what about an electric car , I'm quite appealing with the low moving parts I hope this translates into less potential problems and if course the cheap MPG

I'm not against the idea of an electric car myself but there are one or two caveats, most obviously the ability to charge at home.

Assuming that is a yes, then you need to consider the miles you do and/or how much you trust the charging infrastructure. mcb 100 seems to have no issues, but SLO's experience hasn't been very positive, though that may be (at least in part) Scotland vs England?

Re the MG, I've had cause recently to worry about their quality, long term reliability and parts prices. Not necessarily relevant to the electric drivetrain, but would have me reluctant all the same. Surprisingly, they are also not the cheapest option unless you are comparing battery range like for like (in which case the 61kWh MG5 is best value). But right now on Autotrader there is a 2024 Nissan Leaf with the smaller 39kWh battery for £13995. If you can manage with that battery, that seems almost suspiciously cheap!. But also plenty of Stellantis cars (Citroen, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc) with the 50kWh battery, £16k is enough to get you into a 2023 Peugeot e208 or e2008, a Corse-e or Mokka-e.

Unless you get an early 1.2T (& which was not fitted with an auto box) the current generation of Corolla in the UK are hybrids, so you will be partway there .... Indeed, no doubt that is partly why they are regarded as so reliable & subsequently beloved by private hire taxi drivers :)

Edited by Heidfirst on 30/04/2024 at 10:23

You definitely should be able to get into a Toyota Corolla for that, any particular reason why you have not looked at one?

And any particular reason why you haven't mentioned considering or trying Stellantis cars with their ubiquitous powertrain consisting of the 1.2 puretech plus Aisin auto? I've mentioned our Peugeot 2008 in just two posts above, now difficult to find amongst the lengthy numerous contributions from others. As long as you avoid pre-2019 examples they are likely to be reliable. This excellent powertrain is found in many other Stellantis models, e.g. Citroens and Vauxhall Crosslands. Here's a typical example...

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202404168699085?s...a

Great replies and thanks again, just to confirm I have off street parking in front of my house and can charge my car overnight from mains .

Wow this car looks awesome 1.2L and 46 MPG

Will take a further look

Do you guys think electric cars will be more reliable mechanically than combustion engines in the future

“ Do you guys think electric cars will be more reliable mechanically than combustion engines in the future”

With fewer moving parts and no emissions control concerns EV’s should on paper be much more reliable. Battery degradation is less of a concern with later models, I’ve seen 40kw Leaf’s with well over 100,000 miles and still running on 85% battery capacity or more. Autoalex on YouTube recently bought a 450,000 mile ex taxi Tesla that he’s been testing out over the last few weeks with much enthusiasm. Our Leaf is on 42,000 miles and has so far not put a foot wrong.

If you can charge at home and you can afford a late model Leaf that has low miles (high mileage EV’s are likely to have seen regular fast charging which can damage the battery pack) at under £15,000 then they make a lot of sense.

We use ours for commuting (40 mile round trip) to work and for the bulk of our local running about. It’s capable of going further but after previous issues with the reliability and cost of public chargers we now restrict ourselves largely to journeys it can manage without a charge - 60 mile radius, which to be fair covers 95% of our needs. We have another car for longer runs.

There’s a great deal of pleasure to be had from not having to buy fuel. My commute takes about 30% charge daily on winter and I plug it in it every second night taking about 25kwh to recharge at 7.5p p/kwh so my fuel costs are a fraction of what they were. I recommend trying one out, they’re very relaxing and startlingly quick to drive. The Leaf is very practical too. Quality isn’t up to Toyota or Mazda standards however.

The downside other than longer journeys being a bit of a pain is the higher depreciation. The trade are unsure of EV values and absolutely hammer them used so you need to buy it right and plan for keeping it long term. If you don’t do at least a 10k p/a mileage then it’s likely depreciation will more than wipe out your fuel saving over say a used Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/04/2024 at 00:47

Wow this car looks awesome 1.2L and 46 MPG

Will take a further look

Just be aware of the dangers of potholes and the replacement cost of the very large tyres on this top of the range model!. It also has the "diamond cut" finish on the wheels I mentioned earlier, which can get very scruffy looking when (rather than if) the lacquer starts to lift. I'd suggest looking for a lower spec version with more modest sized (and ideally with the standard silver painted finish) wheels.