Nissan Qashqai 1.5 tdi - Ignition switch change - sparky100
Hi, my daughters Qashqai starts ok with the key but the steering lock won’t engage and the central locking doesn’t work. I can get a ignition switch from the breakers with 2 keys but I am wondering if something needs to be reprogrammed to make it work. Looks like a simple switch but don’t really want to waste time and money if it doesn’t work. Hope someone could advise. Thanks. Sparky 100.
Nissan Qashqai 1.5 tdi - Ignition switch change - Andrew-T

You don't say how old the car is. Failed central locking in a mature car used always to mean a wiring fault in the driver's door hinge area - where most of the flexing happens over many years. That may have nothing to do with the key itself, and unless you fancy fiddling with broken wires it may need a new loom :-) On the other hand there may just be a tired switch or contact somewhere else.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5 tdi - Ignition switch change - elekie&a/c doctor
The plastic switch is a simple change , but I don’t think that’s the problem. More likely to be the steering lock mechanism. If you fit s/hand parts you’ll run into trouble with the immobiliser system not recognising the chipped key , so the car won’t start . It’s possible to buy a new lock assembly with new key blades that can be transferred onto your existing remote fobs .
Thanks for replies, do you know what the chip in the fob actually communicates with, is it something on the ignition switch or something in the car itself. Just wondering because the breakers switch comes with 2 keys on which I can take the blades out and swap them out with the originals and use the chip on the old key. Hope that makes sense. Sparky 100. Thanks.
Nissan Qashqai 1.5 tdi - Ignition switch change - elekie&a/c doctor
The chip in the key communicates to the immobiliser system via the transducer ring on the steering lock . If you can use your original fobs , and transfer the blades , then that should work . Think you’ll need to remove the airbag, steering wheel and switches to replace the lock which is attached by shear bolts .
The chip in the key communicates to the immobiliser system via the transducer ring on the steering lock . If you can use your original fobs , and transfer the blades , then that should work . Think you’ll need to remove the airbag, steering wheel and switches to replace the lock which is attached by shear bolts .

Hi, managed to get the ignition switch off by punching the shear bolts round.
Turns out there’s a small piece of metal that engages the steering lock which also sends signal to central locking, this had worn down and broke off a pivot.
I found one on a large Auction site and fitted it, works great now. Sparky 100.